Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Looking to buy a new jeep or toyota

Old 03-17-2013, 05:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a new jeep or toyota

Hello I am looking to buy a new JKUR or a Toyota tacoma. I am leaning towards the jeep but I am not sure. I am looking to start a family and not sure if I am going to be able to go out as much as I would like once we have the little one. However once they get a little older I will be able to take the family out. I know the majority are going to say go with the JK and I do agree but I do want to see if anyone else has any input on it. Thanks.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:35 PM
JK Junkie

The Tacoma is a great vehicle. The interior will be very nice. I owned a 4 door tundra before owning my jeep. I traded it in for a 2dr rubicon. I am like you, I have an infant and a wife. I really should have got a four door jeep, but there has never been a day I have regretted my purchase. I love the freedom of the ability to drive with the doors off or the top off or both. I also love the jeep community and the friendship it brings. Finally, when there has been a tuff week of work and family. There is nothing better than taking the jeep for a spin and enjoying it all by yourself and waving at some fellow jeepers. If you don't understand this or this doesn't appeal to you than go get the Tacoma.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The taco will give you bed space if you need it however the back seat can get cramped. The JKU is comfortable enough for me to ride in the back and I'm 5.10 300lbs. I have 3 kids ages from 5-18 and they are more comfortable in the JKU than my wife's 13 Altima. As far as ride the truck and jk will be about the same and the jk might even be smoother. However you'll get about 1500 mor towing lbs out of the taco.
What will you be happy driving daily as passengers will not always be with you.

And remember you can't take the top off a truck.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:34 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the reassurance for the jeep. I totally agree with the removable top!! Still would like others to chime in.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:26 AM
JK Newbie

We went back and forth bw a Jeep and a pick up. Actually went to the dealership set on a ram and came home with the jeep For us you can't beat the fun factor of the jeep. As soon as we test drove it, we knew we didn't want the pick up anymore.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

It depends on whether reliability is important to you and whether you'll need to haul something in the bed; if either matters to you get the Tacoma.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by navin r
It depends on whether reliability is important to you and whether you'll need to haul something in the bed; if either matters to you get the Tacoma.
I was thinking the same thing, but then I decided to just go with the Jeep and I bought a small flat-bed trailer for the few occasions that I need to actually haul anything. I went with a heavy duty trailer because I had a cross-country trip coming up, but you could buy one of those 4'x8' folding trailers from Harbor Freight for less than $300 on sale just for local hauls.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:29 AM
JK Newbie

Coming from someone whos owned both I say Jeep all the way. I used to own a 97 Tacoma ext. cab 4x4, dont get me wrong the damn thing was bullet proof and got me everywhere I wanted to go and then some but there just something about the Jeep that keeps it in its own league. Theres no bigger aftermarket available than a jeep's, the jeep community is amazing, and fun factor all trump the tacos. I miss my taco, and I'm a hard core chevy guy but there is nothing that I would trade my jeep for, and I know that I will always have a jeep in my garage from now on no matter what. I have a 15 month old whos growing up in the jeep and loves rides with the tops off, an unlimited is just fine for raising a family so no worries there either.

Last edited by RGV08JK; 03-18-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since this is a big decision , and long-term, perhaps renting the Tacoma for a full day or two would give a better sense of how it will serve your needs. " Enterprise" rents just about everything, worth a try. No matter how " practical" the truck, nothing can beat the versatility and fun factor of the JK. They are apples and oranges. 2012 and up JKs are greatly improved , Jeeps will put a smile on your face , can be modded mild or wild .If its just transport , the Toyota.If its a viseral , heart beat goes up a notch, the Jeep. My several cents.
Old 03-18-2013, 08:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wish Toyota would make a Jeep style vehicle. Not todays FJ. I mean a vehicle that looks like a Jeep but made by Toyota

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a new jeep or toyota