Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

The psychology of Jeep

Old 09-27-2012, 05:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The psychology of Jeep

I live in south Florida. Like most people, I used to drive around nearly all year with the windows up and the climate control set to 72 degrees. I opened the windows only when the temperature was below 80 and it was reasonably dry. Meaning at night in February. There are good reasons for this. I often go to work in a long sleeve shirt and tie. In the summer it is typically above 90 degrees until after sunset. There are daily thunderstorms that, rather than cool things down, actually make it more steamy. The humidity is routinely between 70 and 80 percent when it is not raining. And the sun is scorching about 6 months out of the year. I shave my head, and my dermatologist keeps telling me to avoid the sun and wear hats. I love Florida. I workout outside nearly every day. I go to the beach. But it is hot and damp. -- In June I bought a Wrangler. In the middle of the south Florida summer. I drove the Wrangler home from the dealer with the top down. It did not go up for several days when I was forced to put it up in preparation for a downpour. Since then the top has been down more than it has been up. Luckily I park in a garage both at home and at work. I pride myself on keeping the top down as much as possible. No matter the time of day. No matter the temperature. No matter how I'm dressed or where I'm going. Around here, you can drive into a surprise wall of water at any moment. I am addicted to the radar app on my phone and I know where all the gas stations and covered public garages are along my usual routes where I can put up the top in an emergency. I'm now much more in tune with what is happening around me. I take the slow route to work rather than the highway. I know when it is getting hotter or cooling down, when the humidity is high or the wind is blowing. And how everything smells along the way. From the local burger spot and the bagel bakery to road kill and the cargo shipping terminal (not good). I hear other vehicles, birds, construction activity, even people talking. Everything seems closer, like I am part of it, rather than viewing a movie taking place outside the window as in most sealed vehicles. I don't care if I sweat a little on the way to work. Or get caught in a little shower. And kids love the Wrangler. One day recently I dropped my son off at school and overheard two grade school kids fighting over which one could claim dibs on the Jeep. My son loved that. I have a whole different attitude about driving. It's not just a car. I haven't felt this way about a mode of transportation since I owned my last motorcycle. But the Wrangler is a lot more useful. I wonder how owning a Jeep has affected the rest of you.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:56 PM
AJB
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my Jeep in July. I know what you mean about the weather here. I love keeping the top down as much as possible and that is why I always keep my rain gear cover close, hope for the best, and monitor the baro on my watch or the radar app on my phone. I came from from driving a highly modded GT Mustang where I loved to speed and get to where I am going as fast as possible.

Now with Jeep, I just try to smile and take my time getting to where I am going. The Jeep allows me to sit back and just enjoy the ride, which I feel is what life is all about anyways.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by RedJupiter
I live in south Florida. Like most people, I used to drive around nearly all year with the windows up and the climate control set to 72 degrees. I opened the windows only when the temperature was below 80 and it was reasonably dry. Meaning at night in February. There are good reasons for this. I often go to work in a long sleeve shirt and tie. In the summer it is typically above 90 degrees until after sunset. There are daily thunderstorms that, rather than cool things down, actually make it more steamy. The humidity is routinely between 70 and 80 percent when it is not raining. And the sun is scorching about 6 months out of the year. I shave my head, and my dermatologist keeps telling me to avoid the sun and wear hats...................
Old 09-27-2012, 07:35 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Rednroll
HAHA!! That's harsh man!!

OP I feel you man... I really enjoy my Jeep. 85 degrees in NC today and 87 tomorrow. Top is off and I can't wait to drive to work tomorrow...

I need a dang picture with the top down

Old 09-27-2012, 07:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i got my jeep after a worried wife convinced me to leave the motorcycles behind . top down doors off , is really close to the sensations sights and smells you get on a bike . safer too
Old 09-28-2012, 02:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Hey! That was the edited version! Laughing.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AJB
I just got my Jeep in July. I know what you mean about the weather here. I love keeping the top down as much as possible and that is why I always keep my rain gear cover close, hope for the best, and monitor the baro on my watch or the radar app on my phone. I came from from driving a highly modded GT Mustang where I loved to speed and get to where I am going as fast as possible.

Now with Jeep, I just try to smile and take my time getting to where I am going. The Jeep allows me to sit back and just enjoy the ride, which I feel is what life is all about anyways.
What do you use for a rain cover? I can get the main part of the top up in under two minutes. But by then I could be drenched. If you have something faster I'd love to know what it is.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:22 AM
MTG
JK Freak

Great story!

We named it:

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?1...rphic-Disorder
Old 09-28-2012, 10:19 AM
AJB
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RedJupiter
What do you use for a rain cover? I can get the main part of the top up in under two minutes. But by then I could be drenched. If you have something faster I'd love to know what it is.
I just use a rain gear rain cover. I don't like bringing the windows around with me. I also have a spinal injury which makes putting up the soft top a chore sometimes.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:25 AM
JK Junkie

It's a Jeep thing and You Understand

Quick Reply: The psychology of Jeep