Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Lifetime Powertrain Warrenty

Old 11-26-2007, 02:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifetime Powertrain Warrenty

Has anyone heard anything more about when the lifetime powertrain warrenty offer will end? Is it still only being offered through the MY'08? Or will it be an ongoing thing?

Thanks
Old 11-27-2007, 05:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't think anyone knows for sure. I asked the sales manager at the dealership I'm ordering mine through and he said he didn't know.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

If Chrysler is unlucky, other automakers will follow suite. Then I believe that it would become an industry standard, and it that case they'd be stupid to repeal it.

At least in the U.S. *grumbles*
Old 12-01-2007, 09:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by echofoxtrot
If Chrysler is unlucky, other automakers will follow suite. Then I believe that it would become an industry standard, and it that case they'd be stupid to repeal it.

At least in the U.S. *grumbles*
I don't see the european status builders adjusting their warranties -- their buyers don't care about keeping a car for more than the shortest lease cycle. I think Jeep is safe with their new unique lifetime warranty program -- it's a ballsy "outside the box" move that the bean counters of other manufacturers just won't approve. Says a lot about their leadership and confidence in their product.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:34 PM
JK Newbie

The lifetime warranty is going to bring people into the dealership - especially those who were waffling between these vehicles and something else. But as for Jeep corporate, the lifetime warranty is a reasonably safe bet. The warranty does not transfer. Most people sell their new cars in a couple of years. No warranty to the next guy. Obviously, any "abuse" will void it... Ouch, gotta be careful here. Lastly, the warranty requires that you bring the vehicle in once per year to the dealership for a service.

I think that's where they are going to get us. First, with a well versed service writer in attendance, we'll be buying left and right this and that to keep our lifetime warranty requirements fulfilled. Secondly, with a check of the computer codes, they will be able to determine if certain abusive actions have taken place (overheating? over-revving? etc).

I figure that Steve and I are going to get hosed pretty darn good each time we go into the dealership. Let's call it our "annual bend over and smile" visit!

angela
Old 12-03-2007, 06:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Laneco
Lastly, the warranty requires that you bring the vehicle in once per year to the dealership for a service.
I think the check is once every 5 years -- and it's free.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

And also remember that it only covers factory defects, not wear and tear. If it doesn't break in the first year or two or three, by definition it's not a defect. It's wear and tear. So yeah, Chrysler made a pretty safe bet here.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Cool

Originally Posted by FlightTester
I don't see the european status builders adjusting their warranties -- their buyers don't care about keeping a car for more than the shortest lease cycle. I think Jeep is safe with their new unique lifetime warranty program -- it's a ballsy "outside the box" move that the bean counters of other manufacturers just won't approve. Says a lot about their leadership and confidence in their product.
Seems more like an act of desperation to me, just like the cost cutting at every corner that we see in these vehicles. And every company likes to be able to market their vehicles as the ones with the best warranties.

I just think that the odds are good that they won't be alone for long.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:51 PM
JK Newbie

If anyone wants to know the real skinny on the waranty just google it and look for the pdf file.
Old 12-05-2007, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jwetzel
And also remember that it only covers factory defects, not wear and tear. If it doesn't break in the first year or two or three, by definition it's not a defect. It's wear and tear. So yeah, Chrysler made a pretty safe bet here.
This begs the question, how long should the powertrain last based on "normal wear and tear"? They don't say explicitly. And the definition of "defect" is legally wide open! If I remember my materials engineering classes properly (a BIG "if" ), there are no "defect free" materials in our powertrains. Tiny voids in the materials and surface imperfections can take a good long time to manifest themselves (years!), but the result is the same: mechanical failure and ergo a covered repair.

BTW, in my manual, they have places for 30 years of dealer check ups to keep the warranty valid! To me, this implies that my Jeep should last at least 30 years under normal wear and tear. Not bad.

The simple bet here is that you'll sell your Jeep to the second (non-covered) owner before the powertrain fails. I'll be one of those who will keep my Jeep forever! Getting free powertrain components years from now will be sweet!

I'm the guy they're betting against....

Quick Reply: Lifetime Powertrain Warrenty