Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Need Some Advice.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Some Advice.

Hey guys,

I love this forum and need a little advice.

I will be buying a Unlimited 4x4 soon and I am in talks with a dealership in ATL and just want some advice from you guys who have more knowledge than myself. This will be my first Jeep and I am stoked. I test drove one and was hooked, now its just about getting a great deal. Here is what is being offered, we really want the 6 speed and there are not too many out there.

A Jeep Green X, 4x4, Manual, S Package, Power Group, Upgraded Sound System with 6 disc changer, Soft Top, 17" Wheels, 255/75/17's, Heavy Duty Suspension, 3.21 Axle, will throw in hitch for free. List-$26,605, will sell for $25,545.

A Steel Blue Sahara, 4x4, Manual, 3.73 Axle, Soft Top. Will throw in hitch for free. List-$28,200 will sell for $26,404

My wife and I will purchase this Jeep then move to AZ for my new job. We will be pulling a trailer with some boxes, mattress, couch etc... not too big, will the axle ratio make that big of a difference? From looking at the 2 Jeeps they are very close to one another, the major difference I see is the seat fabric, wheel size, axle ratio. Is that worth $1000? What are more differences between these Jeeps that I'm missing?

I am new to this, if you could give me some advice I would love it.

Thanks,
Chris Holohan
holohan.blogspot.com
Old 11-20-2007, 10:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're towing all that, I'd say get the 3.73. Personally, a 4.10 would be better, but between the two, I'd go with the Sahara. Both are the coolest two colors available. I am obviously partial to the steel blue.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

what dealer in ATL are you buying from?
Old 11-20-2007, 10:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have been emailing dealers all over and Ed Voyles in Marietta has given me great service. I am living in South Africa and will be returning on Jan 1st and need to have something worked out ahead of time and they have been fantastic, doing research, staying in touch with me, trying to get what I want, helping me when they can't find what I would build. I have been impressed.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:03 PM
JK Freak

the other main extras with the sahara are the painted fender flares and, unless they changed something from last year, the premium stereo. i was in a similar position early this year just before i ordered. i decided the sahara wasn't worth it for me. plus, i really really don't like the painted fender flares.

for what you're talking about towing, you'll be fine with the "X". but if you like the extra options in the sahara, then go for it by all means.
Old 11-21-2007, 05:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

SAHARA!!!!!!!!! You will be mad you did'nt.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:20 AM
JK Freak

equipped with 4.10 gears, all 3 models have the same tow rating of about 3500lbs. with 3.21 gears, it's 1000 pounds. i'd imagine the 3.73 is somewhere in the middle.

as far as "just getting" the sahara..........that's a personal preference. for me, it wasn't even an option as the sahara's only options that completely distinguish it from the X are the seat fabric and the painted fender flares. i find the painted fender flares to be a rather unattractive liability. and seat covers were invented for a reason. but if you're attracted to either of those options, i'd suggest you get the sahara.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

There are alot of other options on the Sahara that are standard which you pay for on the X. The Infinity is standard. The cluster is different (color). 18's standard (so you look decent and don't immediately go buy new tires( $1000)). The Sahara was out on the trail a week after I got it. It handled medium trails with ease. For the small price difference between the two you looked at, I would go with the Sahara. It's more appealing to the eye (especially if its more a commuter than a trail blazer).
Old 11-21-2007, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. I am still shopping around, but can't wait to get my JK.

I just wish the X for grand less had the 3.73 or 4.10 for the trip out west. That may help me make my choice.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:09 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SBlair
There are alot of other options on the Sahara that are standard which you pay for on the X. The Infinity is standard. The cluster is different (color). 18's standard (so you look decent and don't immediately go buy new tires( $1000)). The Sahara was out on the trail a week after I got it. It handled medium trails with ease. For the small price difference between the two you looked at, I would go with the Sahara. It's more appealing to the eye (especially if its more a commuter than a trail blazer).
the problem is, most of what you're saying is opinion based. line by line: personally, i believe the infinity sound blows and wouldn't be caught wasting a dime on it. some find it to be sufficient. the cluster on a sahara is no different than the cluster on an X with the "S" package. i don't want 18"s on my jeep; i want 17"s. and i don't want the jeep 17"s, at the moment i want AEV pintlers. concerning looking "decent", i find the sahara's painted fender flares to be butt ugly. a stock sahara isn't going to run any trails that an X won't.

the fact of the matter is that they're equally capable. the infinity sound is a ~$300 option. that same money can be spent on aftermarket speakers to give superior sound. wheels and tires are individual preference.

what it really comes down to is personal preference in seat fabric, painted flares and a couple of stickers. and then there's the price tag; these should be the primary considerations when trying to decide on which to buy imo, as they're the only true differences. fitted JK seat covers can be had for a good price, so i believe the hinge, if any, is really just the painted flares. and regarding those, aside from being unsightly imo, they're a liability in that they're extra sensitive to taking visible, aesthetic damage compared to the black textured flares.

of course, most of this only applies to an "ideal" build, ie, an order. if the concern is gear ratio of two models that are already sitting on the lot, then that's all that really matters in the end

Last edited by superboo; 11-21-2007 at 04:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Need Some Advice.