Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Opinions for a soon-to-be Jeep owner?

Old 10-23-2012, 05:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions for a soon-to-be Jeep owner?

Hey everyone. I've been creeping around the forum for months now, but decided to finally post and pick your minds. So obviously, I want to get a Wrangler. I currently have a 2010 Genesis Coupe, but it has become a tedious job getting a 14 month old in and out of the back seat. I love everything about the car, but having a family with a little one now it's just not as practical. So I'm looking at trading it in for a 4dr Wrangler.

I'm probably going to pick one up used so I'd like some opinions. What would you prefer? a 2011 Sport or older Sahara? Basically...lower mileage with less options or higher mileage with more options (which I'm used to with my Genesis). I haven't found any specific ones yet. I was just trying to get some opinions from people with experience.

Thanks and hope to be a Jeep owner soon!
Old 10-23-2012, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would definitely do lower mileage, less options...

For a couple reasons:
1. Doesn't matter what it comes with in terms of features, you'll end up changing everything anyway.
2. Having driven the 2011 v 2012 the difference in power is substantial so if u can find one used go for 2012

Other considerations, are you going to wheel with it? Be sure to check gears, lockers, disconnects, suspension and the other expensive things that u get with a higher model like rubi or sahara as opposed to sport. I have a brand new sport that i purchased with then intention of upgrading slowly, I wish I knew about gears/gearing beforehand since I now want to go to a larger tire...
Old 10-23-2012, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

If I was gonna get a JK without the 3.6 I would go for the 2011 that way you still get the nice interior and you may get a real good deal on one cause a lot of guys are trading in for the 3.6 engine. But that's just me. If you go older yet I'd defiantly get a Sahara or a loaded sport. Don't get the basic model, not that there is anything wrong with them I'd just get one with as many bells and whistles as possible I think with a wife and kids its just makes their jeep experience better.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

2011 is nice even though its got the old powertrain. I would still rather get a 2012 sport than a 2011 Sahara. As long it's got A/C and power windows! That would be the best options for hauling kids.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:00 PM
JK Newbie

Didn't know the specifics on the 3.8 vs 3.6 comparison, but thanks for the heads up on that. I'll be keeping my eye out for '12s, but we'll see how that goes. Maybe I can find a deal on a '12 Sport. If not, I think I'd lean towards a '11 Sport instead of an older Sahara with it's higher mileage.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Check into the gear ratios and the springs which are different for each model. Both make a difference in how the jeep handles and what size tires you can add with out many modifications.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:29 PM
JK Newbie

I plan on probably just doing 33's as opposed to 35's for cost and has mileage reasons. Of course there's other mods planned. We do plan on doing some trails/camping too. My wife really liked the idea of expeditions and camping getaways.

I'm going with an automatic for numerous reasons (wife is more comfortable driving a.t., traffic to/from work).

Quick Reply: Opinions for a soon-to-be Jeep owner?