Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Missed my 5 year life-time drive train warranty inspection. Now what?

Old 08-12-2015, 11:33 PM
Former Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
1st, I get paid more than $200 a day. 2nd I'm a project manager where I work on very time sensitive projects where every day counts to meet those project deadlines. I manage a team, without me giving direction to the team means not only one person missed a day of work, it means the team missed a day of work without being provided team guidance to complete tasks that need to be done to meet those project deadlines. Missing a project deadline has consequences for each day it's late on the order of millions of dollars for each day, as well as losing considerations for the next multi million dollar awarded project for not meeting those customer deadlines. During those project crunch times which can easily last 4-6 months, missing a day for taking your Jeep into the dealer for something that is not critical is impractical. Outside of those crunch times, I can come and go as I choose. I get paid the same, if I'm there or not I'm a salary employee. Vacation outside of those times is not a problem. What my performance is graded on, is completing my assigned project on time and meeting the customer expectations so we will maintain to be considered for the next project. I'm not a 9-5 employee who does the same task everyday where that same task will be waiting for me the next day if I miss a day. I manage a $200 million/year account. I jeopardize that account due to missing customer project deadlines, it puts that account at risk of losing it, which will not only impact myself, it will impact the jobs of the team that also relies on that account. I guess, I'm not old enough or responsible enough to take my Jeep into the dealer during Chrysler's window because I prioritize the livelihood of the team that works with me and relies on me as well as a customer that relies on me to make sure their expected deliverables are met. I jeopardize that, I not only jeopardize my job but I jeopardize the jobs of my team and the customers I'm working with as well, which provides us all an income which allows all of us to comfortably afford to purchase items we enjoy such as a Jeep Wrangler. Wow....I feel so irresponsible. Thanks for pointing these things out to me. I'm glad you know me so well.

Here I was just looking to see if I had any options, because I was pretty busy during my inspection window time frame and now I have some time to take my Jeep to the dealer but instead I got some lessons in life from someone who knows nothing about my job responsibilities or the potential impact of me taking a day off during certain times which can have a significant impact on myself and others that I work with. Yes, I do have a supervisor who could have filled in for me in my absence but since he's not directly involved in the project I'm responsible for managing there would be some impact and I'm pretty certain he would definitely understand my prioritization decision making for me needing to take the day off so I can take my Jeep into the dealer for an "inspection" just so I can make sure I maintain my warranty just in case something does happen.

Thank you for your insight. I'll be sure to make sure I take more time off to stop and smell the roses and enjoy the finer things in life like they say, or in this case bring my Jeep into the dealer for an inspection within Chrysler's defined window.

There's another thing they say as well, and that is if your house is burning then that is not the time to focus on other things, because your family is in that house and is relying on you with their livelihood. You make sure your family is out of harm's way, put the fire out, and then move on to the other things in your leisure. Maybe I'm wrong in following that code of ethics and reasoning.
The $200 per day wage I gave out was a national average. Me and you make a lot more and have the same type of jobs and income for it. The people I work for plan on job succession and expect us to look after the important things in our lives so that we will continue to be the leaders that keep the company profitable in the future. We train others to to keep the chain of command operable when necessary and have no fear of becoming redundant.
Want me to send an application out?
On the other hand if you have the time to write such a lenghty reply...forget about the application.

Last edited by 101gargoyles; 08-16-2015 at 11:14 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Inspection

I thought it was pretty wildly generous to offer a lifetime PT warranty on a 4x4 vehicle when no other company offered one before or since... so I don't think a periodic 5 year inspection with a 6 month window is unreasonable. They did it during one of my oil changes.

A suggestion. Call Jeep and explain you missed the window and ask them to approve an inspection to keep the warranty active. I actually called them about another issue I had with a different vehicle that was just outside the 3/36 on it and they worked with me and the dealer to fix it.

Last edited by barnettd; 08-14-2015 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:58 PM
JK Freak

I had an issue that I brought my Jeep in for an issue and Chrysler warranted something a few miles over the mark that I had it brought in for before. Before I got off the phone with the Chrysler rep he informed me I missed my inspection and he was revoking my lifetime power train warranty (in a smug voice).
I contacted my dealer and let them know that they should have notified me of the inspection when it was being serviced. They agreed and got the warranty reinstated.
Some dealers have weekend dropoff, could always grab a rental car or have an analyst from your project drop it off and pick it up when it's done.

Did project work for the Big 6... I know what go time is like.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
1st, I get paid more than $200 a day. 2nd I'm a project manager where I work on very time sensitive projects where every day counts to meet those project deadlines. I manage a team, without me giving direction to the team means not only one person missed a day of work, it means the team missed a day of work without being provided team guidance to complete tasks that need to be done to meet those project deadlines. Missing a project deadline has consequences for each day it's late on the order of millions of dollars for each day, as well as losing considerations for the next multi million dollar awarded project for not meeting those customer deadlines. During those project crunch times which can easily last 4-6 months, missing a day for taking your Jeep into the dealer for something that is not critical is impractical. Outside of those crunch times, I can come and go as I choose. I get paid the same, if I'm there or not I'm a salary employee. Vacation outside of those times is not a problem. What my performance is graded on, is completing my assigned project on time and meeting the customer expectations so we will maintain to be considered for the next project. I'm not a 9-5 employee who does the same task everyday where that same task will be waiting for me the next day if I miss a day. I manage a $200 million/year account. I jeopardize that account due to missing customer project deadlines, it puts that account at risk of losing it, which will not only impact myself, it will impact the jobs of the team that also relies on that account. I guess, I'm not old enough or responsible enough to take my Jeep into the dealer during Chrysler's window because I prioritize the livelihood of the team that works with me and relies on me as well as a customer that relies on me to make sure their expected deliverables are met. I jeopardize that, I not only jeopardize my job but I jeopardize the jobs of my team and the customers I'm working with as well, which provides us all an income which allows all of us to comfortably afford to purchase items we enjoy such as a Jeep Wrangler. Wow....I feel so irresponsible. Thanks for pointing these things out to me. I'm glad you know me so well. Here I was just looking to see if I had any options, because I was pretty busy during my inspection window time frame and now I have some time to take my Jeep to the dealer but instead I got some lessons in life from someone who knows nothing about my job responsibilities or the potential impact of me taking a day off during certain times which can have a significant impact on myself and others that I work with. Yes, I do have a supervisor who could have filled in for me in my absence but since he's not directly involved in the project I'm responsible for managing there would be some impact and I'm pretty certain he would definitely understand my prioritization decision making for me needing to take the day off so I can take my Jeep into the dealer for an "inspection" just so I can make sure I maintain my warranty just in case something does happen. Thank you for your insight. I'll be sure to make sure I take more time off to stop and smell the roses and enjoy the finer things in life like they say, or in this case bring my Jeep into the dealer for an inspection within Chrysler's defined window. There's another thing they say as well, and that is if your house is burning then that is not the time to focus on other things, because your family is in that house and is relying on you with their livelihood. You make sure your family is out of harm's way, put the fire out, and then move on to the other things in your leisure. Maybe I'm wrong in following that code of ethics and reasoning.
What do you do for a living if you don't mind me asking? Do you rebuild power plant turbines?
Old 08-29-2015, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know when I took my Jeep in for the 5 year check up on my birthday they told me it was already passed it but I was only a month and a half from my date of delivery and that the time limit has changedI told him that I was not notified of the change and I can bring in my original paperwork when I bought the vehicle I had to fight to get my warranty reinstated they try everything to get out of their lifetime warranty. I never got a letter from Chrysler to tell me bring it in either. This is yet another reason I will not give Chrysler another dime. There Holdings Company just like the one I work for and don't care about their product employees and customers as long as their shareholders are making money.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think I did my five year inspection in 2012 (I bought my '08 in '07) - it really was quick and painless, but I made sure not to miss it JUST in case. They've only had to do free diff fluid changes over the last three years (keeps leaking so they keep 'fixing'), but it's something.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:25 PM
JK Newbie

My fully covered inspection took less than 30 minutes. When I asked about this, they said, "Yeah, we're really just checking for anything that leaks."

I could have done it over lunch.
Old 09-12-2015, 04:01 AM
DaK
JK Enthusiast

Got the notice and called to make the appt. Asked if I had to remove my skids and they said no. So it must be quick and painless.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Must be the President. If you are that busy, hire some one to take it in. You only had 3 months. Yeah, they should come to you for your inspection . You lead a crew and couldn't figure it out ? Are they hiring ? LOL !
Old 09-14-2015, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

I'm pretty certain I asked for advise from those who may have missed the window like I did. I take full responsibility for missing that window. I put a higher priority on other items. I don't feel, I have to explain my life situations, or job responsibilities to anyone on this forum to justify my own personal reasons for missing the window and really don't expect the criticism, since you have no real insight to someone else's personal situation to be able to offer anything meaningful. I was seeking advise from others who may have missed it as well and their experience. Instead the majority of replies have been nothing but criticism for me missing the time window. These responses are not helpful, I've already been criticizing myself for missing the window because I'm disappointed I missed the window. If you're not one of those people who experienced the same situation and can't offer any constructive advise than how about having a tall cool glass of STFU, because your criticism is not constructive and unwarranted.

I'll PM the one person who did respond who ran into this same situation. I wouldn't want to bother the holier than thou crowd with these types of discussion details so they could be beneficial to the rest of the community.

Last edited by Rednroll; 09-14-2015 at 11:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Missed my 5 year life-time drive train warranty inspection. Now what?