Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Missed my 5 year life-time drive train warranty inspection. Now what?

Old 08-07-2015, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts
Default Missed my 5 year life-time drive train warranty inspection. Now what?

So I purchased my JKU new in 2009 when Chrysler still had the lifetime power train warranty. It was one of major reasons behind my purchase and purchasing new. I received the card from the dealer reminding me of the 5 year inspection date, which gave me a 3 month window to bring it in for the inspection. However, during that time I was so busy at work, the last thing I had time to do was schedule an appointment and take off of work to do so and the dealer isn't open on the weekends. So that time came and went and I didn't get a chance to bring it in for the inspection.

There's nothing wrong currently with my power train but what are my options? Does this mean I lost my life-time power train warranty? What's been the experience with others that may have had this same situation?
Old 08-08-2015, 05:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Lifetime Warranty

Make time and take it for the inspection ASAP. If you scheduled an appointment within the window and then cancelled because of work tell them that.

How many miles on it?
Old 08-08-2015, 07:06 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make an appointment ASAP. All they need to do is make an inspection for it to remain valid. Then they'll tell you what needs maintenance and whether it's covered under the warranty or not. You don't even have to commit to fixing anything, the inspection by a jeep tech is only what needs to be done to uphold the warranty. If you've completely missed your window, you might be out of luck. Sorry.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 3 month window is a very big window. If you didn't took it in in that time, you are most likely out of luck and have no more lifetime warranty. But a friendly call to the dealer will provide you with the right answer.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:11 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

It's actually a 120 day window.
The inspection must be made within sixty (60) days of each 5 year anniversary of the in-service date of the vehicle. You must have the inspection performed to continue this coverage.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:20 AM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sad to hear that an employee is afraid of missing a $200 day at work to protect a multiple thousand $ potential future repair bill.
Guys when you get a little older you'll learn a couple of things.

1) No one has ever layed on their death bed and complained about taking too many vacations.

2) If you are afraid to take a day off work at your job you work for the wrong people. They take time off.

3) You or someone close to you will get an illness that you want to help with. The job won't matter too much at that time. Your employer will support you or you work for the wrong employer.

THEY NEED YOU at your best.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Missed my 5 year life-time drive train warranty inspection. Now what?

The inspection window is 120 days which means 60 days before OR AFTER your in service anniversary date. Make the time, it takes less than 1 hour.

Last edited by OH9JK; 08-09-2015 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-10-2015, 03:48 AM
DaK
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OH9JK
The inspection window is 120 days which means 60 days before OR AFTER your in service anniversary date. Make the time, it takes less than 1 hour.

Good to know this. Was concerned they would want it for a few days. Obviously they don't drop the transmission in that hr. Wonder if I have to drop the skids for this? Our's is coming into the 60 day window next month. Bought a left over, in case someone is trying to do the math.
Old 08-10-2015, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, I'm like 8 months past my window. It's easy to say just take a day off when you're really not familiar with someone's particular job situation. What pisses me off is that I'm given a window in the 1st place, and it's at my inconvenience. Chrysler needs to do an inspection? Here's my work address, come and do it on your time. Glass repair shops do it all the time. Don't make me have to schedule an appointment to bring my car in during the hours that I'm working and have to take time off of work to do it. Oh...your dealer isn't open on the weekends and evenings when I am available and your dealership is 50 miles away from where I work. Great....how convenient.

Sounds like it's time to pull out those original contracts to see where my signature appears that tells me I lose my warranty if I don't bring my JKU in during their defined window of opportunity.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 101gargoyles
Sad to hear that an employee is afraid of missing a $200 day at work to protect a multiple thousand $ potential future repair bill.
Guys when you get a little older you'll learn a couple of things.

1) No one has ever layed on their death bed and complained about taking too many vacations.

2) If you are afraid to take a day off work at your job you work for the wrong people. They take time off.

3) You or someone close to you will get an illness that you want to help with. The job won't matter too much at that time. Your employer will support you or you work for the wrong employer.

THEY NEED YOU at your best.
1st, I get paid more than $200 a day. 2nd I'm a project manager where I work on very time sensitive projects where every day counts to meet those project deadlines. I manage a team, without me giving direction to the team means not only one person missed a day of work, it means the team missed a day of work without being provided team guidance to complete tasks that need to be done to meet those project deadlines. Missing a project deadline has consequences for each day it's late on the order of millions of dollars for each day, as well as losing considerations for the next multi million dollar awarded project for not meeting those customer deadlines. During those project crunch times which can easily last 4-6 months, missing a day for taking your Jeep into the dealer for something that is not critical is impractical. Outside of those crunch times, I can come and go as I choose. I get paid the same, if I'm there or not I'm a salary employee. Vacation outside of those times is not a problem. What my performance is graded on, is completing my assigned project on time and meeting the customer expectations so we will maintain to be considered for the next project. I'm not a 9-5 employee who does the same task everyday where that same task will be waiting for me the next day if I miss a day. I manage a $200 million/year account. I jeopardize that account due to missing customer project deadlines, it puts that account at risk of losing it, which will not only impact myself, it will impact the jobs of the team that also relies on that account. I guess, I'm not old enough or responsible enough to take my Jeep into the dealer during Chrysler's window because I prioritize the livelihood of the team that works with me and relies on me as well as a customer that relies on me to make sure their expected deliverables are met. I jeopardize that, I not only jeopardize my job but I jeopardize the jobs of my team and the customers I'm working with as well, which provides us all an income which allows all of us to comfortably afford to purchase items we enjoy such as a Jeep Wrangler. Wow....I feel so irresponsible. Thanks for pointing these things out to me. I'm glad you know me so well.

Here I was just looking to see if I had any options, because I was pretty busy during my inspection window time frame and now I have some time to take my Jeep to the dealer but instead I got some lessons in life from someone who knows nothing about my job responsibilities or the potential impact of me taking a day off during certain times which can have a significant impact on myself and others that I work with. Yes, I do have a supervisor who could have filled in for me in my absence but since he's not directly involved in the project I'm responsible for managing there would be some impact and I'm pretty certain he would definitely understand my prioritization decision making for me needing to take the day off so I can take my Jeep into the dealer for an "inspection" just so I can make sure I maintain my warranty just in case something does happen.

Thank you for your insight. I'll be sure to make sure I take more time off to stop and smell the roses and enjoy the finer things in life like they say, or in this case bring my Jeep into the dealer for an inspection within Chrysler's defined window.

There's another thing they say as well, and that is if your house is burning then that is not the time to focus on other things, because your family is in that house and is relying on you with their livelihood. You make sure your family is out of harm's way, put the fire out, and then move on to the other things in your leisure. Maybe I'm wrong in following that code of ethics and reasoning.

Last edited by Rednroll; 08-11-2015 at 01:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Missed my 5 year life-time drive train warranty inspection. Now what?