Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Looking to do some mods to my 4-door

Old 03-26-2013, 08:41 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to do some mods to my 4-door

Hey guys, this is my first post to a forum and I'm pretty new to the whole modification process. I'm looking to add a lift, new black wheels, and some bigger tires and am looking for any advice/suggestion anyone can provide. Saw a pic of someone with a 5" lift and 37" tires -- looks pretty awesome! I'd definitely like to explore something like that. Any advice/suggestions?

The black Jeep is the modded one mentioned above -- the red is mine.

Also if someone could give me a ballpark idea of what it'd cost to get this done that's be great!

Thanks in advance for the help. Looking forward to reading the discussion.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-893168755.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	438697   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3108632850.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	438698  
Old 03-26-2013, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Jordan_
Also if someone could give me a ballpark idea of what it'd cost to get this done that's be great!
37's, I'ld take a stab and say you're looking at around $10K. The majority go with 35's because it's the biggest you can go without going to the next big jump of mod spending.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rednroll

37's, I'ld take a stab and say you're looking at around $10K. The majority go with 35's because it's the biggest you can go without going to the next big jump of mod spending.
Yep. You could get a similar appearance with 35s, but save a great deal of cash by going with a 2.5 coil lift.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Agreed with both previous post. I guess the first question would be, what do you wnt to do with the Jeep? To which purpose are you building it? Trail riding, rock climbing, expedition riding, mall crawling? That would put things in a better perspective. To run 37's, depending on what you are doing, could turn costly, I suggest my buddy Cis911 jump into this conversation since he ran a 37" set up on a JK with a budget and offroad it like he stole it.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

You can spend around 4-6K depending on your setup. 37's can be ran on D44's, just make sure to sleeve and gusset your front axle. You'll most likely need to regear as well.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:52 AM
JK Newbie

Exactly the reason I was needing some feedback. To answer a few questions, I don't foresee a lot of crawling or a huge amount of off-roading but my father-in-law is big on Jeep trailing and it sounds like an awesome experience. I definitely don't want to put 10k into it. At least not right off the bat.

I'm not necessarily set on 37s or even the 5" lift, but I really liked the look of that black Jeep and was wanting something similar. The mods are primarily cosmetic and fr the sake of being able to say, "Yeah, that's mine.." LOL
Old 03-27-2013, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you spend time looking at the jeeps with larger tires/lift on the forum and then look at your stock weekend warrior you are bound to have some sort of penis/lift envy. Its natural. I try to ask myself "why" when i do a mod. if its for cosmetic/vanity reasons I tend to talk myself out of them since I place things like that up there with Calf implants and hair extensions. I dont want to be a poser. But Function is another thing or if you break it then of course you need to buy another, larger better one. Of if its going to prevent damage or get me out of being stuck then I am all over it and its easier for me to justify. But I have 4 kids a wife and a mortgage to feed. Its all about who you are and what you want to do with your rig. Just my 2 cents

whats your father in laws jeep set up like?

Last edited by shredd_guy; 03-27-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by shredd_guy
If you spend time looking at the jeeps with larger tires/lift on the forum and then look at your stock weekend warrior you are bound to have some sort of penis/lift envy. Its natural. I try to ask myself "why" when i do a mod. if its for cosmetic/vanity reasons I tend to talk myself out of them since I place things like that up there with Calf implants and hair extensions. I dont want to be a poser. But Function is another thing or if you break it then of course you need to buy another, larger better one. Of if its going to prevent damage or get me out of being stuck then I am all over it and its easier for me to justify. But I have 4 kids a wife and a mortgage to feed. Its all about who you are and what you want to do with your rig. Just my 2 cents

whats your father in laws jeep set up like?
My Jeep is actually his old Jeep. He gave it to my wife before we got married and traded in her old Liberty to buy his truck, because we were getting married and he wanted us to have a reliable vehicle. Since then, we bought a more fuel efficient vehicle for her to drive to and from school for her commute. My father-in-law just recently ordered the 10th anniversary Rubicon Unlimited.

I am stickler with money myself and have a tough time justifying buys stuff "just because", but seeing how I'm planning on trying to keep this Jeep for a long while -- because I absolutely love it -- I want to make some mods to make it feel more like "my Jeep" than "his old Jeep."

I will more than likely stick to simply new rims and tires and possibly a small lift -- more than likely nothing real expensive. Like you, I have a wife -- no kids yet -- but she's not working right now while finishing up nursing school so I'm not looking at doing anything right now. Just looking for some information so I can make the best decision for what I want.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I get it. "your jeep" well then Skys the limit then. maybe something like this would do.

new bumpers front and back 600 to 700 each cheaper on craiglist
winch 600
New tires 33's 200 each??
budget boost 150 to 300
rattle can the wheels black using the playing card technique. Cheap
Old 03-27-2013, 11:46 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it an auto or 6speed and what is the ratio? This is a significant factor that could limit your tire size choices.

Welcome aboard.

Quick Reply: Looking to do some mods to my 4-door