Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Problems with driveshaft replacement

Old 04-17-2013, 05:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with driveshaft replacement

So I call my local 4x4 shop and I ask them how much it cost put on my rear drive shaft ( I have already take it off). He says $40, blew me away I was expecting way more. Well I drive down there give them the keys and he walks in the shop looks at my Jeep and says it will cost upwards to $280 because my pinion bearing needs to be replaced. Does this sound right?
Old 04-17-2013, 05:35 AM
JK Super Freak

It's always something else. Is this shop a reputable one in your area? Did you have any problems with vibrations or sounds from your rear axle? The drive shaft swap is really easy to do in your garage with a hammer and wrench.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sgt Mack
It's always something else. Is this shop a reputable one in your area? Did you have any problems with vibrations or sounds from your rear axle? The drive shaft swap is really easy to do in your garage with a hammer and wrench.
Yeah I was recommended there, and I did have noises when I had my old drive shaft on but after taking it off the noises have stoped so would it be okay to just go ahead and put the drive shaft on ?
Old 04-17-2013, 07:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are probably think the pinion shims will need to be redone since you are replacing the yoke, technically they are right, but you can get away without re shimming if you are careful.

Depending on the miles on you jeep it is possible the pinion bearings do need to be done.

Quick Reply: Problems with driveshaft replacement