Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

NOO!!! I MIGHT TRADE IN MY '08 for a '15!!!HELLLLP!!!

Old 12-20-2014, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get the temptation to get a new Rubi. I could easily afford a new one, but I constantly have to talk myself off the ledge because I would never use it as intended.

Everyone's situation is different, but I'm not the type to spend $40k on a rig just to tear it up.

Your situation is different- it wouldn't be your money. So... Why not, what are you waiting for?

Bottom line- if you have kiddos, and have made good memories in the Jk, and you think your kids would someday see it in the same sentimental way (Dad's cool Jeep)- then I'd keep the 08.

If not- get a Rubi. I have the lifetime warranty too, but with some of the horror stories I've heard of Chrysler denying claims for stupid things, that would really be one of the last factors I'd consider. My 2 cents. Good luck either way. I don't think you can make a bad decision here.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:05 PM
JK Super Freak

FWIW, my opinion:

No matter how much you fix up an old car/jeep, (even if it's an 08 and not that old, like yours and mine, it's still just an old car/jeep) My dad told me that when I bought my first car, a 68 mustang. It's been nothing but a money pit. That being said, I completely restored it and will never let it go! I get too attached to my vehicles once I've done a ton of work to them. Because of this, I most likely won't get rid of my either. But if they're just stock and untouched, I've got no problems letting them go for a new project. Just my $0.02
Old 12-21-2014, 03:08 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think that keeping it because you have good memories in it is a good reason. The memories are important, not the object. You can make so many more memories in a new, better vehicle.

That being said I inherited a 1988 jeep wrangler from my dad that passed away in March. He bought that Jeep new and it's been in my life in one form or another since then. I have a lot of memories in that vehicle and will keep it forever.

A few years ago my older brother wanted to trade his 2002 wrangler for my dads 1988 wrangler then trade the 1988 for something newer. My dad said no because he was to attached to the 1988 Wrangler. I believed then as I believe now that he made a poor decision, as my brothers I6 TJ was in much better condition than my dads I4 YJ. Now that being said I also have a 2015 JKU and love it to death.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was pleasantly surprised at how much more comfortable the ride is in my '13 JKUR vs my '07 JKUSahara. Plus the Bluetooth, NAV, non-leaking softtop and Sirius, if you're doing a lot of miles and dressed in a suit, the new vehicle is the way to go.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RubiKing
I don't think that keeping it because you have good memories in it is a good reason. The memories are important, not the object. You can make so many more memories in a new, better vehicle.
It's not very nice to steal the exact words I intended to post...

To the OP:
You listed the reasons for getting a new Rubi... the only thing that (still) holds you back is emotional.
I believe that after driving the new Jeep for a period, you'll be no less attached to it.
In fact, the added benefits - not just the improved engine and gearbox - will, so I think, make you wonder why you ever wondered whether to get it.

Last edited by GJeep; 12-21-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think that I am going to wait a few months and see how I feel.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by spartan99
I think that I am going to wait a few months and see how I feel.
I think you're doing right.

My thoughts--

I'm an advocate of not making major purchases or big decisions with the start of a new job, if you can avoid it. Test the waters, get the new job under you, then figure out if you want to be on the hook for a new vehicle.

You said your employer would pay for it--I'm guessing that means a monthly stipend. Well, what it probably doesn't include is them agreeing to pay the car off, should the job not work out. You might also decide a Jeep isn't the right tool for the job, as sacrilegious as that is to say on here!
Old 12-22-2014, 02:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jk_sea
You might also decide a Jeep isn't the right tool for the job, as sacrilegious as that is to say on here!
Any tool that works is the right one! I've made plenty of "specialty tools" into dual/multi-purpose tools. Whether keeping the 08 or getting the new JKUR, let's not go crazy. Stay in a jeep.
I'm sure you see all of the "FINALLY BACK IN A JEEP!!!" posts in the New member registry. No need to become one of them in another 3-5 years.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a feeling I'll use the stipend toward freshening up my 08 with a new top and seats and then using it toward paying down my mortgage. I am pretty fiscally conservative, which according to my wife translates to "cheap ass mofo." We'll see.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by spartan99
I have a feeling I'll use the stipend toward freshening up my 08 with a new top and seats and then using it toward paying down my mortgage. I am pretty fiscally conservative, which according to my wife translates to "cheap ass mofo." We'll see.
Good choice

Quick Reply: NOO!!! I MIGHT TRADE IN MY '08 for a '15!!!HELLLLP!!!