Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Near Jeep Death

Old 01-10-2013, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Near Jeep Death

It snowed pretty hard today
I slowdown coming to an intersection and as I did my Abs kicked in and I start to slide all the way to the intersection
Check to the left and there was nothing check to the right and a semi was coming my way
I thought for sure as a jeep started in around that the semi was going to t-bone my jeep. I was more worried about my jeep being told that anything else
My tires must've caught a dry spot on the pavement and stopped just short of getting hit by the semi
I was very shaken and so glad my jeep left without a scratch

Just a note
The mud tires that come stock with the Rubicon are horrible for snow as they have no siping

Buying snow tires this week with studs

Thank God my jeep is okay again I love my jeep
Old 01-10-2013, 06:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

something similar happened to me a couple winters ago. going down a hill on slushy roads a guy in a ford e250 van yapping on his phone blew a stop sign. my abs kicked in but jeep was hungry for some ford tbone. new bumper and tranny mounts for me!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4253315456.jpg
Views:	747
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	408126
Old 01-11-2013, 02:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Wow...glad your o-k bud...I drive with the BFG's all winter...Seems to be o-k for me...
Air down a little 28-30 PSI...al is good so far...like anything you can't over do it...
Yes it is easy to get out of control...
Old 01-11-2013, 06:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, those are scary times. I normally love ABS -- but thats the one time I hate it. I wish there was a nice big red panic button on the dash you can hit to turn it off. Its no help being able to steer if you have nowhere to steer to. I'd rather try to scratch and claw to a stop than abs-buzz my way into oblivion. Anyway, glad you make it out ok.

I ran KM1's for a winter, and was pretty happy with them. Did much better than I thought they would have.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a tire shop take a siping machine to my first set of Rubicon BFG's. I made sure they did not run the cuts all the way across the outside tread blocks.

Ran them for 40k and they wore fine. After a few thousand miles they start to open up and give a decent traction improvement. I left the other potential 20k of rubber on the pavement due to poor self control on the go-pedal, not the sipings fault.

I have recently put on a new set of stock BFG's and not siped them yet but plan to.

But ya, not as good as dedicated snows. I sometimes play in the winter mud so would not run snow tires anyway, but I wish we could legally runs studs in Michigan.

Last edited by Yankee; 01-11-2013 at 06:16 AM.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:46 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That's scary! I got Duratrac tires and there GREAT IN SNOW glad ur ok!
Old 01-11-2013, 08:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I lived in NH I went with Studded Snow tires. They saved my *** a few times. Driving in a blizzard seeing car after truck in ditches I was glad I made the purchase. For some reason ppl that have 4x4's think they dont have to slow down because they have it in 4wd. There the first ones in the ditches during a snow storm.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 12 Arctic Unlimited
Wow...glad your o-k bud...I drive with the BFG's all winter...Seems to be o-k for me...
Air down a little 28-30 PSI...al is good so far...like anything you can't over do it...
Yes it is easy to get out of control...
it was with my stock duellers. just got my bfg's in august and love them so far!
Old 01-11-2013, 04:31 PM
JK Junkie

Glad your ok and glad your jeep is ok!
Old 01-11-2013, 05:03 PM
JK Freak

Dam that was close. Glad all is good now go out and play lotto

Quick Reply: Near Jeep Death