Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

new Jeeper, brand new Jeep... When to mod tho??

Old 01-21-2013, 12:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new Jeeper, brand new Jeep... When to mod tho??

Heyy guys brand new Jeeper here to add to the family :-). So I got a '12 black 4 door that I plan to make a weekend warrior. I bought my Jeep Oct. of 2012 and I got a 5 year warranty to go along with it. My question is: when would it be safe to start modding? After my warranty is up? Before my warranty is up? But then won't my mods nullify any warranty on the parts they touch (thereby wasting the extra moolah for the extended warranty). Opinions? Facts?
Old 01-21-2013, 04:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

First off welcome!! Smart choice on the Jeep! I actually asked very similar question when i first got my Jeep about 14 months ago hahaha. A lot depends on what your looking to do to your rig. By weekend warrior i'm assuming light mods as this will be your daily driver as well? If you have the warrenty will you also be taking it to dealer for oil changes and servicing? In that case also depends on your relationship with dealer. When i talked with my dealer they say there fine with it but wont cover repairs if the mod caused the issue. I got a small lift, swapped tires and rims *same size though only mts, changed shocks and put on different bumper. When i showed up they all laughed and said it looked great. There's a lot of things you can do that wont really effect warrenty provided you arent making drastic changed, ie changing alternator/battery to have tons of lights, getting nice fat tires and putting on spacers so they dont rub, my dealer said they wont cover that because can cause extra stress to axle.

So figure out were you want to go with your mods and talk to service guys. There's always at least one guy there that has a jeep and wheels so they understand hahaha. Hope it all goes well and next post show pics!
Old 01-21-2013, 05:50 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who is your extended warranty written by? If it's not through the dealer it may not matter how great of a relationship you have with them after the factory warranty is gone.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:22 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the "factory extended lifetime warranty" on mine and ur relationship with ANY dealer matters because they can "dink" u back read this thread I created on wayalife forum

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3...-Chrysler-Jeep

Eddie aka wayalife also had a similar situation where he lost his warranty, but fought to get it back.... I got lucky and wasn't dinked back by the dealer.

Now I gotta drive an hour and a half for dealer work (luckily I do my own work mostly) but the dealer u bought ur jeep with should take care of u just fine (Hense why I drive so far... That's where I bought mine) that dealer "ignores" a modification if it may have caused the problem and they get warranty to pay for it.... The dealer in bought my jeep at takes GREAT care of me. Like mentioned above, go talk to the salesman who sold it to ya or the service manager in the shop. They can answer your questions better than anybody on here can for ya.... And LET THE MODS BEGIN!!!
Old 01-21-2013, 02:14 PM
JK Junkie

Welcome to the forum.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:35 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default warrenty jeeps have a warrenty ??

its normal they all do that! even if its brought in on a flat bed but seriously I have lifetime as well but, to drive your jeep totally stock for the life of the jeep is totally impossible I think isn't it ??? well isn't it? soon as you do your first oil change to get away from the cheap ass oilfilter you've voided it I believe, according to not using mopar
I have no intentions of lifting though or dong anything besides where im at now and adding bumpers as I just orderd, other than that tires and stuff arnt realy modifiying it if you stay within reason. go 35s and up they will flag you id imagine

Last edited by jeepmojo; 01-21-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:53 PM
JK Newbie

I see. I have my extended warranty with my dealership that is about an hour and a half away as well. My plans for mods would be quite similar in fact... New 17" or 18" wheels with 33" MT tires, with the highest lift being 2.5-3", a new suspension, and new exhaust. I think those mods would be my foundation on which to build on haha.and for later on.... Well I'm sure we ALL have a never ending list, and for most that list started way before they even purchased the Jeep.... guilty ;-). So I gather that I should focus on building a repoire with the dealership that I bought it from (not the dealership closest to me? ) and avoid using other shops and work on my jeep myself if possible? I really appreciate all the advice guys, everything helps :-)
Old 01-21-2013, 05:57 PM
JK Newbie

And thanks yall for the warm welcome. Haha I swear I thought there was something wrong with my jeep the first 2 weeks cause everyone kept waving at me lol now I've got the "jeep wave" down ;-) not used to such a friendly community
Old 01-21-2013, 06:09 PM
JK Junkie

My dealership told me plain and simple my warranty covered everything unless it was broken due to one of my mods. You will be good to go. Welcome to the forum
Old 01-22-2013, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DANIMAL_24
And thanks yall for the warm welcome. Haha I swear I thought there was something wrong with my jeep the first 2 weeks cause everyone kept waving at me lol now I've got the "jeep wave" down ;-) not used to such a friendly community
HAHAHAHAHAHA thats too funny!! First week i had my jeep i would wave like a maniac!! Probably looked like the wave a 8 year old does to Santa when he see's him at the mall. After the first week i learned the subtle wave or couple fingers raised from the wheel lol

Quick Reply: new Jeeper, brand new Jeep... When to mod tho??