Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Motorcycle carrier on front of jeep?

Old 05-22-2013, 01:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorcycle carrier on front of jeep?

Has anyone used a hitch receiver mounted motorcycle carrier on the front of their jk? I think I might prefer this over putting it on the rear so I can see if anything is coming loose and such. I'm just wondering about blocking the headlights. Pictures please!

Thanks in advance
Old 05-22-2013, 04:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wednesday evening bump
Old 05-22-2013, 05:15 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

I've never seen it done. If a winch can make the front end sag lower than I can only imagine what a motorcycle would do. I just hauled a moped in a standard hitch thing on the rear of my JKU. I took it 100 miles. Best thing I can recommend: get the really good ratchet tie downs from Home Depot that actually clip on the ends instead of having an S hook. Problem with the S hook is they can come undone if you hit a good bump when the motorcycle shocks compress. By getting tie downs with ends that clip in, they will not detach when hitting a bump.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:20 PM
JK Newbie

Not a smart idea at all IMO what happens if you have to go up any sort of hilly driveway entrance or hit a pothole or big bump? With the jeep carrying what, 200-500 lbs on the front I can only imagine the rake its gonna have. Gonna look like a corvette front end with that thing on it

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 05-22-2013, 05:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We always compress the suspension when tying them down so s hook has been fine.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:51 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnymurad
We always compress the suspension when tying them down so s hook has been fine.
I don't agree with this. I almost lost my Harley twice before getting the clip style tie downs. It is not good for a bike to fully compress the shocks, particularly the front ones. I used to do this but had an experience with my sons TTR 125 where when we got to our riding place we discovered the the front shock seal had exploded from a few hours of being fully compressed. Now I only partially compress and rely on the clip style ends.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle carrier on front of jeep?