Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Lifetime Powertrain Warranty

Old 10-02-2015, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifetime Powertrain Warranty

Does anyone know whether all scheduled maintenance NEEDS to be done at a Jeep dealership in order to maintain it's validity?
Old 10-02-2015, 04:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I had my 5 year inspection it didn't matter. They did suggest I keep my receipts for whatever maintenance I did such as oil changes etc. Won't matter for me anymore as the engine is getting pulled for an LS swap.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:36 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Any service that only the dealer can do in order to maintain the warranty has to be done free of charge, according to the Federal Trade Commission.
An example of that is the free 5 year inspections.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My next inspection is on 2/18. Love my 08 with the warranty. Wouldn't trade it inf for a new one.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I had mine inspected. All they told me was that I need to have it done every five years and that they only remind you the first time. After that your on your own to remember when it's due. I'm not sure about needing receipts to make a claim under it. It would be nice if someone could chime in that has made a claim against their lifetime warranty.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wolf_425
It would be nice if someone could chime in that has made a claim against their lifetime warranty.
I had a lower intake manifold gasket on my '08 replaced under the powertrain warranty (after my 3/36 limited warranty had expired, but 6 months before my 5-year inspection). No charge. There was no maintenance documentation required at all.
When my 5-year inspection rolled around, it, too, was free, with no paperwork required. I didn't have any other claims after that; traded the Jeep this summer.
Old 10-04-2015, 07:45 AM
JK Newbie

My dealer told me all SCHEDULED maintenance and oil changes had to be done by the dealership in order to maintain the lifetime warranty. They also said if I hit 3k miles before the scheduled oil change I had to bring it in or it would void my warranty. The only charge me $32 for the oil changes though.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dok1313
My dealer told me all SCHEDULED maintenance and oil changes had to be done by the dealership in order to maintain the lifetime warranty. They also said if I hit 3k miles before the scheduled oil change I had to bring it in or it would void my warranty. The only charge me $32 for the oil changes though.

Well, that's simply not true. At least not for the Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty that came standard on the original poster's 2008 Wrangler. It might be true of some other "lifetime warranty" products purchased through dealers for other model years.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:03 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Splash
Well, that's simply not true. At least not for the Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty that came standard on the original poster's 2008 Wrangler. It might be true of some other "lifetime warranty" products purchased through dealers for other model years.
Actually that is true. I didn't say it applied to him. I said my jeep dealer told me that was the stipulation for the lifetime powertrain warranty. Obviously none of us know what the parameters of his situationare, we can only offer similar instances. The day I bought mine the sales manager walked me to the service counter and made my first 3 mos. appt. for me.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

The problem with these threads about the fabled "lifetime powertrain warranty" is that they are inevitably derailed into confusion by well-meaning folks posting experiences unrelated to the posters' question.

I'm not busting your chops for sharing what your dealer told you ... it's a free bulletin board ... but since you apparently own a 2011, the lifetime warranty you have experience with is not the same as the powertrain warranty that applies to 2008 (and some 2007 and 2009) JKs. When someone asks a question about that particular warranty, the question isn't clarified by offering up something unrelated. That's all I'm saying -- it's more helpful to post in the context of the question that was asked.

If your dealer sold you a warranty with the hoops you mentioned, and you're happy with that, swell.

Quick Reply: Lifetime Powertrain Warranty