Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

new wrangler model 2017?

Old 07-14-2014, 12:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SiliconTi
Is this what you meant? Looks like Jeepers are probably finally in for a change. Maybe someone will make kit cars like for the Shelby Cobra.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/next-je...uined-we-hope/

Last edited by notnalc68; 07-14-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My only hope is a bigger engine. Diesel, Hemi, whatever, as soon as they announce that, I'll be on my way to the dealer to trade mine in for one.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think softening it is a mistake - they have other vehicles in their lineup for that crowd.

Jeep can not make enough JKs as it is, why screw with a proven formula? They are not that stupid (I hope).
Old 07-16-2014, 12:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Talking about 2015, what are the changes for the coming model year?
Old 07-16-2014, 02:54 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by PBone
My only hope is a bigger engine. Diesel, Hemi, whatever, as soon as they announce that, I'll be on my way to the dealer to trade mine in for one.
(badass anouncer voice)

hellcat hemi 6.4 liter engine 707 hp, coming soon to a conversion kit near you cupcake!
Old 07-16-2014, 02:07 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Here's an interesting and relevant read. Looks like the CEO is trying to softpedal some of the changes being rumored in the press ...

Jeep CEO Wants 2018 Wrangler to Lose Weight; Expects Land Rover Rival - Carscoops
Old 07-16-2014, 02:37 PM
JK Freak

If we believe half of that, it seams as if Jeep is only going to make changes based on soccer moms! They don't care about the off road owners. The factory air sounds nice I'd take that...
Old 07-16-2014, 03:21 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by trouty33
If we believe half of that, it seams as if Jeep is only going to make changes based on soccer moms! ...
I suspect you are not referring to the link I posted immediately above yours.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:47 AM
JK Newbie

In two years when I go to order my Jeep I want check the box for a Rubicon, 3.0 Diesel, and Manual! I will be very sad if I cannot check these three boxes.

I think the major changes to expect for "losing weight" will be aluminum hood, tail gate, and doors. they would be easy, and cost effictive to do. I hope aluminum doors, they are way too heavy for what they are now. feels the same weight as my dads 1970 cuda doors.

Also a safe bet that the ZF 8HP will be in the wrangler, I expect to see a choice between the new 3.2 pentastar and 3.0 diesel (I refuse to us the purely marketing term "eco-diesel")

Some small changes that I think should be added:

TFT display - would be nice to have for temps, locker indicators, roll angle, like a trail dash but built in.

Move Revers to all the way left and up - this drives me nuts, trying to go from the top of third to 5th, the lock out is too soft and easy to push right through.

Factory AUX fuse box with AUX switches - just be nice to have at least two switches you can plug what ever you want into, everone puts atleast lights and a winch. I would rather see this then factory air.

Good artical to put you guys scared of change at ease

Chrysler boss pleased by Wrangler, may add jobs - Toledo Blade

from this paragraph, I think its safe to say that the next wrangler will be just fine

But don’t dare call it a redesign. That implies blowing up an iconic design, and Mr. Marchionne gave assurances on Monday that he isn’t about to do that. He prefers to say the company will “substantially upgrade” Wrangler. “If we take away any of the capability of the Wrangler, I think we’ll kill that product,” he said.

Nervous Jeep fans should know that Mr. Marchionne himself drives a Wrangler, and longtime Jeep officials have said he understands the brand better than any of his recent predecessors.

Last edited by Malarkey21; 07-17-2014 at 05:59 AM.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

My thoughts:

Unless Chrysler/Fiat has just discovered some miracle sci-fi alloy, "loosing weight" can only mean a smaller and/or lighter duty vehicle. Since the JKU sells so well I doubt they'd ditch that formula. I also doubt the new Wrangler would be much smaller for that reason, so that means we'll ultimately get a weaker truck that isn't able to take a beating like a JK can and relies on "Jeep name panache" to sell. Sure aluminum can help loose weight somewhat, but it can only do so much and is also weaker than steel.

As it stands today, a JKr/JKUR is every bit as worthy and capable as the greatest (small to midsize) 4X4s of all time. It's on the same level as the Land Rover Defender, Mercedes G-Wagon (the utility/military version!) and Toyota Landcruiser 70 series... but all those vehicles are going to disappear later this decade too. It's also no coincidence these vehicles all share the same basic architecture... that's simply the best way to make an off-roader.

If Jeep abandons that formula, they will ONLY produce an equivalent vehicle if it's built on a very special platform reminiscent to the M-151 MUTT or Humvee. Anything less would be a Jeep in appearances ONLY... and "signature 7-slot grills", logos and lifestyle accessories haven't got anything on real hardcore, no compromise performance.

Unfortunately, truly hardcore milspec independent suspensions don't come cheap, so the Wrangler would have to become a low volume, high price rich boy's toy for that to even happen.

I REALLY hope the Wrangler doesn't abandon heavy ladder frames and solid axles; if they do (and I kinda think they will ), I will have already bought my last jeep. Even if the Wrangler only got IFS, that would instantly kick it off the top of the 4x4 hierarchy and into a moshpit of other similar vehicles (several even made by Jeep, of course!), of which many are frankly better at being mostly on-road rides for occasional weekend warriors than anything Jeep could put on the market with the "Wrangler" name on it.

It's the Wrangler's anachronistic design and quirks that makes it so special (and therefore profitable!) in the first place, not to mention putting the word "legendary" in the same sentence as the brand "Jeep" and getting so many sales for lesser "Jeeps". You do see that, right Fieep?!

Last edited by Chango; 07-17-2014 at 02:18 PM.

Quick Reply: new wrangler model 2017?