Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Need info from those running Bestop soft doors

Old 07-27-2013, 08:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need info from those running Bestop soft doors

3 weeks ago or so, I ordered a complete set of Bestop half doors for my JKU (that's 2 front, 2 rear). I'd owned the 2-pc. soft doors on my TJ, so I know they sometimes need to be tweaked a little bit to make everything line up right... no big deal...

BUT!

When I installed the paddle latches and went to put the doors on the hinges, the door latches on the Jeep were not lining up with the receiving mechanism on the paddle latches on the half doors. NOT EVEN CLOSE. So, upon further inspection, I discovered that the Part Number stamped on my latches is not the part number specified in the installation notes.

Here is the illustration of the paddle latch taken from the install instructions:

Here is what they sent me:

The latches I was sent do not have the 2 bolts on the side, that would allow for vertical adjustment:

The end result?

No amount of little plastic spacers can compensate for a 2" difference. I'd have to bend the crap out of the doors to the point that nothing else would align properly. Except for the latches not lining up, everything else looks GREAT.

I called Quadratec and after being on hold for 20 minutes finally got a person on the line, who put me on hold for another 10 minutes while they called Bestop, and I was told that they would be sending new parts in the next day or two and that I'd get an email with a tracking number when they shipped them.

A WEEK GOES BY. Still no email and no replacement parts. So I send an email directly to Bestop Customer Service and explain everything and provide the part numbers and ask for help resolving the problem. A couple days pass, and the only reply was,
"the only difference was they were upgraded to locking".

IF YOU OWN BESTOP SOFT DOORS ON A JK, did everything work right or did you have issues? AND, would you please run out and check the PART NUMBER stamped on the back and post it here? If you have photos of a soft door latch that worked perfectly and could post it that would be awesome.

I sent Bestop another email with these photos but it will be Monday before I can call and find out what the heck is going on. If they can't help me I'm returning the doors for a refund. Stay tuned...
TIA

And if there's a rep from Quadratec or Bestop that can help me resolve this, that would go a long way. You are going to lose more than just one customer over this kind of issue.

Last edited by dustdriver; 07-27-2013 at 08:31 AM. Reason: grr
Old 07-27-2013, 09:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went and looked at my Bestop tube doors as this'd look like the same latches. It looks to me that if I were to trade sides that they would not fit
Try trading sides...
Old 07-27-2013, 09:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

My driver side paddle latch is part 459.25, and it looks just like yours (i.e. no side bolts for vertical adjustment). The overall fitment leaves a lot to be desired, but the latch lines up and is functional.

Have you tried adjusting the bolts under the velcro flap near the hinge pins? I recall having to do that to get the latch to line up properly.

EDIT: I have a 2-door JK, so I don't know what the rear latch fitment is like on a JKU.

Last edited by mvymr; 07-27-2013 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Driver side front = 459.25
Driver side rear = 459.24

Pass side front - 459.24
Pass side rear - 459.25
Old 07-27-2013, 11:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Looks like they are flipped over and on the wrong side. Try switching sides. I have the soft doors as well and they don't have the adjustment on the latch, rather it's adjustable from the Lower hinge point.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Passenger side front.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3357385613.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	482624  
Old 07-28-2013, 08:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Even with adjustment to the lower hinge bolts, I was only able to get the front latches to align.

I had to flip the rear latches upside-down and swap sides to get them to align and latch. At least, they are upside-down from what is shown in the instructions... not sure if that is okay to do or not (might come unlatched going down the road??). Anyone else have to do that?

Old 07-30-2013, 05:10 AM
JK Super Freak

That's the way they go. My guess is bestop took this route to save money. The loops are offset and rather than making two different door latches, they just use the same ones (flip for the rear) and call it a day. In my opinion, I don't like how bestop, or even rugged ridge made the handles offset like this (as opposed to factory or strike force zebra) but its just something I'll deal with..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3887761716.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	483256  

Quick Reply: Need info from those running Bestop soft doors