Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Only running Freedom panels?

Old 05-07-2012, 04:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone care to elaborate on where these tabs are? I have run with only the freedom top front panels for every summer since i have owned my jk. Never done anything with tabs...
Old 05-07-2012, 05:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by adicus8
Anyone care to elaborate on where these tabs are? I have run with only the freedom top front panels for every summer since i have owned my jk. Never done anything with tabs...
They are on the back edge of the freedom panels themselves.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MoTec
They are on the back edge of the freedom panels themselves.
Thanks man! I will have to start using those! It would be pricey to replace those
Old 05-07-2012, 06:37 PM
JK Newbie

Default 2dr freedom panel only pics?

Anyone have shots of the freedom panels installed without the rest of top? How about without doors? I'd love to see the coverage as I'm still thinking of doing this and pulling the carpet when my Jeep arrives this week.

-J
Old 05-08-2012, 08:27 PM
JK Newbie

I have been using just the freedom panels for a few months and I am just learning about these tabs. My screws do not go through the top and they are pretty tight. I see what the tabs are supposed to do, but the panel seems to not fit right with the tab in the position that creates a space between the sound bar and the freedom panel. I have a 2011 JKU hardtop, did they change the design? Am I missing something here?
Old 05-09-2012, 01:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yeahbuddy
I have been using just the freedom panels for a few months and I am just learning about these tabs. My screws do not go through the top and they are pretty tight. I see what the tabs are supposed to do, but the panel seems to not fit right with the tab in the position that creates a space between the sound bar and the freedom panel. I have a 2011 JKU hardtop, did they change the design? Am I missing something here?
Maybe they shortened the screws
Old 05-18-2012, 08:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jonesje2
Anyone have shots of the freedom panels installed without the rest of top? How about without doors? I'd love to see the coverage as I'm still thinking of doing this and pulling the carpet when my Jeep arrives this week.
Not glamor shots by any means... but...

It's hard to show the coverage because the roof is around head level. They do cover up to the soundbar quite nicely.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:34 PM
JK Newbie

Default Freedom top front panels only -- awesome for fall driving in the northern states

I love this setup, especially fall in MN when the mornings are cool. You can delay putting the main hard top on if your run with just the fronts and turn the heat on low in the morning. The tabs you have to flip down are those black rectangle things (not the L shaped ones that hold the sections to each other). I did not know this until tonight reading other forums, wow. I've actually been running without screwing those stupid things through the soundbar (after I realized they were just about poking through my panels) -- I just had cabinet door rubber bumpers on the top of the sound bar where the tabs would normally rest on it (without tabs being extended). This has worked very well for me. Clamping the front panels up by the visors and then the two panels to each other is solid enough. As far as I'm concerned those oversized screw things are as worthless as the nuts for the bottom of the door hinges. Take them off once and store them until the end of time. I opened up the tabs and will try it tomorrow morning but I get the feeling it will rattle and I'll close them up again and put little rubber stoppers under them like I've been doing for years. After extending those tabs, the outer edges of the panels don't look as snug along the doors. Obviously they're intended to be used with those pain in the arse hand screw things.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:08 PM
JK Newbie

Default leave screws out

Yes, they bounced around. I'm going back to what worked -- tabs closed, no screws, bumper pads on top of roll bar where tabs rest.

Quick Reply: Only running Freedom panels?