Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

newbie soft top questions

Old 04-06-2013, 06:20 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie soft top questions

Hey guys I just got a brand new 2013 JK 2door and I had a few soft top questions.

I have been looking at various soft tops aftermarket and factory. I really liked how the factory premium soft top for the 2013 is all black inside and im looking for a soft top like that but it seems like every aftermaket soft top ive found is white or silver on the inside. Is the premium factory soft top the only one thats black on the inside? I was also wondering how much of a difference the factory soft tops are from the many aftermarket ones that are tons cheaper. To get the premium soft top from my dealership its going to be $1200 and that seems a bit high but I dont mind paying it if thats the only one that is black on the inside but I would obviously rather not pay all that money if there is a better option. The dealership opted to trade my new hard top for the premium soft top but my buddy told me I would be better off selling the hard top on craigslist or other places then buyin the premium soft top and have some money left over. Just wondering what everyones opinions were on the subject. Im so ready for a soft top and hope im not stuck with the hard top for very long as I dont have a place to store it.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm guessing you have the 3 piece freedom hard top... You could sell it via "Craig's List" and get
What your asking for it. Or you could have the dealer do the swap and install the rag top for you.
IMO; you would be better off doing it all yourself.
Past experiences have proven to me that dealers
Are clueless to doing what needs to be done the right way.... The first time.
And as far as getting an OME as opposed to aftermarket top, you said you have checked out
A couple of them. There are way more than a couple of different companies and styles out there. There's a whole alphabet of tops from Best tops to Zebra top. Take a little more time to shop around.
Also, if you are planning to use your soft top during hot/cold weather there are liners,( that are black) to help insulate the interior from the heat& cold as well as helping to deaden the sounds from outside noises.

Hope some of this helps.

Boney.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been looking at tops and the bestop premium twill top is basically the oem premium top, it has a limited lifetime warranty too. Although I think you need the oem softop framework.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the replies. I looked at the bestop ones and it looks like its silver on the inside in the pictures ive been looking at. Ive yet to find a aftermarket top with all black in the inside from various websites im still looking though havent seen them all. I really like how the 2013 2dr i test drove was all black on the inside it made it look really nice it was the OEM premium I believe
Old 04-08-2013, 07:12 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sm0ke
Hey guys I just got a brand new 2013 JK 2door and I had a few soft top questions.

I have been looking at various soft tops aftermarket and factory. I really liked how the factory premium soft top for the 2013 is all black inside and im looking for a soft top like that but it seems like every aftermaket soft top ive found is white or silver on the inside. Is the premium factory soft top the only one thats black on the inside? I was also wondering how much of a difference the factory soft tops are from the many aftermarket ones that are tons cheaper. To get the premium soft top from my dealership its going to be $1200 and that seems a bit high but I dont mind paying it if thats the only one that is black on the inside but I would obviously rather not pay all that money if there is a better option. The dealership opted to trade my new hard top for the premium soft top but my buddy told me I would be better off selling the hard top on craigslist or other places then buyin the premium soft top and have some money left over. Just wondering what everyones opinions were on the subject. Im so ready for a soft top and hope im not stuck with the hard top for very long as I dont have a place to store it.
Sell the hardtop on Craigslist, you'll get a buyer quick! Also Bestop Twill tops are the best soft tops on the market right now. Its better than OEM. Let me know if you have any interests or other questions on soft tops.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Morris4x4Center
Sell the hardtop on Craigslist, you'll get a buyer quick! Also Bestop Twill tops are the best soft tops on the market right now. Its better than OEM. Let me know if you have any interests or other questions on soft tops.
Are the twill ones all black inside?

Sent from my thingy.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:45 AM
JK Freak

It looks like you are looking for a 2013 soft top for your 2008. Just FYI it will not fit. The rear window on the 2011 - 2013 is wider than a 2007 - 2010. The soft top also fits into a channel above the door on the 07-10 and it just kind of lays/springs closed along the doors on the 11-13.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:51 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HornetJK
It looks like you are looking for a 2013 soft top for your 2008. Just FYI it will not fit. The rear window on the 2011 - 2013 is wider than a 2007 - 2010. The soft top also fits into a channel above the door on the 07-10 and it just kind of lays/springs closed along the doors on the 11-13.
I don't know if there was a mid year change on the tops, but my '10 just lays closed. No channel to speak of.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:06 AM
JK Super Freak

The JKs don't have a channel. My 07 didn't and my 12 doesn't

Sent from my thingy.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mister ed
The JKs don't have a channel. My 07 didn't and my 12 doesn't

Sent from my thingy.
There are some brands of soft tops that use a channel system, though.

Sent from my thingy.

Quick Reply: newbie soft top questions