Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Looking to get a Rubicon and need some guidance

Old 11-06-2012, 10:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to get a Rubicon and need some guidance

Hello everyone. I used to drive a cj5 for work and had the best time of my life when things were slow and we tackled mountain trails. Now that I'm all grown up I want to get a Rubi JK but i need advice on how others have dealt with transitioning from a truck with storage to a JK? Ive got an 8 year with old sporting events and the occasional trip to home depot. What do you guys/ gals think? Also, we may be towing a bayliner boat to local lakes. Has anyone had issues towing?

Any thoughts or ideas are welcomed.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You probably want a 4-door with towing package.

It will tow 3500 pounds if the tow ratings haven't changed for 2013. Hopefully your Bayliner is within that limit.

There's a fair amount of space in a 4-door but its no kind of extended-cab 1/2 ton.

A utility trailer is pretty handy to have if there isn't a pickup in the driveway.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:46 PM
JK Freak

I tow a 13x5 trailer occasionally and I've had it upto 70mph and 2000lbs and it towed great.

I'll mention that if you don't do alot of hardcore wheeling a Sport or Sahara will tackle 90% of what a Rubicon will if you equip it with the 32" tires and the track loc posi.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:11 AM
jdk
JK Freak

If you get a trailer you won't miss your truck at all.
Old 11-07-2012, 04:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I went from a truck to a 4 door rubi in 2010. And personally. If i had to do over i wouldn't do it again. I love my jeep but have needed my truck so many times. I did buy a utility trailer to help out but only a little. It does tow my boat fine. Im trying to get back in a truck and pick up an older jeep to play with. That's just my personal preference.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep my truck when I got my 07 and drove the truck when it was needed. I picked up a hitch rack and used it to haul gear for the baseball teams I coached. The truck sat so much it became a maint problem because I had to make myself drive it. Sold it this summer and picked up a 61/2 x12 utility trailer and have been happy,happy,happy.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While I miss my truck, the 4 door Rubi with the rear seats folder has quite a bit of space and a 5+ foot bed. If you are looking to haul a couple kids and their stuff, the 4 door should work well.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Like others I bought a 5x10 landscape type trailer. Way better than a truck, only downside is needing to store it and the spontaneity of being able to throw something in the back of the truck.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rvator
I keep my truck when I got my 07 and drove the truck when it was needed. I picked up a hitch rack and used it to haul gear for the baseball teams I coached. The truck sat so much it became a maint problem because I had to make myself drive it. Sold it this summer and picked up a 61/2 x12 utility trailer and have been happy,happy,happy.
Exactly what happened to me....put about 200 miles on the pickup in 5 years. Picked up up a 6x12 aluminum trailor, stuck in a controller and brakes, works fine for my occassional needs.

Quick Reply: Looking to get a Rubicon and need some guidance