Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Must Have Tools, Sockets, Wrenches, Etc?

Old 01-24-2015, 01:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Must Have Tools, Sockets, Wrenches, Etc?

Hi,

I don't want to break up any tool sets I currently have, but plan on going to get tool to carry with me at all times. I did not install my suspension so not sure of everything I would need or specific popular sizes. can you guys list out all the essentials for me? What are the must have sockets sizes that would cover most anything that could go wrong?

Im gonna get bag with duct tape, zip ties, a first aid kit, and most anything you all tell me to get.

Thank you!
Old 01-24-2015, 06:33 PM
JK Freak

A good metric socket set ranging from 10mm to 21mm a 35mm and a 36mm plus a 24mm for the oil filter on the Pentastar motor. If not the whole set, a 10, 13, 15, 18, 19, 21, 24, 35, and 36 mm will be a good start. Also torque drivers, T30 and T40 for the top and windshield panels and T50 for the door hinges. I like Gorilla tape better than duct tape, I also carry JB Weld and a puncture tire repair kit as well as a can of fix a flat.

Last edited by holy_crap; 01-24-2015 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My most used item, tow strap. I've never needed to be pulled out of a situation, but I've pulled friends out of the snow, and even one that was rolled over.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:17 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by holy_crap
... 10, 13, 15, 18, 19, 21, 24, 35, and 36 mm will be a good start. ....
There is a 16 mm on there somewhere, too. Not sure where, but I know it's there, LOL. A 5/8" will sub okay for it.

Which begs the question of, why metric only? If you've got aftermarket parts, then you almost definitely need an SAE set, too. On top of that, your trail buddy may not have the tools he needs and may be depending on you. And if he's driving a Nissan Xterra, trying to limit yourself to what's exactly on your Jeep is perhaps not a good idea (yes, he should be carrying his own tools, but what if?).

A short, funny story. Yesterday was pulling the front aftermarket driveshaft on my Jeep so I could lube the CV joint end (can't get at the needle grease zerk with it connected up to the transfer case). Looked and thought, 12 mm. Crawled out from under the Jeep, went and got a 12 mm wrench, crawled back under the Jeep. Too small. Okay, 13 mm. Got back up (bear in mind that I'm 65 years old and getting up and down takes its tole on this old man!), crawled back under. Nope, too loose. Say what the ... Doh! 1/2". Of course. Aftermarket driveshaft. Carry SAE sets, too, unless your Jeep is 100% stock and your feeling about helping your buddy or someone you meet on the trail is, "To heck with those fools."
Old 01-25-2015, 04:18 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
There is a 16 mm on there somewhere, too. Not sure where, but I know it's there, LOL. A 5/8" will sub okay for it. Which begs the question of, why metric only? If you've got aftermarket parts, then you almost definitely need an SAE set, too. On top of that, your trail buddy may not have the tools he needs and may be depending on you. And if he's driving a Nissan Xterra, trying to limit yourself to what's exactly on your Jeep is perhaps not a good idea (yes, he should be carrying his own tools, but what if?). A short, funny story. Yesterday was pulling the front aftermarket driveshaft on my Jeep so I could lube the CV joint end (can't get at the needle grease zerk with it connected up to the transfer case). Looked and thought, 12 mm. Crawled out from under the Jeep, went and got a 12 mm wrench, crawled back under the Jeep. Too small. Okay, 13 mm. Got back up (bear in mind that I'm 65 years old and getting up and down takes its tole on this old man!), crawled back under. Nope, too loose. Say what the ... Doh! 1/2". Of course. Aftermarket driveshaft. Carry SAE sets, too, unless your Jeep is 100% stock and your feeling about helping your buddy or someone you meet on the trail is, "To heck with those fools."
Lol, you're right, I forgot the 16mm wrench to remove the front shocks. Good catch.

Quick Reply: Must Have Tools, Sockets, Wrenches, Etc?