Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Limits of traction control

Old 11-01-2007, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limits of traction control

So I've had my JK since March, but it's only the last month or so that we've had any real rain to deal with. So I'm wondering about how quickly traction control and ES should kick in on slick, rainy pavement. It seems like mine will let me spin the tires a bit, or slide my tail out just slightly. Is this normal? Or does yours prevent tirespin completely?
Old 11-01-2007, 07:53 AM
JK Newbie

My back tires spin on wet pavement when I start from a full stop and I'm on a slight incline. My YJ did the same thing. I'm not accelerating very fast either.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

From my experience that is completely normal. Although I have never had ESP come on while on anything less than very loose gravel or ice/snow, but there is a slight delay. I drove to work monday morning with the highway covered in a sheet of ice, as soon as I left the gravel of my driveway the back end kicked out but ESP and I recovered. Without it I could have done a 180. The whole rest of the way I could feel slight wheelspin and even a tendancy to go up hills on an angle, but complete traction was not lost and ESP didn't come on again.

I think I need winter tires though.

Quick Reply: Limits of traction control