Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

New to JKs. Couple questions

Old 03-28-2013, 07:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to JKs. Couple questions

I do not currently own one. But am looking to purchase in the near future. Just know I want a four door.

Couple questions:
1. I am looking to use it as a work truck but it will need to have a ladder rack. Do they sell something for this? (I have searched a little)
2. Is there a thread on the difference in each model? For when I begin to look at purchasing one.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:45 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I don't know about a ladder rack but the jeep.com website will tell you the differences in models and available options. You could also go by a dealer and pick up a brochure.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:38 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by WickedClownz
I do not currently own one. But am looking to purchase in the near future. Just know I want a four door.

Couple questions:
1. I am looking to use it as a work truck but it will need to have a ladder rack. Do they sell something for this? (I have searched a little)
2. Is there a thread on the difference in each model? For when I begin to look at purchasing one.
Check out GOBI racks.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

This one by Olympic seems better to me than the Gobi. Don't have to remove your bumper for install, and less likely to get hit by nearby objects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IPzNK7QmqU
Old 03-28-2013, 02:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rednroll
This one by Olympic seems better to me than the Gobi. Don't have to remove your bumper for install, and less likely to get hit by nearby objects.
The advantage with the Gobi is it has a ladder, so there's no need to stand on the fender. But it's pricey.

For models, think of it this way:
Sport - entry level
Sahara - a step up, with color matched fenders and available color-matched hard top
Rubicon - locking diffs and electronic disconnect swaybar, 4.10 ratio and lower ration transfer case.

The other models are mostly appearence kits. If you wanted to wheel, all of them are more capable than anything on the road today. The advantages of each have been debated at length around here for years. (Some say a Sahara can't wheel, but I've kept up with Rubicons with no problem at all.)
Old 03-28-2013, 02:06 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

2007 sahara
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0985.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	439616
Old 03-28-2013, 07:47 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by notenuftoys

The advantage with the Gobi is it has a ladder, so there's no need to stand on the fender. But it's pricey.

For models, think of it this way:
Sport - entry level
Sahara - a step up, with color matched fenders and available color-matched hard top
Rubicon - locking diffs and electronic disconnect swaybar, 4.10 ratio and lower ration transfer case.

The other models are mostly appearence kits. If you wanted to wheel, all of them are more capable than anything on the road today. The advantages of each have been debated at length around here for years. (Some say a Sahara can't wheel, but I've kept up with Rubicons with no problem at all.)
Thanks. Thats what I was looking for with the model descriptions. So I giess I will be looking between the sport models and sahara then. All I really need is hard top and I dont mind the black fenders if I get it in white. Will probably just upgrade speakers if I get the sport.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:19 PM
JK Junkie

Thumbs up

I can answer a your questions a bit.

1) Gobi has an great rack with tons of "modifications" and extras. It does have an optional ladder, different top area configurations, but is kinda pricey.

2) Basic differences are:

AC is standard on the Unlimited 4-door, if you get a 2-door, it's an option. Be sure and get it, it's cheap as an option but costs an arm and a leg if you want to get it Jeep is "built"

Sport: Base model, can get any options you want basically (hard top, sound system, color matched fenders if wanted)
Sahara: Comforts are standard, Power Windows and Door locks, Color matched fenders standard, Better Sound System is stock (very nice)
Rubicon: as stated in earlier post

If you check out the Jeep.com and Build a Jeep, you can look at the different prices of options and decide if you want them now or if you can get them aftermarket cheaper.

If you plan on getting your own wheels and tires immediately, then don't pay for the upgraded tires and wheels, stick with 16" steels. If you plan on aftermarket fenders, don't get color matched ones. I would suggest getting 3.73 gears and NOT 3.21 gears though.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:12 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by WickedClownz

Couple questions:
Welcome to the forum.

Quick Reply: New to JKs. Couple questions