Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

O2 sensor code

Old 04-02-2014, 08:23 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 sensor code

Replaced all 4 o2 sensors cleared the codes and now 4 days later I get a P2245 code lean up stream. I'm can't remember for the life of me that means it's getting too much oxygen right?

My header gasket could be leaking causing a small leak right?

I feel stupid asking I should know this
Old 04-02-2014, 08:31 PM
JK Junkie

Yes- lean is too much oxygen and a poor sealing gasket could certainly create a vacuum to draw air into the exhaust flow.

What brand sensors did you use? Previous jeeps were not fond of Bosch sensors.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:34 PM
JK Newbie

Found out the hard way

But I have OEM o2 sensors
Old 04-02-2014, 08:50 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 11RUBICON
Replaced all 4 o2 sensors cleared the codes and now 4 days later I get a P2245 code lean up stream. I'm can't remember for the life of me that means it's getting too much oxygen right?

My header gasket could be leaking causing a small leak right?

I feel stupid asking I should know this
In the factory service manual, P2245 appears in the JK diesel list of codes, but not the gas 3.8L list of codes.

In the diesel section, it's listed as P2245-O2 SENSOR 1/1 REFERENCE VOLTAGE CIRCUIT LOW

In the 3.6L gas engine service manual it's listed asP2245-O2 SENSOR 1/1, 2/1 REFERENCE VOLTAGE CIRCUIT LOW

Last edited by ronjenx; 04-02-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:41 AM
JK Newbie

I recently bought this Rubi and on my long trip home the Engine Management Light came on. I have no previous history on this car so I'm flying blind. I ran a scan tool check and this code came up "P2245".
I have a 2011 JKU Rubicon with only 44,000 miles. P2245 states Bank 1 , Sensor 1. Before i went out and bought a replacement O2 sensor I thought I'd swap the R/H sensor for the L/H one and see what happens. I cleared the code, started the car and within 3 minutes "Bing" the EML comes on again. I checked the code and it's states the same sensor is playing up. Strange as I just did a swap.
Any ideas what the cause may be. I can't hear or see any signs of a leaking manifold, I found the air intake hose clamp was loose after the MAF sensor. Could that be an issue?

Should I change all 4 sensors but this sounds like an expensive experiment.
I look forward to any advice.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's weird code, did you check the wire harnesses in the 02 sensors to make sure none of the cracked or shorted out ?
Old 11-04-2015, 12:56 AM
JK Newbie

I agree, this code should not appear on a 3.8 Petrol Rubi. Both bank 1 & 2 sensors # 1 wiring looks perfect but bank #1, sensor 2 looks a bit average so I'll do a few tests with the multimeter. There could be a short which has cause a wrong code.
Thx for the feed back.
Old 11-20-2015, 02:41 PM
JK Newbie

Default P2445 error code fix - Gas/Petrol JK Wrangler

I went back and worked on a process of elimination to try and find why my 2011 JK Wrangler Rubi has error code P2445. I swapped the L/H top and bottom sensor to the R/H and vica versa. I then cleared the code and started the car before i even had a chance of reversing out of the drive the same code popped up again. Hmmmm, so this can't be a sensors. Then this morning I thought I'd check the earthing from the battery to the engine block as suggested as the Wranglers can have issues with earthing.
I started at the battery were the previous owner had installed a twin battery system. The 1st job was I didn't like the Mopar pressed metal negative battery terminal which had too many wires crammed onto it so I changed it for a solid cast terminal with a longer accessories post and also found that a positive connection to a Voltage Sensitive Rely (VSR) was loose as well. I did these fixes and thought I'd check the system before going all out and putting a bigger negative cable to the engine block and YEE-HAA the error code has disappeared, even after a good drive it hasn't reappeared.

So if you have error code P2445 (diesel engine code) come up on a Gas/Petrol JK Wrangler check the wiring.

Quick Reply: O2 sensor code