Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

LIFT or BUMPERS

Old 08-25-2013, 05:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LIFT or BUMPERS

I'm trying to decided what to get next and I can't make up my mind. I'm looking for opinions. What should I get front and rear bumpers, or a lift? It's my DD, so it's 99% on the road.
Old 08-25-2013, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bumpers, don't modify your suspension if your not going to use it.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GIJK
Bumpers, don't modify your suspension if your not going to use it.
At the same time, I wouldn't spend hundreds on bumpers if you're not going to use it

What is your budget and tire size plans in the future?

Last edited by kh202; 08-25-2013 at 06:06 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:06 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by kh202
At the same time, I say don't spend spend hundreds on bumpers if you're not going to use it

What is your budget and tire size plans in the future?
I've ordered 285/70/17 Dyratracs, they should arrive in a week or so.

My budget is $1000.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:10 AM
JK Junkie

I'd cut the fenders and wheel it, but that's you're call. Don't really have to lift it with those.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:16 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by kh202
I'd cut the fenders and wheel it, but that's you're call. Don't really have to lift it with those.
You don't think it'll be too low with aftermarket bumpers? I hate the look of stock bumpers!
Old 08-25-2013, 06:27 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm with the other guys. Don't drastically modify the suspension if your going to Drive you Jeep as a DD. I would spend $110 on a RC 1.25" and then get Bumpers. Even though you wont be driving off road the bumpers will protect your Jeep from Front and Rear end accidents. It will also give your Jeep a Custom look and you will be able to recognize it in a parking lot among other Jeeps in the parking lots you visit.

A small body lift will give you the clearance you need to run the tires and you can upgrade the suspension on top of the body lift at a later date if you decide to modify it anyways.

The body lift you can do in a day with basic tools and a high lift jack to raise the body to put the body lift pucks in.

Suspension will take longer to do yourself and more tools. It will also change your steering geometry if not done right.

Overall 1K is not a lot money to modify a Jeep. Unfortunately our money does not stretch as far as it used to. Good luck on your mods whatever route you decide.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:29 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ur not wheeling much....I'd buy a cheap daystar spacer kit for around $200 and e-auto grills front and rear bumper combo off ebay for like$600-$700
Old 08-25-2013, 06:31 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
I'm with the other guys. Don't drastically modify the suspension if your going to Drive you Jeep as a DD. I would spend $110 on a RC 1.25" and then get Bumpers. Even though you wont be driving off road the bumpers will protect your Jeep from Front and Rear end accidents. It will also give your Jeep a Custom look and you will be able to recognize it in a parking lot among other Jeeps in the parking lots you visit.

A small body lift will give you the clearance you need to run the tires and you can upgrade the suspension on top of the body lift at a later date if you decide to modify it anyways.

The body lift you can do in a day with basic tools and a high lift jack to raise the body to put the body lift pucks in.

Suspension will take longer to do yourself and more tools. It will also change your steering geometry if not done right.

Overall 1K is not a lot money to modify a Jeep. Unfortunately our money does not stretch as far as it used to. Good luck on your mods whatever route you decide.
Thank you very much for your advice. Greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Yuriy; 08-25-2013 at 06:37 AM.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:42 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK

Oh no doubt they add a great look. Agree. Was just my 2 cents. I haven't gotten around to fitting bumpers in the budget, so just cut my stock ones in the mean time
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2100616520.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	491595  

Quick Reply: LIFT or BUMPERS