Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Opinions needed, Should I trade my 2010 JKUR for a 2013 JKUR??

Old 10-12-2012, 02:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions needed, Should I trade my 2010 JKUR for a 2013 JKUR??

I need somehonest opinions and either talked into or out of a trade.
While getting my oil changed and tires rotated on my 2010 JKUR I test drove and 2013 ( I know, terrible terrible idea) and absolutely loved it. The interior is quite a bit nicer but the engine and transimission combo is awesome compared to my 2010.
So now I'm thinking about possibly trading mine in for a comparably equipped 2013.
Right now I've got 3 yrs left and owe $21k on my 5 yr loan.
After talking with 4 different dealers and I'm about $500 short of a 4 yr loan keeping the same payment amount. All in all this new 2013will cost me a little under $8000 above what I already owe.
SO this is where I need help, how stupid of an ideais this.
On one hand I'm thinking with the new engine and tranny combo, the old 3.8s (I would think but could bewrong) should lose theirvalue faster, so trading now will definitely get me the best trade in value.
On the other hand, do I really want to add another year of payments.
We just had a little one(well 11 months ago) and plan on another in the not to distant future and figure we eventually (I say we meaning my wife) will want to trade her sedan for something bigger. I really hate to have 2 payments. But at the same time it's just a year and if worse comes to worse the 2013 would have (again I'm assuming) significantly better resale value.
So what do you all think?
Don't sugar coat it lol
I've beat my wife to death about it, asking her for an honest opinion and can only get "whatever will make you happy babe, I won't be upset"...
Old 10-12-2012, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Traded my 2010 JKU Rubi for a 2012 JKU Rubi. Night and day difference in power. Love the new interior and it rides better. Go for it.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think the new motor/trans combo is safer since I have more than just the option to slow down to get out of the way of danger. You want the family to be safe, right? Is this helping?
Old 10-12-2012, 04:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd say do it when you got money to put down, or when you pay off your 2010 more. I wouldn't worry about depreciation too much. Look at how much tj's are still selling for.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies guys
James - AFter crunching some numbers, if I pay off this one I'm looking at around $37,000. I'm figuring if I wait until after paying this one off to get a new one I'm probably looking at another $37,000 sticker minus (and this is a wild guess) $20,000 leaving me $17000. That puts me at $54,000 for the new one.....and starting payments over.
Right now I'm $16000 in, and after trade and everything I'm looking at OTD price right at $30,000 putting me at $46,000...and only adding 1 yr of payments.
This is my thinking anyway ha
I'm not trying to dispute you, just wondering if I missed something.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Keep yours and put the $8000.00 in it. You'll end up with a better Jeep that is custom to you.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:44 AM
JK Freak

RIPP supercharger =$5k. It'll kick the 2012's butt all day long.
That's what i'm saving for.Oh, and a Triumph cafe racer, and a race-prepped Miata, and a retirement home, and...
Old 10-13-2012, 05:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

B5rider and wrangler,
I've been waiting for that response
If it wasn't my dd and I could hide that 5-8grand from the wife that would work.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just traded in my 2010 for a 2013 and love the upgrades to the current model.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Another way to look at it would be: If you plan on modifying your current Jeep, the money could be spent on things like tires, wheels, body armor etc.etc etc. These items could be removed if and when you trade the vehicle in down the road....say in a couple of years or so. In the mean time you have some mods to help you with your current Jeep and your out having fun. If that is not an option and you don't plan on modifying it then I would just trade it in now and be done with it. You'll be happier with the new upgraded interior and for sure the awesome power of the new motor. It just depends what you want to do with a Jeep. IMHO It is a lot easier to modify a Jeep that has a couple of years under the belt and a few miles on it than a brand spankin new one. With the new Jeep, all that extra money goes into the payment, nothing left over for up-grades. Ok, here's my run down...Keeping the existing Jeep: 1. Save a butt load of (out of pocket cash) can be used for more upgrades. 2. You're not too concerned about scratches and such. 3. You know your current Jeep inside and out. New Jeep: 1. Love that power! 2. Warranty! Warranty! Warranty! 3. Brand new car smell! 4. Hey it's a 13'
It all comes down to what is important to you. Everybody has different ideas, and they are all valid, but it is what will work for your situation that counts. What choice will give you that bigger smile. Good Luck with this

Quick Reply: Opinions needed, Should I trade my 2010 JKUR for a 2013 JKUR??