Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Locking lug nuts?

Old 11-20-2007, 04:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locking lug nuts?

Is one brand better than another? If so, what is the best? I want to put some locking lug nuts on the spare wheel so it might deter someone from trying to steal it. It just looks like it would be too easy to steal.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

The Mopar locks come with a 5th lock for the spare, alittle pricey at $40-$50 a the dealership.

But they are McGuard brand repackaged as Mopar, the same that you can get a Pepboys etc. except the McGaurd at Pepboys only come with 4 locks.

Any lock is penetrable, so just use them as a deterrant or to slow the theif down long enough for you to get your 12 gauge or your baseball bat.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

The Mopar ones seemed thin to me. I went to rotate the tires and found that the torque needed to get one of the nuts off was sufficient to bend the pattern in the key wrench. Not good if that was the first time I've taken them off. I'm willing to bet they don't last very much longer.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Gorilla locking lugs from 4wd. come in set of 5 and very sturdy from what ive seen while using them and the key
Old 11-20-2007, 09:27 AM
JK Newbie

my tire shop got me a set of 5 and it cost me $25- very decent.
They also said you don't give these full torque.

Quick Reply: Locking lug nuts?