Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Lift?

Old 04-22-2016, 06:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift?

I'm new to the forums and JKU owner.
I have a 15 JKU sport that I want to build up.
I was thinking with going with AEV 2 1/2 lift with brackets & 33 tires 17 rims - (33X12.5R17).
Question is that lift ok with the tire size? & what brand tire/wheel combo should I go with? My JKU is red and black so looking for black rims. I did like Grabber tire look with red side wall lettering.

Thanks
Panthro
Old 04-22-2016, 06:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Panthro1810
I was thinking with going with AEV 2 1/2 lift with brackets & 33 tires 17 rims - (33X12.5R17).
Question is that lift ok with the tire size? & what brand tire/wheel combo should I go with? My JKU is red and black so looking for black rims. I did like Grabber tire look with red side wall lettering.

Thanks
Panthro
You could always keep your wheels and paint or plastdip them. Get some Spider adapters. It's your rig just throwing that out there. Maybe look at a leveling kit as well. Same you some scratch. The lift would be more than enough for that.
Old 04-22-2016, 11:10 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Panthro1810

Thanks
Panthro
Welcome to JKF. Panthro! As an FYI, the forum is divided into various sub-forums. A question like this actually belongs in the Modified JK Tech sub-forum. But, the best answer to your question is to read a little bit. There is a sitcky at the top of that sub-forum that addresses your question about lift and tires.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-lifts-288269/

Suggest you study that. As for your specific question, plenty of people running that lift with 33" tires--you'll just want to ensure you select wheels with an appropriate backspacing.

As for brand of tires and wheels: That's going to be very personal, and should be selected depending on exactly what kind of build you want. Are you a rock crawler? Overland/expedition traveler? Worried about the wife and kiddies safely arriving at school on a snowy day? Etc. If you want to see what certain wheel/tire combo's look like, you can ask that specific question and likely someone will respond with pictures. The JK Show & Tell sub-forum is the right place for those types of questions. Heck, probably it's been asked before, though using the search tool can sometimes prove frustrating.

Anyway, welcome aboard again and let me point out that your Jeep was delivered from the factory fully capable of a lot of amazing adventures. Don't get so enamored with modding that you can't afford to actually use what you build!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spCoIY1wdaA
Old 04-23-2016, 01:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

How true mark, There are very very few that need 37's and 6" of lift in their jeep. Most people just need stock, but want their jeeps to look good too. that's where the teraflex 2"leveling kit comes in handy. a little boost with enough room to fit 33s' nicely. if more weight carrying is needed, add a set of airbags. I have been running this setup for awhile now and its awesome.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i did the same setup. aev 2.50 inch lift with rancho drop brackets but i went with 35 x 12.50 r 17's
I like the set up a lot. ride is a bit stiffer but handles better and less wander down the road.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shabbernigdo
i did the same setup. aev 2.50 inch lift with rancho drop brackets but i went with 35 x 12.50 r 17's I like the set up a lot. ride is a bit stiffer but handles better and less wander down the road.
Thanks guys & mark point taken.. So I shouldn't have a problem with the 33X12.5?
Old 04-23-2016, 08:47 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

Unless you are replacing worn out tires going to 33" is a waste of time and money. The gain from the stock 32" tires is very very little. The lift won't do much for you either. Are you looking at doing a build for looks? Or are you trying to increase off road performance?

Check out some to the photo threads of jeeps with no lift, 35's, and flat fenders. Much better looking and better on road and off road perforce then 33's with 2.5" of lift.
Old 04-23-2016, 11:33 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Unless you are replacing worn out tires going to 33" is a waste of time and money. The gain from the stock 32" tires is very very little. The lift won't do much for you either. Are you looking at doing a build for looks? Or are you trying to increase off road performance?

Check out some to the photo threads of jeeps with no lift, 35's, and flat fenders. Much better looking and better on road and off road perforce then 33's with 2.5" of lift.
The gain from stock "32's" is bigger than you think, and 35s performing better on road? NOPE. maybe if your only running the king of hammers it would be better.

I have a picture of stock tires on stock rims on the rear of my rig and my 33's on the front. there is a significant difference in size and off road clearance. NOT everyone needs a full blown 18" coilover with 40s on it. even though I do like the nice bright green, I will leave the rest of the build where it is, I'm not into that!
Old 04-23-2016, 11:46 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

There are a couple of reasons 35's and flat fenders with no lift will handle better on road.
35" tire will roll in a flatter arc offering a bigger contact patch then a 33" tire, adding more traction, and less rolling resistance over a 33" tire.
No lift does not alter the geometry, steering and axle shift stay the same as stock.
No lift and 35" tires has a lower center of gravity and will handle better in high speed cornering vs 33's and 2" of lift.
Big tires look cool on a jeep on road.

Off road with no lift and 35" tires give you about 2" of addition total ground clearance vs about 1/2" with 33" tires.
When running a 35" tire you don't have to air down as much as a 33" tire tire to get the same about of contact patch.
35" tires will climb over rocks easier due to the flatter rolling arc.
Center of gravity stays lower with no lift and 35's to make more stable in off camber situations.
Bigger heavier tires help keep the jeep more stable in off camber situations.
Big tires look cool on a jeep off road.

The cons to running bigger tires are they cost more and gearing may be an issue.

Last edited by TheDirtman; 04-23-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:51 PM
JK Junkie

have to say, you are wrong, there is more rolling resistance in the bigger contact patch, plus the heavier weight of the 35 will be 2 big negatives on the road, off road yes in some places a wider contact patch is better. ROCK KRAWLIN. but in mud etc, the narrower contact patch is better. Proven many times.

The weight again will negate any positives the bigger tire might have on handling even over the 2" of lift. Actually, Mine handles better than stock around corners on and off road than a stock jeep. Been tried back to back with my uncles stock JKU and mine with the suspension modifications I have done. Both run 33s. Mine has monotube shocks, 2" of lift, lower control arms and different wheels.

Quick Reply: Lift?