Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

oil consumption test

Old 09-06-2013, 06:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil consumption test

My 2010 is going to the dealer soon to start an oil consumption test. For those of you that have been down this road, what can I expect? I'm very leery of my local dealer actually admitting a 2010 needs its rings replaced.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I noticed your on Cape Cod - what dealer are you taking it to?

I had a 2008 that I had to take in for a consumption test. I agree its a bit of a nervous experience. Basically they're going to replace your oil and put a tape seal with a marking over the dip stick, drain plug and the main opening at the top - to make sure that YOU don't remove any oil and claim that the consumption is high. Once they do that, you'll take it back in a month or so later and they'll check the levels. I believe they may have used dye in mine as well, to check for leaks too.

Ultimately, unless you burn more than 1 quart per 1000 miles (which is obscene), they won't do a damn thing for you, because Chrysler considers that "within the range of normal oil consumption."

On mine, they wound up fixing 2 or 3 minor leaks, then doing a 2nd test. The 2nd test should that i was burning 1 quart every 1,200 miles, therefore it was "normal."

I don't have that JK anymore - but my plan was to bring it in every 6 months to have them test it, essentially so the dealer knew that I was going continue to bring it back until it was fixed under warranty and they would hopefully help me sooner than later. My other idea was to run the engine for while with out going anyway, to try to burn off a bit more oil in fewer miles (not sure if it would have worked).

Ultimately, for the first test, just see how things turn out and go with it. If you're not happy with the results, then continue to monitor your oil and figure out your game plan for bringing it back for another one.

Hope this helps!
Old 09-06-2013, 07:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Going to be bringing it to Premeir Cape Cod. They are an ok dealer. From what ive heard and experienced its like em or hate em kinda of dealer. Yeah one quart every month is absurd and I'm right around that amount. I love my color and really want ro keep it but the new motor and trans has me thinking. If they decide not to do anything I'm probably trading it in for a 4 door.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blue project
Going to be bringing it to Premeir Cape Cod. They are an ok dealer. From what ive heard and experienced its like em or hate em kinda of dealer. Yeah one quart every month is absurd and I'm right around that amount. I love my color and really want ro keep it but the new motor and trans has me thinking. If they decide not to do anything I'm probably trading it in for a 4 door.
Yea, it seems most dealers in MA are love them or hate them. Really the best thing to do is to tolerate the closest dealer and be as civil and reasonable as possible.

What color is your current jeep? I have a 13 now, and pentastar is certainly a nice updgrade from the 3.8.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:10 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

If they need to seal the dip stick, drain plug, etc., because they don't trust the customer, you have the right to see the dip stick after they fill it, and before it's sealed. People have noticed some dealers tend to over fill on these consumption tests.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:21 AM
JK Super Freak

I have the deep water blue pearl. Gotta love the dealers knowingly screwing their customers.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:57 AM
JK Freak

I don't know about the 3.8s but I had to have my piston and rings replaced because they were miss aligned from the dealer on my 3.6l because it was burning off oil hasn't lost a drop since good luck
Old 09-06-2013, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
If they need to seal the dip stick, drain plug, etc., because they don't trust the customer, you have the right to see the dip stick after they fill it, and before it's sealed. People have noticed some dealers tend to over fill on these consumption tests.
X2. When I went through it, they simply checked the dipstick and recorded the level. You can ask to see it yourself.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I completely agree - i was taken back by this and not too happy about the whole situation. I sort of went with the flow of it and did what they wanted for the first test, my plan was to take it back to them and make sure I was there for each step of draining, measuring, filling, sealing, draining and measuring the next time - but then the jeep was totalled, and now I've got a 2013, so I never had to take it to that level.

Quick Reply: oil consumption test