Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

New Wrangler Rumors

Old 02-10-2016, 10:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Direct injection will up HP and mpg on the Pentastar.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well if it would also increase the fuel economy, then we might just see it.

It's clear FCA has no choice but to make all design decisions fuel economy centric.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Somewhere else the new Wrangler could easily make some ground on is headlights.

It's surprising how many years they've went with headlights that verge on a safety issue.

I hope they keep them round, but if they implemented one of the fine aftermarket LED or HID products available into the OEM Wrangler, they'd address something that's been a longstanding problem.

Last edited by arjeeper; 02-11-2016 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by shabbernigdo
possibly with a newer fuel map or somthing similar but i dont thing the 3.6 has much more room for any mechanical HP gains unless the up the displacement a bit or compression.
Actually the very same engine makes 20 more hp in a Ram 1500 and it makes from 7-15 more hp in every other installation besides the Wrangler. There's definitely power left on the table. Now, whether more power can be had within the packaging constraints of the Wrangler or without compromising the extremely flat power curve, that's another question.

I'm not sure more compression would be a good idea on this engine anyway, given the propensity for the cylinder head to crack.

Direct injection would probably improve power and fuel economy, with a potential reduction in reliability, depending. I would think, considering the use of the Wrangler and the potentially increased amount of dirt that may make it into the intake when driving offroad, maybe the advantages of direct injection are outweighed by the increased risk of engine failure or other issues due to increased carbon and dirt buildup on the intake valves.

Anyway, you know, the Wrangler really does have plenty of power in stock trim, maybe as long as you are not towing something really heavy. Something tells me that increasing performance is not a priority. But increasing fuel economy should be at the top of their list. YMMV literally and figuratively if you choose to install heavy aftermarket stuff like bumpers and giant tires and wheels. Hard to knock Jeep for building a 4000-lb vehicle without enough extra horsepower to drive a 5000-lb vehicle. Add some aftermarket hp if you so choose, IMHO.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mr72
...Hard to knock Jeep for building a 4000-lb vehicle without enough extra horsepower to drive a 5000-lb vehicle. Add some aftermarket hp if you so choose, IMHO.
A very good point. I found the 3.6l to be a very nice engine. I've just always felt that modern Wranglers should have the same sort of power train options as comparable half-ton trucks, giving them more forgiving power bands and more respectable towing, especially the Unlimiteds.

Last edited by arjeeper; 02-11-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arjeeper
A very good point. I found the 3.6l to be a very nice engine. I've just always felt that modern Wranglers should have the same sort of power train options as comparable half-ton trucks, giving them more forgiving power bands and more respectable towing, especially the Unlimiteds.
Like mr72 said the 3.6 really does have plenty of power. It all comes down to the amount of weight you want to through on a Jeep and what your expectations are on lost performance and I think there are a good number who expect very little performance drop off. When I bought my 2013 I was getting out of a 2010 Genesis sedan with the 385 hp 5.0 ltr V8 with a 0-60 of 5.5 seconds so when I drove the 3.8 there was just no way in hell I could deal with that lethargic power plant. The 3.6 on the other hand really surprised me and I am very happy with what it offers. Plenty there if I need the get up and go and yet economic enough around town not to up my daily local driving, it really is a nice motor.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

It could be this..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3241609216.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	317.6 KB
ID:	637411  
Old 02-12-2016, 08:32 AM
JK Super Freak

It's only a mild departure from the JK, if so.

The front bumper is unappealing but the new door design and other tweaks seem fine.

I'm completely fine with the lack of fold-down windshield as has been rumored. No one really uses that anymore anyway given that it defeats part of the rollbar.
Old 02-12-2016, 01:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by twinz33
It could be this..
Nah, I don't think so. Think we're going to see more changes then at pic shows like more wind shield rake, possibly lower profile and so on. If they put out the new Wrangler with doors stamped like that I think i'd being taking them off and leaving them off. Bumper and doors are an eyesore!

(
"<UIControlTargetAction: 0x48c63b90>"
)
Old 02-12-2016, 02:01 PM
JK Super Freak

The existing JK's bumper is ugly to me as well and that one looks a lot like how some of the European JKs look.

Yeah it doesn't seem like much of a departure from the JK but I'm guessing they won't change it much aesthetically anyway given how well the JK is selling.

They don't want to put out the fire that's keeping FCA alive.

Quick Reply: New Wrangler Rumors