Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Lifetime Warranty, how difficult will it be to get it honored?

Old 11-20-2007, 07:44 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifetime Warranty, how difficult will it be to get it honored?

After having visited a few dealers trying to work out a deal on a JK, and hearing the salespeople give their big pitches on how great this new lifetime powertrain warranty.

My initial thought is that it is a nice security blanket to have. Then it got me thinking… in a few years, how difficult will Chrysler make it to get the warranty honored? I bet everyone here has either seen or heard the horror stories about people with long warranties that a manufacturer would not honor due allegations of neglected maintenance.

Now I can understand them wanting to see proof of oil changes and such, but are they going to go through the receipts and make sure you didn’t go over the mileage interval or the time limit (3 mo or 3000 miles for example)? I am sure they do not intend to do many engine repairs or replacements in ten years when people start walking in the door with Jeeps carrying six figures in mileage. To get out of it, they will need to find a loophole somewhere.

I was just curious as to what everyone’s thoughts were on it? Will Chrysler get stingy with claims on this warranty by nit-picking maintenance? Or do you think they will honor it as long as people have done the recommended maintenance within a reasonable timeframe of the recommended intervals?
Old 11-20-2007, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default I agree

I agree completely... My thoughts is that i'm going to make a binder/folder thing and document every receipt, dealer visit, phone call, oil change, windshield wiper change, and try to keep an active good relationship with my local dealer and then do the whole bribe thing by tipping and slipping a few twentys across counter when good things get done .... kinda like giving a dog a treat when they are good, dogs remember that and continue to do good things. also ...if you havent bought yet, I have a great place here in N.E. Ohio that has giving me a price that no one has matched so far... and i been to a few dealers, if you'd like their info send me a message, good luck.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:54 AM
JK Junkie

I don't have the lifetime warranty, but here's how these things usually work:

1) "Maintainence" costs: Do you think they're really giving something for nothing? Of course you don't, and they're not. Most lifetime warranties stipulate that you must bring your vehicle in for inspection/service at set intervals, and those service inspections add up, both in time and $$$ (if the dealership is allowed to charge for the inspection). Accordingly, many owners will stop following the rules, and forfeit the balance of their warranty to avoid the hassle.

2) Fine print: If you modify your vehicle in any way, you may be giving up your rights under the warranty. Yes, the Moss-Magnuson (sp?) act still requires that the manufacturer prove your modification is at fault, but that only applies to your regular warranty... I believe that there's language in the lifetime warranty to stipulate that if you knowingly modify the vehicle, you're effectively (legally) forfeiting your warranty coverage.

3) Deductibles: If they're allowed to charge you $500 per repair (are they?), then you're actually eating a lot of their cost for them. If they have to replace your entire transmission or rebuild your engine, obviously you're going to benefit. But when a $532 part needs replacing, that "warranty" is only going to cover $32!

Honestly, this is all speculation on my part. However, I do remember having a lifetime powertrain warranty on my Durango, and there was legalese in that contract protecting Chrysler in just about any scenario.

All of the above notwithstanding, I'd still like to have that lifetime warranty, if only because there'd be the possibility of coverage on a defective item, despite my present and future modifications.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:01 AM
JK Newbie

I’ll have to check the legalize on my last extended warranty. My 02 came with a 7 yr 100K powertrain from Chrysler. I think it had a deductible, but it was a rather nominal amount, like $50 per visit or something. If your engine blew up it was low enough that you wouldn’t have minded.

I never needed it in 5 years, which pleased me.

I do understand they do protect themselves so they won’t have many of these cars coming back. I know my prior 7/100 was non transferable, and I do not think the lifetime is either. It did not require dealer service or inspections. So you have to be the original owner. Just that you follow all recommended maintenance at the prescribed intervals.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:04 AM
JK Freak

i don't trust the lasting power of this either. but i just read that they're not charging for the mandatory 5-year inspections (must be through an approved dealership). though if you miss one of those by more than 60 days, the whole thing is voided! plus, i expect that they will be fairly discriminant with regard to modifications and "abuse".
Old 11-20-2007, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Chrysler Q/A

Well this is from Chrysler's Website on their Q/A Section:

NEW CHRYSLER LIFETIME POWERTRAIN WARRANTY CUSTOMERS -- Q&A

Q1: How do I know if I’m covered by the new Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty?
A1: You’re covered if you’re the first registered vehicle owner (purchased on or after July 26, 2007) – retail or lease – in U.S., Puerto Rico and The Virgin Islands.

Q2: What does the new powertrain limited warranty include?
A2: The Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair covered powertrain components – engine, transmission and drive system – on most new Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge 2006 MY, 2007 MY and 2008 MY vehicles.

Q3: What powertrain parts and components are covered?
A3: Gasoline engine, transmission and drive systems (FWD, AWD, RWD or 4WD).

Q4: Are there specific provisions to the new warranty?
A4. In order to maintain the Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty, you must have a powertrain inspection performed by an authorized Chrysler, Jeep or Dodge dealer once every 5 years. This inspection, performed at no charge, must be made within 60 days of each 5-year anniversary of the warranty start date of the vehicle. It is your responsibility to perform preventative maintenance on your vehicle. You’re strongly encouraged to follow the instructions contained in the Scheduled Maintenance Service guidelines in your Owner’s Manual.

Q5: When does the new warranty coverage take effect?
A5: The Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty begins at the end of the 3-year/36,000-mile Basic Limited Warranty.

Q6: Why is Chrysler changing its warranty coverage?
A6: Our confidence level in our vehicles is very high. Our dealers are telling us that our products are the best quality they've seen in a very, very long time – maybe ever. So, we'd like to take this level of confidence and share it with you, our customers. This new powertrain warranty demonstrates our commitment to you as a Chrysler, Jeep or Dodge customer and the confidence we have in our ability to produce quality, reliable and durable vehicles. We want you to feel that same confidence.

Q7: Are any Chrysler vehicles excluded?
A7: Our new Lifetime Powertrain Warranty covers over 88% of our vehicles sold at retail in the U.S. Vehicles that not covered include those used as/for/by police, taxis, limousines, postal delivery, ambulances, rental or government – these will continue to be covered by the 3-year/36,000-mile Basic Limited Warranty. Also excluded are SRT models and Dodge Sprinters which are covered by our 3-year/36,000-mile Basic Limited Warranty; and our diesel-engine vehicles (Dodge Ram Cab/Chassis and Dodge Sprinter) which are covered by a 5-year/100,000-mile engine warranty – our diesel-equipped Jeep vehicles have a 3-year/36,000-mile engine warranty.

Q8: What about second owners of the vehicle?
A8: Subsequent owners or lessees, even if they are within the same family or business, are not covered. Successor business entities or persons to whom the vehicle is transferred by operation of law are also not covered. Chrysler offers extended service contracts for purchase for second owners of Chrysler, Jeep and Dodge vehicles.

Q9: Why did you choose to make this program non-transferable?
A9: Our internal research data confirmed that the transferability take rate (available on the 7-year/70,000-mile warranty program) was low. We are providing peace-of-mind to the original owner who made the investment in our Chrysler product. Our competitors, Hyundai/KIA/Mitsubishi that offer what was considered the benchmark in long-term powertrain warranty (10 years/100,000 miles), only extend it to the original owner. With the announcement of the Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty, Chrysler will be the new benchmark in long-term powertrain warranty.

Q10: How does your new lifetime powertrain warranty coverage compare to your competitors?
A10: We are the first and only OEM to offer a lifetime powertrain warranty.

Q11: What is different from your 7-year/70,000-mile powertrain warranty to the new Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty?
A11: The 7/70 warranty included a deductible per repair visit, and coverage was transferable for a fee of $150. The new lifetime warranty has no deductible and is not transferable.

Q12: If I purchased my vehicle on July 24 or 25, am I still eligible for the new lifetime limited warranty?
A12: No. However, Chrysler Service Contracts offers a Lifetime Powertrain service contract that is similar to the Company’s new powertrain warranty program. For 60 days, this plan will be offered at a great value to you if you own a 2006 MY and 2007 MY Chrysler, Jeep or Dodge vehicle with the 3/36 basic limited warranty coverage.

Q13: How long will this new Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty be offered on Chrysler vehicles?
A13: At this time, we plan to continue this warranty program through the 2008 MY.

Q14: How can I learn more about Chrysler’s new Lifetime Powertrain Warranty?
A14: Initially, warranty details will be provided as a supplement to the current vehicle Warranty Information Books. Revised warranty books for future vehicles are currently under development. Customers may also visit Chrysler.com, Dodge.com and Jeep.com for more information.

Q15: Is towing included in the new Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty program?
A15: No. Our research indicates that most consumers have independent towing service plans such as AAA.

Q16. Are Mexico, Canada and International markets offering the new Lifetime Powertrain Warranty?
A16: No. This is a U.S. program only.

Q17: Is this just a marketing promotion to drive traffic to your dealerships?
A17: No. This demonstrates our commitment to improved quality on all our vehicles. This isn't a rebate or financing incentive. We stand behind our products with capital investment in facilities and technology. Our warranty
programs exemplify our investment in powertrain. It's a move of strength.

Q18: What does 'lifetime' mean?
A18: Lifetime is lifetime.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

to me... the lifetime warranty is crap with all reasons most people list on this forum. extra cash for this "insurance" is no good. besides, most people don't keep their rides longer than 4-5 years these days.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by hiontach
to me... the lifetime warranty is crap with all reasons most people list on this forum. extra cash for this "insurance" is no good. besides, most people don't keep their rides longer than 4-5 years these days.

Most rides aren't Jeep Wranglers. ;D
Old 01-02-2008, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
I don't have the lifetime warranty, but here's how these things usually work:

1) "Maintainence" costs: Do you think they're really giving something for nothing? Of course you don't, and they're not. Most lifetime warranties stipulate that you must bring your vehicle in for inspection/service at set intervals, and those service inspections add up, both in time and $$$ (if the dealership is allowed to charge for the inspection). Accordingly, many owners will stop following the rules, and forfeit the balance of their warranty to avoid the hassle.

2) Fine print: If you modify your vehicle in any way, you may be giving up your rights under the warranty. Yes, the Moss-Magnuson (sp?) act still requires that the manufacturer prove your modification is at fault, but that only applies to your regular warranty... I believe that there's language in the lifetime warranty to stipulate that if you knowingly modify the vehicle, you're effectively (legally) forfeiting your warranty coverage.

3) Deductibles: If they're allowed to charge you $500 per repair (are they?), then you're actually eating a lot of their cost for them. If they have to replace your entire transmission or rebuild your engine, obviously you're going to benefit. But when a $532 part needs replacing, that "warranty" is only going to cover $32!

Honestly, this is all speculation on my part. However, I do remember having a lifetime powertrain warranty on my Durango, and there was legalese in that contract protecting Chrysler in just about any scenario.

All of the above notwithstanding, I'd still like to have that lifetime warranty, if only because there'd be the possibility of coverage on a defective item, despite my present and future modifications.
Perhaps you'd be a bit less skeptical if you actually HAD it? $500 deductible? Get serious!! There is NO deductible.

All they require is an inspection every 5 years, and it's free!

It doesn't cover abuse, or neglect. That, will play hell with the rock crawlers and mudpuppies, but why should they pay to fix something you willingly trash?

If you wanna' go with a huge lift, and equally huge tires, you've pretty much screwed yourself. Common sense will prevail.

EDIT: With all the above said, I will admit one thing: I think there will be many more electrical/computer probs, than mechanical. Hopefully any electrical gremlins will be exorcised within the 36 month bumper to bumper.

Last edited by dmerc; 01-02-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:22 AM
JK Super Freak

i just bought the max care lifetime on the whole jeep for $1600, so I don't think they will be able to walk away from me in the future.

don

Quick Reply: Lifetime Warranty, how difficult will it be to get it honored?