Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Protection in the mountain?

Old 09-16-2013, 04:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Protection in the mountain?

My wife and I are headed to the mountains for some camping and jeepin, do you guys think it is necessary to bring protection in the form of a fire arm.....45?

In Texas, its ok to carry in you car, but dont know about state boarders....
Old 09-16-2013, 04:18 AM
JK Freak

I always believe that its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. In Wyoming I take my pistol camping, hiking or anything outdoors but we have different laws to.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Always carry. Do yourself a favor and get your concealed carry license. In Texas they just passes a couple of new laws making it easier to get your ccl.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Check with the laws in the states your traveling thru. Generally if it's unloaded in a locked glove box you should not have a problem. Then you can take it out when you arrive on the trail.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:16 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

We carry,mostly for bears who want to Steal your Dr.Pepper
Old 09-16-2013, 06:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by v8zracer260z
Check with the laws in the states your traveling thru. Generally if it's unloaded in a locked glove box you should not have a problem. Then you can take it out when you arrive on the trail.
Agreed, better to have and not need it then to need it and not have it. But as stated here, check the laws of the states you are traveling through. I live in PA and have a conceal carry but live right next to the borders of new york and new jersey which are not nearly as firearm friendly.
Old 09-16-2013, 06:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by devwil68
My wife and I are headed to the mountains for some camping and jeepin, do you guys think it is necessary to bring protection in the form of a fire arm.....45?

In Texas, its ok to carry in you car, but dont know about state boarders....
.45 isn't bad however, won't penetrate a bear hide and under layer of fat as well as say, a .357, 10mm or .44. A .45 also doesn't penetrate the skull well either. Even a +p round is limited with a bear as well. not to mention, you want stopping power for a bear. with that, in an elevated situation, carry something that can pose damage to the body. you more than likely wouldn't hit the head anyway. That is one animal you don't want to just piss off. Pepper spray (bear spray) works well. I carry a 10mm when hiking. Haven't had to use it yet.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you used to carrying? Ever handled a firearm before?

My advice would be if you answered no, then maybe now isn't the time. If you haven't carried before and want to before this trip, check out some basic firearm safety stuff and read up on open carry versus concealed carry laws in your own state and neighboring states. I'm not against carrying at all, but I think it should be accompanied with some good confidence training in its use. There's a first time for everything, of course, but fumbling for a pistol in the dark while trying to get away from a bear might not be the best time to figure it all out.

If you have carried, then carry on...just read up on neighboring state's laws if you are questioning.
Old 09-16-2013, 08:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jk_sea
Are you used to carrying? Ever handled a firearm before?

My advice would be if you answered no, then maybe now isn't the time. If you haven't carried before and want to before this trip, check out some basic firearm safety stuff and read up on open carry versus concealed carry laws in your own state and neighboring states. I'm not against carrying at all, but I think it should be accompanied with some good confidence training in its use. There's a first time for everything, of course, but fumbling for a pistol in the dark while trying to get away from a bear might not be the best time to figure it all out.

If you have carried, then carry on...just read up on neighboring state's laws if you are questioning.
I agree. I've been plinking for about 30 years or so. Know the laws, get familiar with the tool, and carry with conviction.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

In the woods I prefer to carry my Ruger GP 100. Its rather inexpensive and will get the job done.

Quick Reply: Protection in the mountain?