Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

PETITION -- JK Clockspring & Airbag Light

Old 02-18-2015, 10:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just had my clock-spring replaced at our local Jeep dealer. Parts and labor came to just over $380. I checked all over the web to see if there was any information on an extended warranty for this issue and couldn't find anything other than for the RHD models. If anyone has verification of Jeep extending the warranty for this, please post it so the rest of us can possibly get reimbursed.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default filed complaint

filed the following complaint today with the NHTSA.

While driving the Jeep the airbag warning light came on with the warning chime. The light continued to go on and off intermittently and the chime sounded. I took the Jeep to the local dealer who I bought it from and they determined it was a faulty clock spring in the steering column. I researched this issue on line and learned that this is a common problem on this model of Jeep. Right hand drive models have been recalled for this issue and the clock springs replaced, but there is no such recall for the Left hand drive vehicles. The on line information indicated that this issue could cause the airbag to not deploy in an accident, so I had it replaced by the dealer at my expense. This issue should be addressed by Chrysler and owners who've had their clock springs replaced for this issue should be reimbursed for their expense.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 08 jku lhd clockspring went out around 95000 miles this is complete bull there is no recall on this this is a saftey issue not some seat issue. anyone know of any tips on keeping the next one from going bad i am gonna order one and install myself. complaint filed NHTSA ID Number: 10701758
Old 07-07-2015, 08:49 AM
JK Newbie

Default Filed another complaint

This is what I submitted:

On a 2009 Jeep Wrangler (LHD) dashboard, the airbag warning light flashes on every other minute with a chime, an indication that there is something malfunctioning or interfering with the vehicle's airbags. The vehicle also no longer has functioning speed control. This has been a recurring issue and concern for many 2007-2012 Jeep Wrangler (LHD) owners, including myself, and has been shown time and time again to be caused by a faulty clockspring within the vehicle's steering wheel. The faulty clockspring is the a safely concern due to a potential airbag failure in the 2009 Jeep Wrangler (LHD) during an accident.

As mentioned before, it was fast and painless. My Confirmation Number (ODI Number) is: 10732430.

I am going to buy one off E-bay or Amazon and fix it myself for now. This occurred at 45k miles.

Last edited by Dunckelman; 07-07-2015 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I filed one today for my 2010. I need to change mine before I can get it inspected this year.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:48 PM
JK Newbie

Had my clock spring in my '08 go out about 4 yrs ago and had to pay for it despite the fact that it clearly wasn't just an '07 problem. Called Jeep and told them that I was very aware that it wasn't only an '07 issue as I follow many forums. A few weeks later I got a refund check from Jeep Corp.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:07 AM
JK Newbie

Please keep up with the petition even if you don't have the issue yet.

Here is what I submitted:

"Recently the air bag light in my JK Jeep Wrangler (2008) began illuminating, indicating a problem. I did some investigation online to troubleshoot the issue, prior to getting it serviced at my local Jeep dealer in Grand Junction, CO and determined it was likely the clockwork spring since there were some many reports of failure on multiple online forums.

In addition, about a week later my electronic sway bar disconnect system (Rubicon model) would not re-engage after a camping trip. I had to drive down a mountain pass and on a stretch of 75 MPH interstate without a sway and an air bag which was scary and dangerous. I did some investigation online into the sway bar which also is a common failure in this model of Jeeps.

So I took it into the dealership to get both issues looked at. Jeep confirmed it was the clockwork spring causing the air bag light ($48.00 diagnosis) and said that the sway bar disconnect motor ($96.00 diagnosis) had failed. They quoted me for $410 to get the clockwork spring fixed & $1410 to replace the sway bar. No promise was made to reimburse me for the diagnosis and repair cost should the issues become recalls since they are under investigation and so common.

I took initiative to self determine the cause of the sway bar not reconnecting since I suspected that the electronic motor was still functioning since I could hear and feel to motor operating before & after I took my vehicle into the dealership for service. After disassembling the unit (never been tampered with prior), I found water and rusty parts inside and could see that the unit as poorly designed judging from the one small spring that is suppose to work to re-engage the sway bar by pushing the internal gears (now rusty) back together. I simply applied some grease to the parts and reinstalled the unit. To my delight this allowed the motor (still functioning) to reconnect the sway bar.

It is unconscionable to put motorist in harms way without a functioning air bag system and / or sway bar due to poorly vehicle construction and then charge for diagnosis and repair costs. Please issue recalls for the clockwork spring and the lack of water protection for the electronic sway bar disconnect system before fatalities occur.

Thank you for your consideration."
Old 07-26-2015, 05:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by grandjunktion
Please keep up with the petition even if you don't have the issue yet.

Here is what I submitted:

"Recently the air bag light in my JK Jeep Wrangler (2008) began illuminating, indicating a problem. I did some investigation online to troubleshoot the issue, prior to getting it serviced at my local Jeep dealer in Grand Junction, CO and determined it was likely the clockwork spring since there were some many reports of failure on multiple online forums.

In addition, about a week later my electronic sway bar disconnect system (Rubicon model) would not re-engage after a camping trip. I had to drive down a mountain pass and on a stretch of 75 MPH interstate without a sway and an air bag which was scary and dangerous. I did some investigation online into the sway bar which also is a common failure in this model of Jeeps.

So I took it into the dealership to get both issues looked at. Jeep confirmed it was the clockwork spring causing the air bag light ($48.00 diagnosis) and said that the sway bar disconnect motor ($96.00 diagnosis) had failed. They quoted me for $410 to get the clockwork spring fixed & $1410 to replace the sway bar. No promise was made to reimburse me for the diagnosis and repair cost should the issues become recalls since they are under investigation and so common.

I took initiative to self determine the cause of the sway bar not reconnecting since I suspected that the electronic motor was still functioning since I could hear and feel to motor operating before & after I took my vehicle into the dealership for service. After disassembling the unit (never been tampered with prior), I found water and rusty parts inside and could see that the unit as poorly designed judging from the one small spring that is suppose to work to re-engage the sway bar by pushing the internal gears (now rusty) back together. I simply applied some grease to the parts and reinstalled the unit. To my delight this allowed the motor (still functioning) to reconnect the sway bar.

It is unconscionable to put motorist in harms way without a functioning air bag system and / or sway bar due to poorly vehicle construction and then charge for diagnosis and repair costs. Please issue recalls for the clockwork spring and the lack of water protection for the electronic sway bar disconnect system before fatalities occur.

Thank you for your consideration."
Scratch that.......Ugh the NHTSA only allows 1901 characters. I guess they don't want the whole story.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:21 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by grandjunktion
Scratch that.......Ugh the NHTSA only allows 1901 characters. I guess they don't want the whole story.
Ugh... it gets worse....after shortening it down to this it tells me that they only receive complaints M-F between 8 AM - 8 PM. It's not like I'm dropping it off at an office. This is bullshit but i'll keep trying.

Recently the air bag light in my JK Jeep Wrangler (2008) began illuminating. I did some investigation prior to servicing it at the dealer and determined it was likely the clockwork spring since there were some many reports of failure. In addition, my electronic sway bar disconnect system would not re-engage after a camping trip. I drove down a mountain pass and on a stretch of 75 MPH interstate without a sway and an air bag which was dangerous. I took it into the dealership to get both issues looked at. Jeep confirmed it was the clockwork spring causing the air bag light ($48.00 diagnosis) and that the sway bar disconnect motor ($96.00 diagnosis) had failed. They quoted me for $410 to get the clockwork spring fixed & $1410 to replace the sway bar. No promise was made to reimburse me for the diagnosis and repair cost should the issues become recalls since they are under investigation. I took initiative to self determine the cause of the sway bar not reconnecting since I suspected that the electronic motor was still functioning (I could hear and feel to motor operating before & after I took my vehicle into the dealership for service). After disassembling (never been tampered with prior), I found water and rusty parts inside and could see that the unit as poorly designed judging from the one small spring that is suppose to work to re-engage the sway bar by pushing the internal gears (now rusty) back together. I simply applied some grease to the parts and reinstalled the unit. To my delight this allowed the motor to reconnect the sway bar. It is unconscionable to put motorist in harms way without a functioning air bag system and / or sway bar due to poorly vehicle construction and then charge for diagnosis and repair costs. Please issue recalls for the clockwork spring and the lack of water protection for the electronic sway bar disconnect system before fatalities occur.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:49 AM
JK Newbie

Just thought I would update this thread with what I have just learned about the progress of the initial investigation (PE 15-025) launched by the NHTSA in June 2015. If you have an air bag light on with your Jeep please submit a complaint to the NHTSA so that I recall is issued for the LHD Jeeps.

Apparently the NHTSA is moving forward with their investigation with an Engineering Analysis (EA 15-007) for the issue started 12/4/2015.

The agency's Office of Defects Investigation investigative process consists of four parts:

Screening -- A preliminary review of consumer complaints and other information related to alleged defects to decide whether to open an investigation
Analysis -- An analysis of any petitions calling for defect investigations and/or reviews of safety-related recalls
Investigation -- The investigation of alleged safety defects
Management -- Investigation of the effectiveness of safety recalls.

So it seems there is a long way to go before this issue get recalled. If anyone else has an idea of how long it might take, please chime in.

Once again if you have this problem with your jeep, please report it to the NHTSA.

Quick Reply: PETITION -- JK Clockspring & Airbag Light