Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Manufacturer Buyback?

Old 12-03-2012, 08:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manufacturer Buyback?

The wife and I are finally taking the plunge and went out to look at some used 2 doors the other day. We found a nice looking 2011 Sport S with 12,000 miles, hard top, tints, manual, Uconnect, and upgraded sound and the S package. Pretty much everything we were looking for plus some things we're not (Uconnect & premium stereo).

We took it for a good long test drive and really liked it. It's priced at $22,500 and they are offering $2500 in trade (probably $500 from where it should be).

When we sat down to talk numbers our salesman "realized" that the Jeep was a manufacturer's buyback and he had to disclose to us that it had a leak problem but that "it's all taken care of now."

I wasn't surprised to hear about a Jeep that leaks but I was to hear that it was bad enough to warrant a buyback. This all pushed us further away from the Jeep but I was wondering if anyone on here has had a positive experience purchasing a lemon/buyback. The dealer I was at blamed the original dealership and said they were too lazy to fix it but now it's all taken care of and that there would be a warranty against any future leak problems. If we decide to go this route I'll take it to a car wash bay and run water on it for a bit to test it. Another concern, however, will be the resale of it for us. We likely won't run this thing to the ground so we'll be looking to move it in a few years. How much of a hit and hassle will we be in for at that time?

Any thoughts?
Justin
Old 12-03-2012, 08:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by granada
The wife and I are finally taking the plunge and went out to look at some used 2 doors the other day. We found a nice looking 2011 Sport S with 12,000 miles, hard top, tints, manual, Uconnect, and upgraded sound and the S package. Pretty much everything we were looking for plus some things we're not (Uconnect & premium stereo).

We took it for a good long test drive and really liked it. It's priced at $22,500 and they are offering $2500 in trade (probably $500 from where it should be).

When we sat down to talk numbers our salesman "realized" that the Jeep was a manufacturer's buyback and he had to disclose to us that it had a leak problem but that "it's all taken care of now."

I wasn't surprised to hear about a Jeep that leaks but I was to hear that it was bad enough to warrant a buyback. This all pushed us further away from the Jeep but I was wondering if anyone on here has had a positive experience purchasing a lemon/buyback. The dealer I was at blamed the original dealership and said they were too lazy to fix it but now it's all taken care of and that there would be a warranty against any future leak problems. If we decide to go this route I'll take it to a car wash bay and run water on it for a bit to test it. Another concern, however, will be the resale of it for us. We likely won't run this thing to the ground so we'll be looking to move it in a few years. How much of a hit and hassle will we be in for at that time?

Any thoughts?
Justin
I bought my 2011 brand new for 20,347.00 ... so I would say you can buy a new jeep zero miles for cheaper..
Old 12-03-2012, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wouldn't go anywhere near a buyback, personally. Is it even discounted? Seems expensive as hell for the old motor.

Overall, no thanks.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:48 AM
JK Junkie

I agree with everyone. I would stay away from this possible lemon. Also if you can find one at the right price, I would get a 2012 or newer because of the newer engine. I really enjoy the horsepower increase compared to my 2010 when i drive the wife's 2012. Just my opion
Old 12-03-2012, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the replies. I heard back from the dealership and they won't move (right now) on the price. They sent me an AutoCheck that shows that there is a title issue because of the buyback. He did say that the leak is warrantied from a year from the date of sale to a new owner and it still has it's manufacturer warranty. It's tough getting that close to buying a vehicle and walking away but I think that's probably what's best at this juncture.

Originally Posted by Locko
I bought my 2011 brand new for 20,347.00 ... so I would say you can buy a new jeep zero miles for cheaper..
I'm sure I can find a jeep for cheaper but this one just happened to have the options we were looking for. It won't be the last one with those options though.

Originally Posted by Rubicop
I wouldn't go anywhere near a buyback, personally. Is it even discounted? Seems expensive as hell for the old motor.

Overall, no thanks.
It's not discounted enough for us to make a deal on.

Originally Posted by red2010rubi
I agree with everyone. I would stay away from this possible lemon. Also if you can find one at the right price, I would get a 2012 or newer because of the newer engine. I really enjoy the horsepower increase compared to my 2010 when i drive the wife's 2012. Just my opion
At this point the 2012s are probably more than we want to spend but I have been looking. Invoice on a 2012 equipped the way we want is about $25,500. While that is not that high this whole adventure started with a budget around 20, grew to 23 and new pushes up over 25k. From what I have seen, the 2012s on the used market are selling too close to new or are the most base models with auto trans that were rented for a year.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:22 PM
JK Junkie

Good luck granada & welcome to the foum
Old 12-03-2012, 03:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would walk away. You read about those people that had a lemon that just seemed to be in the shop all the time. This red flag should be all you need to know to look else where. Odds are your not going to be happy in the long run. BTW I got my 2012 brand new 2 door sport for $25K. The price they are asking should be at least $5k cheaper if it was a buy back. Dealer is scamming you.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine looks and has the exact same options as this one, and even though they are asking 27K+ I offered 25K and they took it.
New 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport For Sale | Aurora CO | Stock: 7965L | Serving Denver, CO
Old 12-03-2012, 03:49 PM
JK Super Freak

I wouldn't even consider that Jeep. Just because they're telling you it was just a leak issue, doesn't mean it's true. It may have leaked, but that may only be part of the story. It may have had a lot of other issues that they're not telling you about. And the price seems very high. Do yourself a favor and get a new one. It's not going to be that much more, but you'll sleep better at night. And the fact that this one has titles issues should be another major red flag. Never trust what a dealer tells you.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by granada

Any thoughts?
Justin
Look at www.davidstanleydodge.com can get a great deal. Also try autotrader.com

Quick Reply: Manufacturer Buyback?