Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Need some guidence from grease monkeys please..

Old 11-28-2007, 08:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some guidence from grease monkeys please..

So 3 months ago back in August my JK was rear ended on the highway resulting in some pretty extensive damage. Frame was replaced, front differential replaced, drive shaft replaced, exhaust replaced along with plenty of body work. Well I finally got it back on 11/21, day before Thanksgiving. Once I started driving it around I noticed it was wandering to the right. Felt like the rear end was trying to steer the vehicle. Got home and looked at it and noticed it sitting lower on the right than the left. So I got my measuring tape out and sure enough it is almost 3/4 of an inch lower on the right than the left. Also noticed the the left rear tire sat just inside the wheel well and the right sitting just outside the wheel well. It almost looked like the right rear tire was at an angle as well but I could not be sure of this.

So my problem here is pretty complicated and I won't get into detail about it, but I have had serious issues with the insurance company and mechanics (dealership) getting this thing fixed right. They are about 18k into it and still going. My question to anyone who might be able to answer is, if the frame was replaced, what could be the cause of the problems I explained with the rear end. Also, the 4 wheel drive is not functioning properly. When I put it in 4wd it seems to be OK till I turn the wheel. The Jeep immediately begins to slow like there is some serious resistance, the steering wheel begins jerking back and fourth and the whole thing comes to a stop. Only once I take it out of 4wd does it drive "normally" again.

If anyone could offer me some insight on what the issues might be, I would appreciate it. I had a falling out with trust issues with the shop so I am looking for other opinions.

Tanks in adance to everyone!
Old 11-28-2007, 08:40 AM
JK Super Freak

If you have a full gas tank, the Jepe will sit a little lower on the rear passenger side.

Are you engaging 4wd on a slippery surface, like an unpaved surface?

Did the garage do a proper alignment?

js.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:51 AM
JK Newbie

Just curious. You said you were rear ended yet they replaced the front differential. Did you impact something with the front also? Sounds like they still have alot to address. If it damaged a driveshaft bad enough to requiring replaceing then the shaft could have jarred something in the transfer case causing problems. The rear being higher on one side could be a number of issues. I would check to see if there are bent/moved suspension parts. I had the entire body on a truck one time shifted on the suspension by being snatched on by two trucks tryng to free it from the mud hole. Another thing to watch is premature axle bearing failure. This can indicate a slight bend in the axle housing. Had this happen also one time. Slight bends are hard to determine but will cause the bearings to fail prematurely. Sounds like you took a hell of a hit. I don't know your situation with the insurance/service guys but I sure would not accept the current condition the truck is in. Sounds like the insurance company wishes they would have totaled it out since there is more needed to be done. Stand firm and don't take their B.S.!
Old 11-28-2007, 08:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jsmoriss
If you have a full gas tank, the Jepe will sit a little lower on the rear passenger side.

Are you engaging 4wd on a slippery surface, like an unpaved surface?

Did the garage do a proper alignment?

js.
Good questions. The gas tank was actually empty (the light was on) and when I put it in 4wd it was on dry pavement first then I tried a loose road and experienced the same problem.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gonzo
Just curious. You said you were rear ended yet they replaced the front differential. Did you impact something with the front also? Sounds like they still have alot to address. If it damaged a driveshaft bad enough to requiring replaceing then the shaft could have jarred something in the transfer case causing problems. The rear being higher on one side could be a number of issues. I would check to see if there are bent/moved suspension parts. I had the entire body on a truck one time shifted on the suspension by being snatched on by two trucks tryng to free it from the mud hole. Another thing to watch is premature axle bearing failure. This can indicate a slight bend in the axle housing. Had this happen also one time. Slight bends are hard to determine but will cause the bearings to fail prematurely. Sounds like you took a hell of a hit. I don't know your situation with the insurance/service guys but I sure would not accept the current condition the truck is in. Sounds like the insurance company wishes they would have totaled it out since there is more needed to be done. Stand firm and don't take their B.S.!
My girlfriend was actually driving it at the time it was wrecked, but from what she explained to me was that when she was hit, it threw her forward and to the left. She impacted the retaining wall on the highway on the left side of the vehicle. It looked like the front hit first then the rear. Both wheels and fenders on the left side hit the wall.
Old 11-28-2007, 11:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jeeperson
When I put it in 4wd it seems to be OK till I turn the wheel. The Jeep immediately begins to slow like there is some serious resistance, the steering wheel begins jerking back and fourth and the whole thing comes to a stop. Only once I take it out of 4wd does it drive "normally" again.
To clarify an earlier post, are you testing the 4 wheel drive on pavement? It will hop and feel like it gets hung up when you turn if it's on pavement. Try it on dirt. It allows the tires to slip.

Sorry about the accident, hope the girlfriend is OK. 18K is as close to a "total" as it gets especially if there still is a problem with the vehicle. I would contact the insurance company about the problems and let them deal with the repair center.
Old 11-28-2007, 01:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

$18K? Wow, I'd be pissed! You shoulda' got a new one....friggin' insurance companies!!
Old 11-28-2007, 01:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea as far as I thought I knew.. if the damage exceeded 60% of the vehicles worth, it would be totaled....

that jeep should be in the scrapyard... just trade it in on a Rubi
Old 11-28-2007, 03:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Traded my pickup in when the bill reached 8,000, and was due for a new rear end... They strectched my frame though, congrats on getting them to replace yours.

Is your jeep on level ground? I swear, my truck's rear end looked tweaked after 5 times going back to the mechanic/frame shop.... That's why I gave up.

Whatever the case, it's probably best you trade that bugger in and start from scratch. I'd be nervous with the work if the rear end is as off balance as you say it is, and knowing that the same guy who did the work took the ENTIRE jeep apart, engine and all and put it back together.... If you're claim isn't completed, the accident wont appear on the VIN.... That's what my insurance company told me after they closed my file....
Old 11-28-2007, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

keep fighting it. Yes the damages normal have to equal 70-75% 0f the total value before they will consider it totalled. BUT if you at 18K already and there is more wrong (say rear axle, diffs, yaddy yaddy ya) they have to add the money for those parts and labor onto that original 18k. If the shop caused the problem then its between you and the shop.

Whatever you do, dont quit fighting. When my last car was wrecked i fought for months after it was fixed to get my $530 for them scratching my carbonfiber hood all up and i finally got it

Quick Reply: Need some guidence from grease monkeys please..