Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Opinion on Warrior Safari t Rack

Old 11-14-2012, 05:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinion on Warrior Safari t Rack

I was thinking of getting this rack for my 2008 Jeep. Like the way it looks and the fact that it carry my board. And that lights can be installed in the front and back. Wondering if anybody has this same rack and what they thought?
Old 11-14-2012, 07:49 AM
JK Junkie

Love mine! See picture below for what I can haul on it. It's fairly easy to remove, especially if there are 2 people doing it. When I shopped around it had the highest weight limits (that was a few years ago), which was important to me, whcih you can see.

2 16' canoes, each weight about 85lbs, plus paddles and other gear below them

1 canoe, 3 bikes

4 bikes; though I can carry as many as 7 bikes, 4 facing forward and 3 facing back. I built my own set up using 2x4's and mounting blocks. It's tight, but works.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:13 AM
JK Newbie

How hard is it to put up and down the soft top with it? If you don't mind me asking. I tried to look it up on youtube and found nothing. Hoping you can give me some insight. I also will be haul kayak and a paddle board. But I like the fact that the basket can come off. So far out of all the racks I have seen this one for me seems to be the best for me so far!!
Old 11-14-2012, 08:16 AM
JK Super Freak

I got one in a trade and hated it. The powder coating chipped off in less than 6 months, the joints rust, it rattles like a unbalanced washing machine and is a pain to get a hardtop off. I live in SoCal and jeep gets put undercover. No reason it should rust or chip. I'm looking to replace it with a gobi. I installed it to the letter and even asked wp about the problems. I'd rather spend 1k on a solid design then the free wp I have. Just my 2cents.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:43 AM
JK Newbie

I guess my question is this then. What is a good rack system comparable to this one. One that allow for the soft top to be put up and down without any read issue. And that won’t break the bank. I know there’s a lot to choose out there on the market. So any opinions are welcome
Old 11-14-2012, 02:15 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Sgt Mack
I got one in a trade and hated it. The powder coating chipped off in less than 6 months, the joints rust, it rattles like a unbalanced washing machine and is a pain to get a hardtop off. I live in SoCal and jeep gets put undercover. No reason it should rust or chip. I'm looking to replace it with a gobi. I installed it to the letter and even asked wp about the problems. I'd rather spend 1k on a solid design then the free wp I have. Just my 2cents.

I've yet to have any product that was powdercoated not chip when it gets used, hit with things, etc. And unless it's stainless or aluminum beneath the paint, it will rust. Once a year I remove everything give it a light sanding, hit any exposed metal parts with rustoleum primer and hit it with spray on bedliner. You'll have to the do the same with a Gobi rack if you use it to haul stuff, drag canoes/kayaks on it, etc. As for the rattle, I had that issue too, I replaced the pins they provide with bolts, tightened them down and no more rattling.

As for the soft top removal, it's a pain, but doable. You need to undo everything like you were going to fold it, then unscrew the swing arms on the rear roll bar and pull it straight back. Fold it up on the ground and put in the back and reatach the arms. I don't drop mine often as it's too hot in AZ most of the time I'm doorless and no windows to not have a cover over you, but when I do and the rack is on, this is what I do.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:35 PM
JK Super Freak

I don't have one my self but I guy I ride with has one and has it for sale pretty cheap because he don't like it. And I have a guy with a gobi rack and its sweet doesn't vibrate and rattle. You can grab the rack and shake the jeep its strong and if I was to get one I would be a gobi.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:14 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the info. I just got done reading that on the rear bar has two pins they allow the bar just to pop off allowing the soft top to go up and down.
For example. Warrior Products Safari Rear Light Bar (87-06 Wrangler YJ & TJ) - Free Shipping!
Old 11-14-2012, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I love the kargo cage on my TJ. It's been on it for almost a yr. My kayak is now put away for the winter months, but for 3/4 of this year it was on there w/my fishing gear and the finish is still great. Now i will most likely replace the hardware w/ss nuts n bolts as I see surface rust on them but I fully expected that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1782969703.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	388730

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2554803001.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	388732

I dont know if the jk product is as well thought out but If it is I'll recommend that for consideration.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:19 PM
JK Newbie

Alright here's a better example. I can see that the rear bar has two release pins.
Warrior Products 878 - Warrior Products Safari Water Craft Rack for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Quick Reply: Opinion on Warrior Safari t Rack