Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

New JKU Rust?

Old 03-24-2015, 01:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
were getting chinese steel that has rust in the steel before they paint it even . My old 1995 ford f 150 looked better underneath like 18 years later i sold it for $1,500 cash . Nothing was wrong with it either i had replaced everything that might have gone bad 6 inch lift and new 35s that i had just payed 1200 in tires . and some new front end parts and 120k orig easy miles I thought a new jeep will last forever for me if the old truck did . hmmm not so sure the jeep could last 18 years with out rotting out ? or motor going ? oh well, things we learn . That truck had balls too ! i miss the *8foot bed to carry shit in too . I do love the jeep but the quality control isnt that great on them it appears.
That was a beauty! Loved those mid-90's beefy fords
Old 03-24-2015, 01:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's surface rust. Don't worry about it.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Good thread, I have some rust too on my 12 JKU and it gets to me. Nice to know I am not the only one. GUess it doesnt help being lifted and having stubby bumper so my front end is all exposed when driving lol But I love the jeep!
Old 03-29-2015, 04:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Let's all hope that 10 years from now that these JK rust threads are still about surface rust and not like the rust threads in the TJ and YJ threads. I'll take surface rust over frame and tub rot any day.
Old 03-29-2015, 05:09 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Think of it as a protective coating. Dana Spicer says it is designed to protect against deeper rust.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jadmt
Think of it as a protective coating. Dana Spicer says it is designed to protect against deeper rust.
Oh really? Hahahaha
Old 03-31-2015, 07:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Beemerman
Yes my 14 was this way new on the lot. I did a chassis paint to mine. Cleaned as much as I could with wire wheel first. Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Damn, your underside looks better then mine on top lol
What kinda paint did you use and how is it holding up?
Old 04-01-2015, 06:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Another vote for "normal"

Unbelievable how quickly the undersides of these things corrode. Even the painted surfaces, axles, etc. Heavy oxidization, and surface rust forming.

I think everything in modern cars is built for a service life of no longer than about 10 years anymore...
Old 04-01-2015, 02:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default One NewEngland winter

Originally Posted by jk_sea
Another vote for "normal"

Unbelievable how quickly the undersides of these things corrode. Even the painted surfaces, axles, etc. Heavy oxidization, and surface rust forming.

I think everything in modern cars is built for a service life of no longer than about 10 years anymore...

It looks like they never put anything on there from factory nor will any paint stay on there for any length of time . A constant battle here in the North East . Seems Ca. or Down South they dont rust up as quick . ( i see the underside of jeeps in calif . pics, and think , I wish mine was able to stay new looking like that . but whats worse is this >

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/...-beetle-clone/

Some day we might be glad we bought what we did when we did! These cars will be lucky to last a year or two

Last edited by jeepmojo; 04-01-2015 at 02:38 PM.

Quick Reply: New JKU Rust?