Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Looking to buy a Jeep

Old 08-10-2013, 08:08 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a Jeep

Hi everyone.

So I am looking to get out of my current vehicle (Mustang convertible) and into a wrangler. Looking for a little advice from those more experienced than I am on the subject. I have done my fair share of research and have test driven a few models.

As far as the options, I want an auto, a/c (some of the dealers actually laughed at this because they didnt know you can order without), and 3.73 gears. I dont want power anything.

Today I drove several models just to get a feel for them. I like the 2 door much more than an unlimited, and the extras on the sahara are a little excessive. Loved the Rubicon but can't justify the price difference for a few features I dont think I would use. The sport with 3.21 gears and the 29" tires was decent, however the 3.73 gear/ 32" tire combo i liked much better. Also I preferred the soft top to the hard top.

I plan to use the vehicle as a daily driver in and around town with highway use maybe once a month. From the research I've done a small spring lift or leveling kit and 33" tires should be plenty for me. I also drove a 2003 rubicon with a 6" lift and 35" tires that had way too much body roll and sat a tad too high for me.

I've found a few locally that I like, and have the correct options. Basically a stripped down sport with auto, a/c, 3.73 gears. I figure I will be replacing the wheels/tires so why pay for the larger ones stock, right?

As far as what the price listed on these, they range from one at $21,980 to some at $22,780. This falls into my price range and I feel is a decent value. I'd like to get them at $20,000 even or so.

What are your thoughts on the pricing for these options, and do you think there is anything I'm missing out on or anything else I should consider?

Thanks for reading and offering your input!

Spencer
Old 08-11-2013, 12:40 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by spencemanrowe
... I want ... 3.73 gears. ... From the research I've done a small spring lift or leveling kit and 33" tires should be plenty for me. ...
If this is just a daily driver and you're not planning to off-road it, an inexpensive spacer lift should do you just fine. The coil lift is nice if you plan to off-road and need the additional articulation. As for the gears: You will probably regret not getting 4.10s.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:28 AM
JK Junkie

With the type of driving you said you would be doing, the 373's should be fine. If you were ever going to 37's, I would definitely get the 410's. Just my
Old 08-11-2013, 07:40 AM
JK Newbie

Yea as a daily driver I don't need the huge tires an 33's will be the biggest I will ever go most likely. Off road use will be more for camping and other recreation.

Also after driving the TJ with 35s I doubt I'll ever want the tires to be that large anyways.

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming!
Old 08-11-2013, 07:42 AM
JK Newbie

I have a Sport Unlimited with 3.73's and 35's. The 3.6 still has plenty of power. As for which model to choose from, the Rubi is obviously the baddest. The Sahara is nice, but people who modify a Jeep usually replace everything that comes in the Sahara package anyhow. I didn't care for leather seats, painted fenders or 18" wheels.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:53 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You came to the wrong place brother. Now you are a victim of the I'll ness prepaid to be poor for the rest of your life lol I'm just kidding welcome! For 35's all you need is a 2.5 inch lift. You really don't want a 6 inch especially on a 2 door
Old 08-11-2013, 07:54 AM
JK Jedi

My bad miss read it lol. Yeah you can fit 33's at stock height
Old 08-11-2013, 07:54 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jeek.OlllllllO
You came to the wrong place brother. Now you are a victim of the I'll ness prepaid to be poor for the rest of your life lol I'm just kidding welcome! For 35's all you need is a 2.5 inch lift. You really don't want a 6 inch especially on a 2 door
You can run 35s with a 2" level
Old 08-11-2013, 07:57 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by amick218

You can run 35s with a 2" level
And cut fenders. And proper back spacing.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:05 AM
JK Freak

Being that the 14s are coming out custom order what you want, ask for D44 up front 4.10 gears, soft top, no power, etc. with anything you do youll want the better front axle and the lower gears when going to 33 or 35. And dont look at tj models there totally different. If you want it to be low a leveling kit with 33s, or a 2.5 on 35s will work just fine. Hope this helps!

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a Jeep