Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Potential Owner - Need Help

Old 11-14-2007, 06:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential Owner - Need Help

Whats up guys... Long time lurker, but I finally joined. Not really new to jeeps. I helped a friend about two years ago build his TJ with a RE Long Arm Kit and 1 Ton axles. Anyway, since then I have wanted a Jeep. Anyhow, for about 6 months now I have been looking at buying a Rubicon Unlimited. My question is... How are they on the Hwy when they are lifted with bigger tires? My job is in sales so I put about 35K miles a year on a vehicle. I am going to be trading in my Crew Cab Silverado in January and was going to get a Z71, but the Rubicon is what I really want. No other 4x4 comes close to it. Customers do ride with me so it cant be some crazy setup, I still need to have credibility when pulling up somewhere. So anyhow, I will lift it and have at least 35's on it. I would like 37s. Can anyone with this setup comment on the vehicle handling and ride on the hwy? Gas mileage? It would mostly be used on road but I would use it to hunt, pull my boat, and trail ride on weekends. Any problems from lifting them? I am open to suggestions and opinions....

- Jacob
Old 11-14-2007, 09:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With 35s and alot of hwy driving you'll want to regear. The 3.8 is just adequate with the stock tire size. With 35s its sorta like you're building up steam to go 70. As for ride, I guess that depends quite a bit on the lift you decide on according to a recent issue of Perterson's 4 wheel drive mag which did a shootout of 8 or so different lifts. According the them the Black Diamond by Superlift rode really well on the road. That is one of the main reasons I picked it. MY SL rides stiffer than the stock setup but is by no means rough or harsh. I enjoy the feeling. I have 35s and I'll definately regear in the future. My mpg have fallen from about 18 stock to about 15 now but I think I can lighten my toe in alignment a bit to get a little more economy. Good luck. I love my Jeep and don't regret my decision at all. The only thing I might change is a stick instead of an auto.

Quick Reply: Potential Owner - Need Help