Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Price difference between JK and TJ parts

Old 06-18-2013, 06:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Price difference between JK and TJ parts

Looking through the Quadratec catalog and seeing a $400 to $500 difference in price between a Warn bumper for a JK and a TJ. Are the parts really that different that it warrants this ridiculous price difference? There are other parts like this as well. Not sure there is anything we can do about it either.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

JK's are a little wider and require more steel than a TJ bumper but not that much......most companies are just charging what the market will bare instead of what they really should be charging. We have to cover their fancy shops, high dollar water jets and their shop rigs that cost about 80k to build. There are a few small shops that are within reality and aren't trying to get rich off of us. I myself would never pay $1500+ for a rear bumper with a tire carrier and hope it shows up in 6 weeks but some people will.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:14 AM
JK Junkie

There's also R&D that we're paying for. Realistically- the front bumpers worked on all CJ, YJ, and TJ's but the JK is a different platform. The same cannot be said for the rear- the old jeeps had exposed framerails just like we do except they've got a flat piece of metal connecting the two that provides additional points to bolt to.

Get someone local to fab you something up- it's usually cheaper.

Sent from my DROID4
Old 06-18-2013, 07:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Supply and demand .....but mostly just demand what my guess is what makes the price more. I don't follow TJ products at all, but my guess is there probably aren't many new products hitting the market nowadays (that's just a total guess and i could be very wrong there).
Old 06-18-2013, 07:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Someone like Warn is not getting new gear just for building JK-specific parts. I certainly buy the argument re market pricing, but it's getting close to robbery. Yes - I will be fabbing my own with help from capable friends and will post up results.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:37 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by PG-JKU
Someone like Warn is not getting new gear just for building JK-specific parts. I certainly buy the argument re market pricing, but it's getting close to robbery. Yes - I will be fabbing my own with help from capable friends and will post up results.
I just meant when the JK came out, all these companies had to come up with designs, drawings prototypes ect to make these products. Hence why these prices are still high. Once the new generation Wrangler.....KX (or whatever they call it lol) comes out, I'd imagine JK parts will eventually start to drop a little
Old 06-18-2013, 07:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by kh202
I just meant when the JK came out, all these companies had to come up with designs, drawings prototypes ect to make these products. Hence why these prices are still high. Once the new generation Wrangler.....KX (or whatever they call it lol) comes out, I'd imagine JK parts will eventually start to drop a little
Agreed - I hope so too.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:55 AM
JK Junkie

Agreed - I hope so too.
Off topic, but I'm getting curious as to what the next letters will be lol
Old 06-18-2013, 12:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think everyone knows this pain, and that's the best and worst thing about a mostly free market. The maker of that part can charge whatever they wish for it--you can either decide to buy it, or not! Fabbing your own is certainly an option...maybe it will turn out good and you could start a business behind it
Old 06-18-2013, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Imo the tj r&d was payed off 15 years ago and has not changed . New products are still coming out for the jk daily. With so many competers makeing jk parts they have to price the products higher to make the same profit. If only aev made bumpers they could pump out 10000 and sell them for 300 a piece with ease and still cover all r&d man power and rent. But aev might only sell 700 a year and they have almost the same expense( - some man power and material)

Quick Reply: Price difference between JK and TJ parts