Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Looking for feedback Cooper Discoverer STT

Old 05-09-2013, 05:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for feedback Cooper Discoverer STT

So I'm in the market for tires and had originally wanted KM2's but they're on backorder. I had then thought about going with MTR-K's, but got thrown a curve ball by the tire place when they recommended Cooper Discoverer STT's (it seems almost everyone I talk to has a general dislike of Goodyear). From what I've read, they seem to have pretty good reviews overall, but I was wondering if anyone here was running them and could speak to them at all. Interestingly enough, they tread pattern looks pretty similar to Toyo Open Country M/T's.

Last edited by kkuntz01; 05-09-2013 at 05:59 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've been looking at these to, so I'd luv to hear how they stack up to the top brand tires from personal exp.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

I posted a similar thread on another forum and so far everyone who has chimed in has had positive things to say about the tires. Same for reviews of the tires on different sites. They seem to do pretty well in everything except for real slick mud, which unless you're running boggers you're likely to have problems. From what I've seen, Cooper has been in the tire biz as long as if not longer than Goodyear so that says something I think. They're also the 2nd largest tire company in the U.S.

I guess these have made it onto my shortlist, now to figure out what size...
Old 05-09-2013, 02:51 PM
JK Newbie

I have them in the 35/12.50/17 and they are pretty damn good and less money that several similar tires...and if you run a pro-comp tire, mickey thompson, or dick cepec then you have a cooper made tire because coopers plant makes tires for those big names and others....please chime in if you know the cheapest place to get the cooper SST's as mine are about 1/3 remaining and I will soon need a new set
Old 05-09-2013, 03:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great Tire, They will be my next set for sure.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've had several sets of Cooper Tires, and run the ATP's which are made for Discount Tire on our rig now - great tires. We got a smokin' deal from Discount Tire. I talked to engineers at Discount and Cooper and they said the ATP is the exact compound as the AT3, it just has little different tread design, which I like more.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Happy with mine. If I had to name a con it would be chunking but overall I'm thrilled with them.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

anyone know actual size of the 35"...and weight (kind of a factor since i am using APO to get them)
Old 05-10-2013, 03:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Treasure
I have them in the 35/12.50/17 and they are pretty damn good and less money that several similar tires...and if you run a pro-comp tire, mickey thompson, or dick cepec then you have a cooper made tire because coopers plant makes tires for those big names and others....please chime in if you know the cheapest place to get the cooper SST's as mine are about 1/3 remaining and I will soon need a new set
I just purchased 4- 35x12.50R17 for $279 a tire at Discount Tire. Very impressed with how my jeep drives. They are very quiet on the road. The mickey MTZ are great for tire life, but too expensive to replace:(!
Old 05-12-2013, 02:24 PM
JK Newbie

I just replaced a set of Cooper STT 285/75-16 with 25,000 miles on them for another set of STT's that are 315/75-16. The 285's still have close to 50% tread left and have performed very well. I put the 285's on my son's Chevy 1/2 ton. My only complaint on the new 315's would be they seem to ride a bit worse because they are an E rated tire. I will be lowering the air pressure from 30 to 27 to see if that helps. Personally Cooper is the only brand of tire that I run on any of my vehicles.

Quick Reply: Looking for feedback Cooper Discoverer STT