Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

NOO!!! I MIGHT TRADE IN MY '08 for a '15!!!HELLLLP!!!

Old 12-20-2014, 03:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First world problems.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just curious, why does your employer want you to have a new car?
Old 12-20-2014, 06:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of job do you have?

I traded my 08 2dr Rubi for a 2015 JKU Willys edition. Best trade I ever made. The engine alone is worth it. My old 3.8 would burn a quart of oil every 1 miles. My 08 was paid off and I got a very fair amount in the trade in. The interior is also vastly improved. The Willys edition is perfect for my needs.
Old 12-20-2014, 07:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was in the same position a couple years ago. Loved my '07 Sahara, then got to a position that comes with a company car. Discussed the employer buying my Jeep from me for market value. However, new vehicles come with full warranties and that's an important factor. Employer bought me a new '13 JKUR, and I love it as much as I loved my '07. Sold the '07 and bought my wife a new car with that money. Now have 2 '13s in the garage, and everyone is happy.

Only downside (and its small) is that I won't consider any mods that might impact the warranty until the warranty expires.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I join the forums' decision: You get the new Rubi.

It's out of your hands now, you have no choice. Sorry...

Last edited by GJeep; 12-20-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

As a fellow, original '08 owner, a wise man once told me (posted):

"I have done everything from tow boats, rip out trees, off-roading with my boy, stack a million surfboards on it and pack the Jeep with 7 passengers for a surf trip (I have a third row bench seat), ski trips, tow my friend's car when it broke down, watched drive-ins with the family sitting on thensoundbar, tow campers, teach my son how to work on trucks, hauling wood to build my kids' tree house, practiced the arts of procreation in it (the sound bar in the 4 door is sooo useful)... It's family now. It's totally beat to shit and I remember every dent and scratch..."

Rare opportunity to have an employer offer to up your ride. Just remember you won't be able to go back...
Old 12-20-2014, 02:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gr808JK
As a fellow, original '08 owner, a wise man once told me (posted):

"I have done everything from tow boats, rip out trees, off-roading with my boy, stack a million surfboards on it and pack the Jeep with 7 passengers for a surf trip (I have a third row bench seat), ski trips, tow my friend's car when it broke down, watched drive-ins with the family sitting on thensoundbar, tow campers, teach my son how to work on trucks, hauling wood to build my kids' tree house, practiced the arts of procreation in it (the sound bar in the 4 door is sooo useful)... It's family now. It's totally beat to shit and I remember every dent and scratch..."

Rare opportunity to have an employer offer to up your ride. Just remember you won't be able to go back...

That's why it's such a hard decision. Otherwise it'd be a no brainier. Okay here are the details:

It's paid for.
It has the lifetime warranty.
Company is giving me a car allowance that I can either use to maintain my current vehicle since I will be driving it a lot, or buy a new one.

I very much regret not getting the Rubi because there have been times when its features would've come in handy, but I can't install such features without voiding the lifetime warranty. The lack of a trans cooler makes it so I must stop occassionally when I tow, because it overheats, but I can't install a cooler without voiding the warranty (you are free to disagree that this is the case, but thats what Chrysler tells me).

My seats are rotted, my soft top is destroyed and it needs other cosmetic work so actually the cost of fixing it up a bit to make it road ready (I would do a ton of driving) and professional in appearance (I wear a suit to work) would cost similar to trading it in and getting he Rubi. And if the company's pays for it, then why not? I'd need to use the money to fix it up if I don't just get a new one.

I don't want two Jeeps.

What do I do? I am the regional suit for a company. Businessman.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The thing is I am going to put a lot of miles on it. Lots of time behind the wheel, so Bluetooth, cruise control, the better engine and trans etc will be important. I initially thought about buying a smaller SUV and keeping the Jeep, but the company will be paying for gas too, so MPG's don't matter.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would make my Jeep a trailer rig strictly for offroad and use the money to buy a truck to tow that bad boy! I hear the F-150 has an eco boost engine that is very powerful yet excellent in gas mileage and refined enough to maybe call “luxury". Either way sounds like you have a nice dilemma to have.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get you some 3.6. And keep the old one for the zombie apocalypse.

Quick Reply: NOO!!! I MIGHT TRADE IN MY '08 for a '15!!!HELLLLP!!!