Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

No lien holder listed on financed title

Old 05-03-2016, 02:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts
Default No lien holder listed on financed title

I recently purchased a new Jeep vehicle and after shopping around for financing, I decided to use Chrysler financing through the dealership since they offered me a lower APR than my bank.

I signed all the paperwork and paid for the title and the new plate at the dealership. 3 weeks later, I received my title in the mail. A week after, the finance person from the dealership calls me and tells me, I need to bring my title in, sign some more papers so they can re-submit some paperwork. I ask them, "What is the problem?". They inform me, that they filed for the title with the state but "the state" messed up and didn't put Chrysler financing as a lien holder on my title. I check my title and they are correct that my name and my wife's names are on the title but Chrysler finance is not listed as the lien holder. I inform them, I'm currently really busy at work right now and making my way into the dealership is going to be difficult for at least the next couple weeks. The finance guy from the dealership gets kind of rude and irritated with me and says, "You need to get in here and take care of this!!!"

Now I don't know who made the mistake, either the dealership filing the paperwork for the title application or someone at the state. Alls, I know is I paid for it to be done and that whoever made the mistake that someone wasn't me but now this becomes my inconvenience to deal with and likely my wife's as well since her name is on the title also.

So now that a couple weeks have passed and I have some time to make my way into the dealership I'm kind of wondering, is there anything that I'm truly obligated to do?

I kind of view it as having a free and clear title as a benefit to myself and if anything, the dealership should be more accommodating by attempting to work around mine and my wife's schedules instead of the other way around, while being demanding about it which means both my wife and I now need to take time off of work to go back into the dealership during their operational hours to get this straightened out for the dealership.

What should I do and what am I obligated to do?

Since, the finance person from the dealership was pretty rude to me when I tried to explain that my schedule was pretty hectic at this moment, I kind of feel like telling him to go pound sand.

Last edited by Rednroll; 05-03-2016 at 02:52 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the dealership screwed up. The state has the power to issue a new title but the dealership doesn't and they're the ones harassing you. I can understand you getting pissed for being treated poorly. I would be too. I don't think you're trying to get out of your obligations but they could probably get a court order if you did since you signed the papers and they can most likely prove it was just a mistake. However, I would make them come to me just for being jerks. I would tell them you simply don't have time in your schedule and if they want this cleared up they need to send someone with the paperwork to you at your convenience. Let them sweat a little.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:02 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sure it's a big screw up for them and somebody's butts on the line. They should be more understanding and offer to come out to you and your wife if the paperwork is time sensitive. Perhaps you can suggest it. The other option if you don't want to drive to the dealership is to get a Power of Attorney signed/notarized and mail to them authorizing them to sign the paperwork on your behalf. If it were me, I'd just take care of it one evening and be done with it. In the end, it was a mistake and you are still obligated to pay the note you signed with the Chrysler Financial. If you play hard ball with them, they may not be so accommodating when you need service, etc. Mistakes happen and you are much better than them... show them you meet your obligations no matter what kind of jerks they are.

Happy Jeeping!!
Old 05-03-2016, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the finance guy at the dealership really messed up. There is a possibility they could be charged and/or fined by DMV for their screw up. The state can probably get a pick up order of some type on the current title. See if you can get some free mods/parts in exchange for your trouble. Maybe free oil changes for a couple years. After all it was their screw up, not yours, and your the one being hassled to keep the dealership from getting in trouble for not indicating there was a lien holder.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are the ones who need to square it up. Make them run documents to you. Once upon a time my grandfather co-signed a car loan with me. He was never present, and the dealership ran the documents to him for him to sign. They can bring everything they need to you. Don't sweat it. You aren't breaking the law. Make them work on your time.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the advise. I'm willing to work with them, but it's going to be at my convenience and I'll offer up for them sending out the paperwork. After all, it's going to cost my wife and I wages to take off of work and I only think that's fair.

This dealership is really starting to annoy me with their "mistakes". The 1st mistake was with the sales person. I shopped around on the internet and negotiated prices over the phone. I found 2 different dealerships that had a Jeep with everything my wife wanted. The only differences between the 2 vehicles was that the other dealership was located 40 miles away and it was going to cost me $1400 more because it additionally had navigation which wasn't a must have. So I set up a meeting to bring my wife in to test drive and see the vehicle. They informed me it wasn't currently on their lot and needed to have to sent from the district warehouse. We arrive at the scheduled time and the vehicle is not there. Long story short, the sales person says they made a mistake and that Jeep was no longer available, a "mistake" in their inventory system. So they try to get us to settle for others they have on the lot. My wife is not thrilled with their offerings. So then they bring us another build sheet and ask, "How about this one?" Check all the options and it has everything the same as the original now missing Jeep that the wife wanted where the only thing different was that the original vehicle had a $300 "polished" aluminum wheel option and she didn't have a preference on the wheels and actually preferred the non polished painted aluminum wheels. So, I said great, we'll take it for our original agreed upon price minus the $300!! Except.....the response was, sorry we have to get this one transferred from another dealership and it's actually going to cost $600 more since we have to buy it from the other dealership and pay for transfer fees. So we ended up paying $600 more than our negotiated price with $300 less options on it for their supposed inventory "mistake". I likely got hood winked by the sales guy with that story. Oh, and they charged me $200 for plates where they originally gave me an "Out the door" price including tax, title and plate. Looking back, when the deal was all was said and done, for $300 more, I could have gone to the other dealership instead and gotten the one with the navigation but the wife was happy so I let it slide.

Last edited by Rednroll; 05-03-2016 at 05:57 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought mine in December, and the guy at the dealership that handled all the paperwork forgot to get the check for the down payment. I was home (20 miles away) when I realized I never gave them the check. They wanted me to go back, but I said "it was you that screwed up, send someone to my house, and I will leave the check in the mailbox"
Old 05-03-2016, 07:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

One of the papers you signed was likely an agreement that if there were any issues the come up that would require you to return to the dealer, that you are obligated to do so. Just do it.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ShutterBug
One of the papers you signed was likely an agreement that if there were any issues the come up that would require you to return to the dealer, that you are obligated to do so. Just do it.
Would that paperwork obligate me to purchase another vehicle and date the owner's ugly daughter if requested as well?
Old 05-03-2016, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Thanks for the advise. I'm willing to work with them, but it's going to be at my convenience and I'll offer up for them sending out the paperwork. After all, it's going to cost my wife and I wages to take off of work and I only think that's fair.

This dealership is really starting to annoy me with their "mistakes". The 1st mistake was with the sales person. I shopped around on the internet and negotiated prices over the phone. I found 2 different dealerships that had a Jeep with everything my wife wanted. The only differences between the 2 vehicles was that the other dealership was located 40 miles away and it was going to cost me $1400 more because it additionally had navigation which wasn't a must have. So I set up a meeting to bring my wife in to test drive and see the vehicle. They informed me it wasn't currently on their lot and needed to have to sent from the district warehouse. We arrive at the scheduled time and the vehicle is not there. Long story short, the sales person says they made a mistake and that Jeep was no longer available, a "mistake" in their inventory system. So they try to get us to settle for others they have on the lot. My wife is not thrilled with their offerings. So then they bring us another build sheet and ask, "How about this one?" Check all the options and it has everything the same as the original now missing Jeep that the wife wanted where the only thing different was that the original vehicle had a $300 "polished" aluminum wheel option and she didn't have a preference on the wheels and actually preferred the non polished painted aluminum wheels. So, I said great, we'll take it for our original agreed upon price minus the $300!! Except.....the response was, sorry we have to get this one transferred from another dealership and it's actually going to cost $600 more since we have to buy it from the other dealership and pay for transfer fees. So we ended up paying $600 more than our negotiated price with $300 less options on it for their supposed inventory "mistake". I likely got hood winked by the sales guy with that story. Oh, and they charged me $200 for plates where they originally gave me an "Out the door" price including tax, title and plate. Looking back, when the deal was all was said and done, for $300 more, I could have gone to the other dealership instead and gotten the one with the navigation but the wife was happy so I let it slide.

So what you're really saying is that you already knew this dealership wasn't great with quality control but you went ahead and purchased from them anyway.

Whomever posted that you should try to get stuff from them for this is the of person that needs some karma to hit them in the face. You see this as an opportunity to stick it to the 'stealership' instead of seeing that someone (perhaps not the person the OP claims hoodwinked him) made a mistake that they may be paying dearly for now.

I agree that they should send someone to you for their mistake. That said, you shouldn't be an ass about it. In the end they've got the advantage whether you like it or not and how much they play that advantage is entirely up to the direction you point the relationship you have with them.

Quick Reply: No lien holder listed on financed title