Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

New with fewer options or used with more?

Old 04-13-2014, 12:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New with fewer options or used with more?

I need help! I currently drive a 2008 X and I'm coming up on 75k miles. I drive over 20k miles per year and wanted to get into a newer Wrangler if possible. I have the usual reasons....temptation, new options, temptation, hardtop, high miles on current vehicle, temptation...

I have three things on my must have list:
Hardtop
Air conditioning
3.73 gearing

I have found a JK with these exact options, but then I start thinking of my "wants" list like 17" wheels, Bluetooth, power locks and windows, and I start thinking that these things would be really nice to have. At least I could make do with aftermarket solutions to the wheels and Bluetooth.

So, conundrum. My potential budget only allows me to consider vehicles priced $26,000 and below (unless someone knows a way to get a crazy discount). Local dealers are dealing down to their "invoice" price (is it REALLY the invoice price?) and offering low on trade-in, so I'm looking at payments beyond my current means.

What would you suggest? My current vehicle is solid and reliable, but the comfort factor of the newer ones is really different (my current JK is my only vehicle and obvious daily driver).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2
Old 04-13-2014, 12:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

75k really isn't very high milage. If you're putting 20k miles a year on it, I don't know that I'd want a new vehicle.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't forget 3.6 engine, biggest influence for me.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MoyDib
Don't forget 3.6 engine, biggest influence for me.
If I was shopping right now, I'd be looking at a genitally used 12/13 JK for the 3.6l. I'm not normally a fan of buying new... but did when I bought mine in 2012 because I wanted the new 3.6l and 5spd auto.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:26 PM
JK Super Freak

The 3.6l brought me back the the Wrangler after a few years since I sold my 2006 Rubi LJ. Big difference.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I test drove a 2011 Rubi, I pretty much convinced myself to not buy a wrangler. Then the dealer offered up the 2012 to drive. That sold me. I recall telling the dealer he almost killed it for me with the test drive of the 2011.

Last edited by Jeepstin12; 04-13-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 3.6 is a huge selling point for me, too.

Hmmm...

Old 04-14-2014, 04:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wash and wax your Jeep, vacuum the interior and shine up the dash. Clean it like it's for sale and you wont want to sell it.

Go read your post again. You have a rock solid Jeep and getting into what you want takes you out of your budget. Pretty clear on what you should do.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BillyJack
Wash and wax your Jeep, vacuum the interior and shine up the dash. Clean it like it's for sale and you wont want to sell it.
Great advice! Every time I get my Jeep cleaned and prepped I remember why I love it.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wandrur
I need help! I currently drive a 2008 X and I'm coming up on 75k miles. I drive over 20k miles per year and wanted to get into a newer Wrangler if possible. I have the usual reasons....temptation, new options, temptation, hardtop, high miles on current vehicle, temptation...

I have three things on my must have list:
Hardtop
Air conditioning
3.73 gearing

I have found a JK with these exact options, but then I start thinking of my "wants" list like 17" wheels, Bluetooth, power locks and windows, and I start thinking that these things would be really nice to have. At least I could make do with aftermarket solutions to the wheels and Bluetooth.

So, conundrum. My potential budget only allows me to consider vehicles priced $26,000 and below (unless someone knows a way to get a crazy discount). Local dealers are dealing down to their "invoice" price (is it REALLY the invoice price?) and offering low on trade-in, so I'm looking at payments beyond my current means.

What would you suggest? My current vehicle is solid and reliable, but the comfort factor of the newer ones is really different (my current JK is my only vehicle and obvious daily driver).

I have exactly what you described in a 2-door Wrangler Sport S, and I bought it brand new for right around $24,500. MSRP was close to $29k.

The key is to buy one when dealers are getting ready to blow all of the 2014's out this summer and towards the end of the year. Rebates + dealer cash start to add up quickly.

I should add that 75k miles isn't "high mileage" necessarily. My advice would be to see if you could put another 45k on it.

Temptation is hard to overcome, however. Figure out what your transaction cost would ultimately be, and come up with a long list of things that you could also buy/do with that money if you kept your current Jeep, and see what wins

Quick Reply: New with fewer options or used with more?