Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Looking for some help?

Old 07-03-2013, 01:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for some help?

So a couple weeks ago, I took my Jk through the local mud bog, and had to replace my radiator fan assembly, due to mud build up. The problem I am having now, is my jeep is running hot. I cleaned out the fins on the radiator, new fan & blade and new thermostat, also did a complete coolant change. I don't have any leaks,that I can see, the water pump s working fine. No noise from pump either. Oh, it heats up quicker than normal. Has anyone encountered this? Looking for some advice?
Please help?
Old 07-03-2013, 02:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have to go outside to look under the hood. Cant remember if there's a oil and trans cooler under there. But it may sound like a stupid question but is the polarity correct on the new fan.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:52 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Most likely the radiator is still blocked.Had the same problem,took awhile to get all the mud out.Make sure the fan is coming on,check the temp sensor in front of the radiator
Old 07-03-2013, 05:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Do you mean heats up quicker from cold to 180? Or overheats quicker? If its cold to warmed up real fast it might be an engine or oil problem. If it overheats fast, does you fan turn on? Fuse blown? Is it blowing correct direction?
Old 07-03-2013, 06:32 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Did you clean the radiator by removing it? It's nearly impossible to clean between the radiator and the A/C condenser.
Both need to be cleaned separately.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Did you clean the radiator by removing it? It's nearly impossible to clean between the radiator and the A/C condenser.
Both need to be cleaned separately.
Thats a good point. Also when you put the new fluid in the radiator did you let the engine idle long enough to allow the thermostat to open or did you just fill it and put the cap on.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:43 AM
JK Newbie

I did just about everything you all have mentioned, except "burp" the radiator, or take the radiator completely (its a pain in the A**). but it looks like i should do another oil change, and try pulling the radiator. As far as the fan, I thought about that too, i don't believe its running backwards, have too look again.

thanks everyone for the advice. I will post what I found out.

thanks
Old 07-11-2013, 04:53 AM
JK Newbie

Default Status update

So I spent another 2+ hours cleaning my engine compartment/radiator. Still running really hot. When I say really hot I mean above 210 degrees the temp gauge reads at the 3/4 mark to the hot(if that makes sense). Fan works fine/ blowing the right direction. Haven't pulled the radiator out completely yet. Just haven't had the time. I did "burp" the radiator though. Nothing change. Should I just buy a new radiator and say the hell with it and clean it when I have time, to use as a back-up.

Last edited by Coastieguy; 07-11-2013 at 05:26 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Check the thermostat to make sure it's opening fully. I've bought many bad ones over the years.

As for the radiator, try taking a flashlight and put it on the back side. Look from the front. If light passes though, you should have most of the mud out.

Last edited by Changing Gears; 07-11-2013 at 06:08 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Coastieguy
So I spent another 2+ hours cleaning my engine compartment/radiator. Still running really hot. When I say really hot I mean above 210 degrees the temp gauge reads at the 3/4 mark to the hot(if that makes sense). Fan works fine/ blowing the right direction. Haven't pulled the radiator out completely yet. Just haven't had the time. I did "burp" the radiator though. Nothing change. Should I just buy a new radiator and say the hell with it and clean it when I have time, to use as a back-up.
Take the thermostat out see if it still runs hot. If it does then maybe its time for a radiator. There's never a good time to fix on stuff but I would seriously find time for this project. Your playing chicken with your heads

Quick Reply: Looking for some help?