Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Lifetime Warranty

Old 06-03-2013, 08:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifetime Warranty

Was anyone else offered the unlimited miles & time warranty? Did anyone purchase it? I'd like thoughts & opinions. I purchased it with my Moab for like $2700?, but did a 20% down and payment plan with no interest for a year...don't really remember the details.

Apparently, I'd I decide I don't want it I can stop paying & receive some refund. I bought it because I intend to keep the jeep forever (as a family hand me down), but now I'm thinking about dropping the lifetime warranty.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:02 AM
JK Newbie

Remember that these are often over rated and if you do decide to buy I, the price are negotiable. Dealers make tons of money off of these as 98% of people will trade their car off and never use it. Also read the fine print as off roading may void the warranty. Finally, research the name of the protection plan on the web.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:04 AM
JK Newbie

Good luck getting the $$$$ back from the company.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:14 AM
JK Newbie

Yea. I got the price dropped a good bit. That's the reason why I'm probably going to drop the plan...refund or not. I want to do some offroading & I want to mod it out & don't want to worry about voiding the extra warranty.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by GeckoNoob
Was anyone else offered the unlimited miles & time warranty? Did anyone purchase it? I'd like thoughts & opinions. I purchased it with my Moab for like $2700?, but did a 20% down and payment plan with no interest for a year...don't really remember the details.

Apparently, I'd I decide I don't want it I can stop paying & receive some refund. I bought it because I intend to keep the jeep forever (as a family hand me down), but now I'm thinking about dropping the lifetime warranty.
Lifetime is only for you. Can't be handed down if you change the ownership. I bought the lifetime with my 2012. I almost always refuse warranties but felt I didn't want the risk in this case. I keep my vehicles very long.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:11 PM
JK Junkie

Also, the warranty is void once the repair cost exceeds the vehicles market value.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Lifetime is only for you. Can't be handed down if you change the ownership. I bought the lifetime with my 2012. I almost always refuse warranties but felt I didn't want the risk in this case. I keep my vehicles very long.
Check the wording of your 'lifetime' warranty and state laws as well. Some states allow lifetime warranties to apply to the expected lifetime of the vehicle, which can be as short as 7 years, not the owner's lifetime.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:20 PM
JK Junkie

Key questions to ask:

How long will I keep the vehicle after standard warranty expires?
What is the likelihood of there being a a warrantied item needing repair after the standard warranty expires.
What is the likelihood of all repairs needed while I own the vehicle after the standard warranty is expired will total more than the cost I need to pay to purchase the extended warranty.
Same questions should be asked about any warranties pushed down your throat such as tv's and appliances.

If you only have a history of keeping your vehicles for 3-4 years, then buying an extended warranty on a new vehicle doesn't make sense. I plan to keep my JKU for 8-10 yrs as my primary vehicle, and then maybe even longer as a backup toy. For those reasons I broke my typical rule and decided to buy the warranty.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:28 PM
JK Super Freak

So why can you transfer an extended warranty?
Old 06-03-2013, 06:34 PM
JK Newbie

Key questions to ask:

How long will I keep the vehicle after standard warranty expires?
What is the likelihood of there being a a warrantied item needing repair after the standard warranty expires.
What is the likelihood of all repairs needed while I own the vehicle after the standard warranty is expired will total more than the cost I need to pay to purchase the extended warranty.
Same questions should be asked about any warranties pushed down your throat such as tv's and appliances.

If you only have a history of keeping your vehicles for 3-4 years, then buying an extended warranty on a new vehicle doesn't make sense. I plan to keep my JKU for 8-10 yrs as my primary vehicle, and then maybe even longer as a backup toy. For those reasons I broke my typical rule and decided to buy the warranty.
I want the warranty since I plan on keeping the jeep for a long time. It's just that I wamt to mod it & don't want any mods to void the warranty...then it would def been a waste of money.

Quick Reply: Lifetime Warranty