Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

In need of some help

Old 08-08-2013, 07:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In need of some help

So this week I have changed out my wheels and tires, but now have a violent shake when I go over large bumps.
To the point where I have to come to a complete stop and then drive off again.
I had 35" mud grapplers on previous and never once had an issue like this. They balanced out great with very little
weights on the wheels. I now have 37" km2 and now this shake appears. I talked to the guys who mounted and balanced
them and they told me they had balanced out. I look at the new wheels and half of the inside rim is covered with weights.
I have get to let some tire pressure out, they said they set it at 38 psi. Again not sure if it would cause this to happen.
I would like to see what you guys think I should do next. I know my stabilizer is shot, I have a replacement sitting next to
me as I write this.

A little about the suspension to help you out

4" procomp lift
RK sway bars
and the blown stabilizer

running 37 12.50 17 km2
had 35 12.50 20 mg
Old 08-08-2013, 07:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Maybe check the balance out again? Some guys just wanna cover there ass
Old 08-08-2013, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

My thought as well. When I talked with him he told me off balanced tires would not cause that. I'm not sure why he thinks that but whatever. I'll call their office in the morning
Old 08-08-2013, 08:00 PM
JK Freak

I have 35" Km2s and I have the same problem. If you have checked out all your suspension parts for wear and torqued everything to spec, I would say it's the tires. I run my tires at 28psi. 38psi is too high. I have talked to others that had the same problem with km2s. Just waiting to wear mine out so I can get some 37" Nittos.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Damn it, I read so many good reviews about them too. Does your jeep have the same crazy shake?
Old 08-08-2013, 08:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by chevynolonger
Damn it, I read so many good reviews about them too. Does your jeep have the same crazy shake?
A lot of people have good luck with them. There may be a problem with the tire. Seems like a lot of weights to put on s rim. I'm no expert. Just going from personal experience. I would have them rebalance just to make sure. And yeah, i get a shimmy when i am going 40-50 mph and hit a bump. I am going to swap out my trackbar bolts this weekend and see if that helps.

Last edited by ZombJep; 08-08-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 09:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mentioned new tires and wheels... My friend got some badly manufactured wheels. One came off while driving. He managed to not crash and had everything fixed at the wheel manufacturer's expense. In his case, the lug holes were not milled correctly.

The simple point being, check your rims too. Make sure they are mating nicely to the hub.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

I checked those before they went on. I went with fuel again, had great luck the last time.
Thank you all for the help, I will be going to get them rebalanced in the morning. Start with
The easiest thing first.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:32 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by chevynolonger
So this week I have changed out my wheels and tires, but now have a violent shake when I go over large bumps. To the point where I have to come to a complete stop and then drive off again. ...
The description really sounds like death wobble, though it is unusual for it to occur just because you replaced your tires. Regardless, suggest that you pull your front trackbar and see if the bracket holes are worn out (should not be oval shaped--measure with a caliper). Check the bolts for evidence of damage. Check the fit of the bolts you removed in the holes. If worn/not a tight fit, repair by welding 1/2" washers* in place. After checking/repairing, reinstall the trackbar, but replace the two metric Jeep OEM bolts and nuts with 9/16" hardware (be sure it's grade 8). These are slightly larger and will help eliminate the slop that causes DW. With the Jeep weight on the ground, torque the trackbar bolts to 125 pounds.

*Find 1/2" washers that fit exactly on the 9/16" bolts mentioned later. Don't use 9/16" washers because they have too much slop. You'll have to actually try the washers on the bolts, but should find some that are a tight fit without too much trouble.

Search the forum for death wobble for more details. Do be aware that if this is death wobble, every occurrence of it is damaging your Jeep more and more--wearing out the trackbar bushings, and bracket holes and bolts. That's why people find it so frustrating to fix. You may be able to stop it, temporarily, by over-torquing the trackbar bolts. In your case, you may be able to rotate your tires and stop it. But, you haven't repaired the underlying problem, which is that your trackbar is too loose of a fit into its mounting hardware. Until that is repaired properly, you will continue to suffer DW on occasion.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 08-09-2013 at 02:38 AM.

Quick Reply: In need of some help