Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Oil Change

Old 07-21-2014, 09:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've always changed mine every 3K. In fact, I just got my first oil change done today!!! (waited until 4K out of laziness) I'll say this though, if all I did was driving around town, i'd probably change it every 5K. But consequently, I spend a large portion of my time either off road, or towing a trailer with a quad behind it or a 19' boat. So i'm hard on my jeep regularly.

With that said, what is the REAL advantage to going synthetic? I've ran standard oil since my first vehicle and never had an issue. But i'm open to suggestion.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been a lot of years that I was working as a grease monkey, but I can tell you after seeing the sludge build up and stuck lifters first hand on non synthetic run vehicles, synthetic is pretty much better in every way.... better high temp resistance and no deposits. With that all said, if you change your oil between 4 and 5k religiously, you'd probably not notice. It's the high mileage vehicles where you really see the difference of who ran synthetic and who didn't. Gotta ask yourself how long you plan on keeping your rig.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:41 PM
JK Newbie

It's time for my first oil change. I live in Texas and I think 5w 20 is too light. I thinking of going with mobile one. What r you using?
Old 07-21-2014, 06:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I run 5W-30. I spend a lot of time offroad and idling, so I like the thicker oil to resist heat a bit better.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jay self
It's time for my first oil change. I live in Texas and I think 5w 20 is too light. I thinking of going with mobile one. What r you using?
Don't want to hijack the thread if this was for the op, but I use 5w30 Mobile One full synthetic...it hurts the wallet a bit more, but never failed me yet...I'm sure most have their favorite brand, this is just mine. My previous head mechanic swore by Penzoil, guess I had to be different.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by jay self
Unless something has changed, Mobil 1 does not carry the Chrysler MS certification. That's why I typically choose penzoil synthetic. Don't want to give Chrysler any wiggle room to deny a warranty claim.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
Unless something has changed, Mobil 1 does not carry the Chrysler MS certification. That's why I typically choose penzoil synthetic. Don't want to give Chrysler any wiggle room to deny a warranty claim.
I've heard this before, there's a lot of threads on whether Mobile One will void a warranty and/or Chrysler won't honor it...the quarts I buy say they meet Chrysler standards, but to be on the safe side, call your local dealer, talk to the service manager and get a yay or nay from them if you're set on doing it yourself... they're the ones who would handle the warranty claim... again, between personal preference and Chrysler warranty, I say stick with whatever they like.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tatonka456
I've heard this before, there's a lot of threads on whether Mobile One will void a warranty and/or Chrysler won't honor it...the quarts I buy say they meet Chrysler standards, but to be on the safe side, call your local dealer, talk to the service manager and get a yay or nay from them if you're set on doing it yourself... they're the ones who would handle the warranty claim... again, between personal preference and Chrysler warranty, I say stick with whatever they like.
the Mobil 1 quarts you buy have Chrysler standards met on the bottle? Pic please! Even their web site indicates they haven't met Chryslers specs yet.......
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2763717341.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	566778  

Last edited by Jeepstin12; 07-21-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:43 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
the Mobil 1 quarts you buy have Chrysler standards met on the bottle? Pic please! Even their web site indicates they haven't met Chryslers specs yet.......
My understanding is that the Mobil conventional Dino oil has the Chrysler cert but the synthetic does not.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:57 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Tatonka456
I will never trust the dealer. My local dealer told me I could void my warranty if I used synthetic And I could void the warranty if I didn't get the oil changed every 3k miles in my 2012 JKU. So many people use Mobil 1 but I don't understand why. Other oils are just as good and do carry the Chrysler cert. There is nothing magical about Mobil 1, just seems to have name recognition.

Last edited by rob_engineer; 07-22-2014 at 05:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Oil Change