Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

lift kits and suspension

Old 11-25-2012, 06:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lift kits and suspension

So I am looking at lifting my jeep around 3.5", I would be driving on road and off but I want it to drive well/handle well. What is your lift kit and what have you heard is the best lift kit?
Old 11-25-2012, 07:06 AM
JK Newbie

I would also be interested to hear about this.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

There is really no best kit. It depends on what your going to do with it. Some good companies to look at.. aev, rock krawler, Teraflex. With three inches you should get in a kit.. coils,shocks,brake lines, lower adj front arms, rear adj arms, sway bar links, adj trackbar. What year and model jeep do you have. I can help a little more if you give info
Old 11-25-2012, 07:58 AM
JK Newbie

I have a 2012 sahara and I would be looking at not going crazy off road but I want the capabilities if I decide to.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:03 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonka_yellow
There is really no best kit. It depends on what your going to do with it. Some good companies to look at.. aev, rock krawler, Teraflex. With three inches you should get in a kit.. coils,shocks,brake lines, lower adj front arms, rear adj arms, sway bar links, adj trackbar. What year and model jeep do you have. I can help a little more if you give info
I completely agree, but I would add Skyjacker and Superlift to that list..... Two companies that have been around for a long time.... I got a skyjacker lift in my jk and love the ride (I am adding evo long arms tho) and I had a skyjacker lift in my ram.... They make quality products I will swear by skyjacker lifts and they love jeeps!

But as Tonka said there is no BEST kit.... Everyone has their own opinion.... Other ppl may feel skyjacker sucks where as I love em...Do ur research on the kits u think u need and determine what IS the one u need.... For example if ur doing a lot of rock climbing then u definitely want a long arm lift... If ur just doing mud then u can go with a basic kit...... Good luck! Plenty of ppl on here will help!

HAPPY JEEPIN EVERYONE!
Old 11-25-2012, 08:39 AM
JK Newbie

So just to make sure i am on the right track I am looking at these lift kits
| TeraFlex Suspensions
Item #JK2501KCR-N / Skyjacker Suspensions
JK DualSport SC Suspension 3.5"/4.5" - Suspension - Shop By Category
and also off road evolution stuff

There are some amazing reviews on the aev lift,
Feel free to post some more lift kits for ideas

Thanks,
Old 11-25-2012, 08:49 AM
JK Freak

Don't forget about front drive shaft. As mentioned there are some good companies but it depends on your budget and what you plan on doing with it. Do a lot of research, everyone has an opinion so just take it all in and make your own decision. Good luck.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Just putting it out there. I have Trailmaster's 4.5" kit that came ith all 8 adjustable control arms, shocks, drive shafts- front and rear, adjustable front tracbar, extended stainless steel brakelines, etc.. It was complete and after putting over 40K miles on mine I can say it has performed perfectly. i bought it from Northridge 4x4 about 2 years ago for approximately 2700.00 which i didn't feel it was a bad price considering it had everything. I recently swapped out my SSV shocks that came with the kit for a set of Bilsteins. It was a great improvement. I'm running 37s on my JK and it is a daily driver. Have no clearance issues and didn't have to trim my pinch seam or rubi rails to fit my tires at full stuff. At full stuff my tires just skim the inside of my fenders but not at all bad enough to tear them off or cause any damage.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:34 AM
JK Newbie

ok so just to get all my info out there I will be running 35" tires on rocky terrain. I don't have a budget as long as it is not crazy, I want a 3.5" lift. If I am bone stock right now what do I need to get it ready for going off road? not including tires, bumpers, winches, and all that. I just mean the performance? (lift kit, gears, driveshafts, etc.)
Old 11-25-2012, 09:44 AM
JK Freak

Probably should consider gears if you are going to run 35s. Already mentioned new DS 1310 size. From what I've read it's not required but it will fail soon enough. I'd rather change it out before losing it on the trail somewhere. Think about armor for your under carriage as well. At least an oil pan skid. AEV pro cal to "fix" the computer for tire size and gears.

3.5" lift certainly need adjustable control arms. At least lower front and I think upper rears.

Quick Reply: lift kits and suspension