Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Need a 4-door: trade '12 Sport for '08 Unlimited Rubicon?

Old 11-29-2012, 04:33 PM
N83
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need a 4-door: trade '12 Sport for '08 Unlimited Rubicon? UPDATE

In addition to the wife and I having a second child on the way, we also adapted a second (large) dog. We can no longer fit the "whole family" in the 2-door. I've contemplated trading in for a '13 bone-freaking-stock Sport, but even that might be pushing it. I eventually started looking at older (and better equipped) Unlimited's. I found a really nice '08 Rubicon with 48K miles and all the goodies minus leather for $23.9K. My '12 with 7K miles has a KBB trade-in around $21.5K.

I know someone on here got darn-near crucified for wanting to trade for something older (although I think it was mostly the difference in value that earned the scorn). I haven't driven a Jeep with the 3.8 yet, but I figure going from a 3.6 auto to 3.8 6speed with 4.10s might not be TOO bad. Thoughts?

Last edited by N83; 12-01-2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drive it and see how you like it first andif you do and fit in your buget then get it
Old 11-29-2012, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

What kind of wheeling do you plan on doing with the Jeep?

The 3.6L really shines with the 5-speed auto and is arguably more enjoyable to drive than the 3.8L with a stick. Although it's never a bad thing to scoop up a good deal on a Rubi, I'd look for a new or used '12 Unlimited Sport so you can keep the warranty and the engine/tranny combo.

Last edited by Spank; 11-29-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by N83
In addition to the wife and I having a second child on the way, we also adapted a second (large) dog. We can no longer fit the "whole family" in the 2-door. I've contemplated trading in for a '13 bone-freaking-stock Sport, but even that might be pushing it. I eventually started looking at older (and better equipped) Unlimited's. I found a really nice '08 Rubicon with 48K miles and all the goodies minus leather for $23.9K. My '12 with 7K miles has a KBB trade-in around $21.5K.

I know someone on here got darn-near crucified for wanting to trade for something older (although I think it was mostly the difference in value that earned the scorn). I haven't driven a Jeep with the 3.8 yet, but I figure going from a 3.6 auto to 3.8 6speed with 4.10s might not be TOO bad. Thoughts?
Maybe look at a Sahara auto with 3.73 or rubi auto with 4.10. You bought the '12 with the auto so it seems you prefer it. Everyone rags on the old powertrain and its true that it isn't as peppy as the new one but its without a doubt still drivable. Most of us on this forum have the old powertrain including myself. Go drive some and see if its for you. If you don't need a rubi, you could keep the cost down by getting a Sahara or sport, just stay away from the 3.21 gears.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:43 PM
JK Junkie

As a driver of an '08 with the 6 speed, you'll not notice much difference between the 3.6 auto and 3.8 manual. In fact if you drive it right and shift at low RPM's you'll get really good MPG's. I average 21 for my daily driving (30 miles freeway, 12 city) with shifting around 1500-1700. However when I need to give extra oomph, I can run up the RPM's and I have all I need.

Under 50K for an '08 is really good, but I would recommend getting a warranty on it just to cover things.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:18 AM
N83
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Spank
What kind of wheeling do you plan on doing with the Jeep?

The 3.6L really shines with the 5-speed auto and is arguably more enjoyable to drive than the 3.8L with a stick. Although it's never a bad thing to scoop up a good deal on a Rubi, I'd look for a new or used '12 Unlimited Sport so you can keep the warranty and the engine/tranny combo.
Most of my wheeling will be trails in the GWNF- lots of loose rock, some rock steps, stream crossings, etc. The appeal of a Rubi for me is that it has all the things I'd do to a Sport (plus a few extra) so I wouldn't be spending money on a lift/wheels/tires/locker down the road. I'd end up keeping it pretty much stock.

Originally Posted by AirJordan613
Maybe look at a Sahara auto with 3.73 or rubi auto with 4.10. You bought the '12 with the auto so it seems you prefer it. Everyone rags on the old powertrain and its true that it isn't as peppy as the new one but its without a doubt still drivable. Most of us on this forum have the old powertrain including myself. Go drive some and see if its for you. If you don't need a rubi, you could keep the cost down by getting a Sahara or sport, just stay away from the 3.21 gears.
Yes, there was a slight preference with the auto, but I really don't mind going with a manual (wife's Fusion is a 6-speed). I don't "need" a Rubi, but like I said above, it'd be nice to have all the mods I'd eventually do be part of the package.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:11 PM
N83
JK Enthusiast

Well, traded the '12 in today, but it was for a different '08. This one had more miles (70K) but I walked away with it for about $21.7 INCLUDING a lifetime powertrain warranty. Not too shabby considering retail was over $24K! I'll post some pics when I get a chance, but below are the specs:

2008 Flame Red Rubicon Unlimited
6-speed manual, 4.10s, soft top

The first mod's gonna have to be to get a Uconnect module or whatever it takes to be able to use the phone button on the head unit. I was kinda bummed that it had the button but wasn't equipped.

All in all I'm really happy. The power is definitely less, but when I needed to downshift to merge it had plenty of power. On top of all that, I still averaged 22mpg on my way home from the dealership with mostly highway and a few lights thrown-in for good measure.

Oh yeah, it was also equipped with the door dimple mod, haha. Didn't notice that one till after all the paperwork was done, but it wouldn't have made a difference to me either way.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:30 PM
JK Junkie

Congrats

All you need to get the Uconnect to work is the microphone. Search for Uconnect on here and you should find several threads which should have the part number needed. That's what I had to do, but no software changes are needed, it will detect when the mic is plugged in
Old 12-01-2012, 03:59 PM
N83
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scouter4life
Congrats

All you need to get the Uconnect to work is the microphone. Search for Uconnect on here and you should find several threads which should have the part number needed. That's what I had to do, but no software changes are needed, it will detect when the mic is plugged in
Wow, that's it? Sounds like good news to me! Thanks a lot!!!
Old 12-01-2012, 04:11 PM
JK Newbie

Glad tou found something that worked financially and still met your requirements. An unlimited Rubicon is one of the most versatile vehicles around, regardless of the year.

Quick Reply: Need a 4-door: trade '12 Sport for '08 Unlimited Rubicon?