Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

New Jeep Owner (Finally) Looking for Friendly Advice

Old 03-23-2017, 05:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Congratulations

Excellent purchase. Love 2 Doors.

Now, Sell it fast, before you go broke. lol
Old 03-23-2017, 05:54 PM
JK Newbie

Welcome to Jeep ownership; you're going to love it...
Old 03-23-2017, 05:54 PM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tramp
don't look at any catalogs
^^ This.....

....and avoid any "Show and Tell" threads, "Your Jeep and 35s" threads, "Your Jeep and 37s" threads, "Pics of your 2 inch, 2.5 inch, 3.5 inch lift" threads. Pretty much avoid the whole "modified" section of any Jeep forum. When you see a modded JK on the road, be sure to turn your head in the opposite direction as fast as possible. Do this for at least the first 2 years of ownership.

I'm sure there's more I'm missing.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ1
^^ This.....

....and avoid any "Show and Tell" threads, "Your Jeep and 35s" threads, "Your Jeep and 37s" threads, "Pics of your 2 inch, 2.5 inch, 3.5 inch lift" threads. Pretty much avoid the whole "modified" section of any Jeep forum. When you see a modded JK on the road, be sure to turn your head in the opposite direction as fast as possible. Do this for at least the first 2 years of ownership.

I'm sure there's more I'm missing.

Yeah but your always going to have the "Jeep Magnet" effect. Where you park your Jeep somewhere and another one Magically appears next to yours.

It happens to me all the time... I think they want to check out the Jeep and compare mods. Thats why I do it.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:23 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks all. Great advice. I'm just getting started but I can say this is the most fun I've had driving, even on pavement and around town. Can't wait for the warm weather and really taking in the experience.
Old 03-25-2017, 04:16 AM
JK Newbie

Angry GOING to buy my first JKURHR Today! Pretty excited...but such a novice!!!

Congrats on your Jeep!!

Im in the same boat, just different model....I have an H2 for fun as well...but after a lot of searching and struggling Im getting a '16 JKURHR that has what I want on it, and want to add a few things! I will watch your posts to see what gets advised to you other than basic handles etc...Im building my own top remover (that should be interesting)

But if Im to stay away from catalogs where would I go? Suggestions for minor aestetic adds to start?

Wil post picks late today!
Old 03-25-2017, 10:31 AM
JK Newbie

This is my 5th jeep. I have done everything and nothing to my jeeps. For a first time owner get to know the vehicle and it's traits. Enjoy it for a year and I think you will be surprised at how great a stock jeep really is. There are small inexpensive options that you can do to give it your own personal touch before you tackle larger projects. About the only mod I recommend off the bat is led headlights due to the fact the stock lights are no better than a 40 watt bulb. Congrats on the purchase and enjoy the spring weather with the top off!
Old 03-25-2017, 11:41 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
Yeah but your always going to have the "Jeep Magnet" effect. Where you park your Jeep somewhere and another one Magically appears next to yours.

It happens to me all the time... I think they want to check out the Jeep and compare mods. Thats why I do it.

True! lol

Old 03-25-2017, 03:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Like everyone said, leave it stock and enjoy it.

First thing to do after having it for a little while is to take the tops and doors off and enjoy the freedom, it's the best!!

Second - a piece of advice, if/when you join a club don't give in to the 'gotta build it' peer pressure someone or a few someone's will exert.

Third - Congratulations on getting your first Jeep, it may have taken longer than you wanted but you have it!
Old 03-26-2017, 03:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cedarraider
Find a jeep club and tag along and join if it fits what you are looking for. Even talking to fellow jeepers you see in a parking lot about groups that might be local.
Originally Posted by bpluzier
Agree with the Jeep club idea. There are a lot of Jeepers out there who would love to go wheeling with you.

Be careful with this idea. You'll find yourself wanting to mod a LOT sooner than expected once you see what the locals are running on their rig. I made this mistake and 3 years later I've sunk north of $20K in parts.

Quick Reply: New Jeep Owner (Finally) Looking for Friendly Advice